Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: How does a soulless Tupperware rig play with you?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
Postman
.375 member

Reged: 25/09/13
Loc: Canada
How does a soulless Tupperware rig play with you?
      #281219 - 20/04/16 11:30 AM

So, I am generally enamoured with bespoke double rifles that fit like a glove and are pretty beyond all reason. On the other hand, I have a laminated stock stainless Sako Kodiak that has captured my heart in an unnatural way that I can't ignore and that I have become hopelessly smitten with...... Am I alone in the notion of being enamoured with such a soul-less rifle, made of stainless, and laminate? Utilitarian, durable, a tool, but far short of a work of art.....

How many others out there are smitten in a similar way?

What is your secret passion? Anyone care to share? What makes it special for you?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Iowa_303s
.400 member

Reged: 22/03/13
Loc: Iowa, USA
Re: How does a soulless Tupperware rig play with you? [Re: Postman]
      #281220 - 20/04/16 12:46 PM

I have a Mossberg 500 with phosphate metal finish and a black plastic stock that I use for ugly weather duck hunting.
I shoot the damn thing just as well as my bespoke SxS
Oh well, beauty is as beauty does.

--------------------
Matt

formerly known as Iowa_303

"Once your reputation is ruined you can live your life quite freely."

"Enkelkinder über alles"

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #281229 - 20/04/16 04:58 PM

I have a Stainless Rem 700 300SAUM -Cerakoted- wearing a composite stock and a Steyr Prohunter with the polymer stock that I gravitate to.

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: How does a soulless Tupperware rig play with you? [Re: Rule303]
      #281231 - 20/04/16 07:28 PM

My 7mm RM could NEVER be called 'soulless'

It started life around 35 years ago with a timber stock and it saw a lot of game,it then went to a hand made one off fibreglass stock...I reckon that I took the first sambar stag in Australia with a syn stocked rifle..it then went to a B+C stock that was on for (mem) 18 years,that took a lot of game too..a new 'latest model B+C replacement is still on today..that too has seen a lot of game rolled.. four scopes and a replacement SS barrel all have seen a lot of action...this old girl lacks a fair bit of blue in the places that wear only from carrying it a lot..it may be synthetic but this rifle has soul!

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

sharps4590
.333 member

Reged: 09/03/16
Loc: Missouri Ozarks
Re: How does a soulless Tupperware rig play with you? [Re: gryphon]
      #281232 - 20/04/16 09:05 PM

Well...about 20 years ago I built up a rifle for long range shooting, out to 1000 yards. It was stainless with a synthetic stock and shot like a house a'fire. I liked it for that but it was still the ugliest rifle I ever owned. After learning a great deal about long range shooting it went down the road and I reverted back to my Shiloh Sharps rifle for "reaching out to touch someone". So I guess no, none have ever wormed their way into my heart.

--------------------
Jesus said, "I am the way the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John14:6

Al333
.333 member

Reged: 24/02/13
Loc: B.C. Canada
Re: How does a soulless Tupperware rig play with you? [Re: sharps4590]
      #281235 - 20/04/16 11:37 PM

I have to admit I just bought a Ruger precision rifle in 6.5 creedmoor and it shoots like a dam out of the box. Al

Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
Re: How does a soulless Tupperware rig play with you? [Re: Al333]
      #281278 - 21/04/16 07:38 AM

G'Day Fella's,

Postman, I may be Schizophrenic, as I own several bespoke and custom timber stocked rifles but I have also restocked a number of factory rifles, with properly laid up fiberglass stocks!

When it all boils down, I do like Truly Consistent Accuracy from a rifle, and Stainless and Synthetic are just more practical!!!
Mind you, even my Stainless barreled actions have been Cerakoted, for additional protection from the elements! This makes then even more practical, and is one less thing to be concerned about!!!

Doh!
Homer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: How does a soulless Tupperware rig play with you? [Re: Homer]
      #281281 - 21/04/16 07:54 AM

I like my Mauser M03 extreme with its multiple barrels and plastic stock. The barrels are supposedly corrosive resistant. However I would like it even more with a really nice walnut stock ...

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

VonGruff
.400 member

Reged: 08/02/09
Loc: South Otago, New Zealand.
Re: How does a soulless Tupperware rig play with you? [Re: NitroX]
      #281308 - 21/04/16 12:56 PM

I had one once but no longer. It is good wood and steel for me.

--------------------
Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Igorrock
.400 member

Reged: 01/03/07
Loc: Finland
Re: How does a soulless Tupperware rig play with you? [Re: VonGruff]
      #281322 - 21/04/16 05:33 PM

In my case it depends on which kind of rifle we talking about