Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: FN Deluxe Rifle. Restore or not?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
Wanabebwana
.300 member

Reged: 11/01/13
Loc: Canada
FN Deluxe Rifle. Restore or not?
      #282105 - 09/05/16 10:03 AM

I recently acquired a mid 1950s FN Deluxe sporting rifle. It has its original finish on both wood and metal, original sights and an excellent bore. It has not been drilled for scope mounts or receiver sights. It is chambered for the .300 Savage. It has quite a few dings and scratches on the wood and a few surface scratches on the barrel but no rust or pitting and the checkering is perfect.
Should I just keep it as is or should I refinish the stock with oil?
I own quite a few hunting rifles, all M98 actions, 6 Browning safari grades, a custom 98, 5 Husqvarna 146s and 640s and a BRNO ZG 47. I have 6 different versions of FNs from the pre war M98 pattern to the FN supreme 400 series standard length magnum and H&H cut out version.Including the transitional 1947 and 1948 models. The Deluxe was the missing link.
I would like to hear from members who have experience with this rifle. Thanks.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: FN Deluxe Rifle. Restore or not? [Re: Wanabebwana]
      #282112 - 09/05/16 10:55 AM

Quite a collection.
I think I'd refinish it, if I couldn't live with it's condition, that is. Quite a few dings and scratches does not sound bad at all, however, you are the one with the gun and know what quite a few dings and scratches actually means. With the checkering perfect, the overall condition sounds to be quite fair. It's been used.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

sharps4590
.300 member

Reged: 09/03/16
Loc: Missouri Ozarks
Re: FN Deluxe Rifle. Restore or not? [Re: DarylS]
      #282128 - 09/05/16 09:35 PM

I'm not very high on refinishing or altering older firearms but I look more at posterity than my wants. As with vintage cars they're only original once. Complete restorations are a different matter but they have to be pretty rough. I would leave it alone but, that's one man's opinion. Ultimately it is your rifle.

--------------------
Jesus said, "I am the way the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John14:6

88MauSporter
.375 member

Reged: 06/06/07
Loc: Alaska / Texas
Re: FN Deluxe Rifle. Restore or not? [Re: sharps4590]
      #282134 - 10/05/16 01:23 AM

Tell me about the 1947-48 transitional model. I have a very nice FN in .375 H&H. It has the solid side rail commercial action but has the original 180 degree wing safety and a thumb safety on the side of the receiver connected to the trigger. Perhaps this may be one?

--------------------
"A hunter should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everthing goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." 88MauSporter

mckinney
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/09
Loc: usa
Re: FN Deluxe Rifle. Restore or not? [Re: sharps4590]
      #282135 - 10/05/16 01:28 AM

I agree. I wouldn't restore it unless it's in really rough shape and, even then, it probably wouldn't be cost effective with that particular rifle. I've had a few older guns restored and have now changed my thinking. That said, if you do restore it I'd suggest you go for a sympathetic restoration by someone really good.

Louis
.375 member

Reged: 13/05/15
Loc: France
Re: FN Deluxe Rifle. Restore or not? [Re: mckinney]
      #282162 - 10/05/16 04:05 PM

I bought some time ago a 1957-proofed FN in .357 H&H - which I think to be a Deluxe model, from Joel Dorleac, see http://www.dorleac-dorleac.com/arme/mauser-pirschbuchse-30-06-2/?lang=en . As I wanted some work to be conducted on the rifle (rifle scope fitting, extending the LOP, some wood work, etc.) we ended-up with an almost complete restoration and with a rifle much different than the one we had started with, see http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=277232&an=0&page=1#Post277232 . That's still a FN for the action and barrel, but for the style it is now much closer from British or Dorleac classic rifles.
Louis

--------------------
"Everything that doesn't kill me makes me stronger"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #282174 - 10/05/16 08:20 PM

Quote:

I recently acquired a mid 1950s FN Deluxe sporting rifle. It has its original finish on both wood and metal, original sights and an excellent bore. It has not been drilled for scope mounts or receiver sights. It is chambered for the .300 Savage. It has quite a few dings and scratches on the wood and a few surface scratches on the barrel but no rust or pitting and the checkering is perfect.
Should I just keep it as is or should I refinish the stock with oil?
I own quite a few hunting rifles, all M98 actions, 6 Browning safari grades, a custom 98, 5 Husqvarna 146s and 640s and a BRNO ZG 47. I have 6 different versions of FNs from the pre war M98 pattern to the FN supreme 400 series standard length magnum and H&H cut out version.Including the transitional 1947 and 1948 models. The Deluxe was the missing link.
I would like to hear from members who have experience with this rifle. Thanks.

Some photos of this rifle might help. Also it would be great to see a thread of your many rifles displayed on it. I can help with hosting the photos.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Wanabebwana
.300 member

Re: FN Deluxe Rifle. Restore or not? [Re: NitroX]
      #282267 - 12/05/16 04:37 PM

The pre-war FN actions are identical to the Mauser 98 pattern but with gently curved down bolt handle with knob cut and checkered on underside,thumb cut,long magazine tang with lock screw on outside and C collar.

The post war 1947 version has the swept back low bolt handle of the Deluxe and Supreme action but retains the 3 position wing safety. It has a thumb cut in left wall but the sides of the clip slots on the rear bridge are cut straight (instead of like a claw). The rear bridge retains the hump. Solid round bolt knob.Short magazine tang with Forster screw on inside.

The next version 1948 same as above but no thumb cut and with H collar. Has extended floorplate release latch as found on Deluxe and hump as above.( My favorite. Has M98 cues and stronger left wall.)

The next version is the Deluxe action as above but with flat rear bridge with no clip slot.Bolt knob cut and checkered on underside.Two position low scope safety and FN logo on front receiver bridge. Contoured trigger guard. No Forster(lock) screws. Made until 1963.

None of these are factory drilled for peep sights or for scope mounting. Scope mount hole locations were standardized in 1951 and it's only after this date that FN started drilling holes on right side of rear bridge for peep sights and on top of receiver.

The Supreme or 400 series was introduced in 1959 and has a much improved trigger with a sliding 3 position safety. This allows a streamlined bolt shroud. The floorplate is hinged with a release in front of an even more contoured trigger guard.These were drilled for scope mounts. Many were also drilled for Peep sights. Built until 1974.

In 1967 FN introduced the New Magnum. Increasing manufacturing costs forced a redesign replacing the long controlled feed extractor to the Sako type. The bolt guide rail was eliminated and the mechanical ejector was replaced by the plunger type.

No matter which one you get they are all the finest post war actions available and were the action of choice for H&H, Rigby, Dumoulin, Westley Richards,and Weatherby. They even found their way into the J.C. HIggins offered by Sears Roebuck.

Left, pre-war (1939)FN,Mauser 98 clone with bent handle, Right 1948 FN solid left wall, parallel clip slot walls, swept bolt handle.

1947 FN action on Husqvarna 640, 9.3x62.
Swept down bolt, thumb cut,short TG front tang with lock screw.

Igorrock
.400 member

Reged: 01/03/07
Loc: Finland
      #282268 - 12/05/16 05:18 PM

Quote:

No matter which one you get they are all the finest post war actions available and were the action of choice for H&H, Rigby, Dumoulin, Westley Richards,and Weatherby. They even found their way into the J.C. HIggins offered by Sears Roebuck.

Don't forget finnish SAKO High Power and swedish Husqvarna.

--------------------
http://promaakari.wordpress.com/

Wanabebwana
.300 member

Re: FN Deluxe Rifle. Restore or not? [Re: Igorrock]
      #282276 - 12/05/16 11:03 PM

Quote: Don't forget finnish SAKO High Power and swedish Husqvarna.

Absolutely right, Colt 57 and Coltsman of late '50s used FN actions as did Winslow and H&R (and there are others).
Both Sako and HVA were built with FN actions until they decided to manufacture their own design.
Sako went to a push feed design with a small extractor, Husqvarna 1640 series were the first to have a small ring Mauser type action that was redesigned to reduce machining costs.
Depressed economic climate in Europe after WWII made FN actions affordable.This was not to last as costs quickly escalated in the '60s to the point where they were no longer cost effective to manufacture and discontinued in 1974. FN made small batches of bespoke BMS (Browning Mauser System) rifles that are ornately engraved and sell in the $20K range that are no longer offered. A CNC Mauser 98 action of equivalent quality to an FN costs upwards of $5000 today ( for a Granite Mountain) much more for a Prechtl.

Wanabebwana
.300 member

#282371 - 14/05/16 07:04 AM

FN Deluxe .300 Savage.

mckinney
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/09
Loc: usa
      #282372 - 14/05/16 07:08 AM

Based on the photos, my advice is don't restore it. There's nothing to restore that I can see. Looks like a nice rifle in very good condition.

4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
Re: FN Deluxe Rifle. Restore or not? [Re: mckinney]
      #282382 - 14/05/16 12:13 PM

Quote:

Based on the photos, my advice is don't restore it. There's nothing to restore that I can see. Looks like a nice rifle in very good condition.

I totally agree. That is a really nice rifle, and so much nicer to be in original rather than restored condition.
My opinion is to enjoy it exactly as it is.
The 300 Savage is a sweet little cartridge as well.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: FN Deluxe Rifle. Restore or not? [Re: 4seventy]
      #282423 - 15/05/16 02:30 PM

Looks to be in pretty good condition. I would use it as it use, and have fun with a fairly unusual chambering/calibre not much in use anymore.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

2152hq
.300 member

Reged: 20/05/12
Loc: USA
Re: FN Deluxe Rifle. Restore or not? [Re: NitroX]
      #282640 - 19/05/16 02:05 PM

Beautiful rifle.
I'd certainly leave it alone.
It needs nothing more than careful use.

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: FN Deluxe Rifle. Restore or not? [Re: 2152hq]
      #282660 - 19/05/16 08:38 PM

Nothing wrong with this one at all, the 300 savage was years ahead of it time, very efficient cartridge to boot!
Go out & burn some powder, I reckon this little beauty will surprise you!
Wish it was mine frankly!

Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
Re: FN Deluxe Rifle. Restore or not? [Re: 93x64mm]
      #283060 - 29/05/16 08:31 AM

G'Day Fella's,

Wanabebwana, it looks great, just as it is!
It would be a crime to touch an original FN, in such great condition!!!

Enjoy it, just as it is.

Doh!
Homer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 54 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6887

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com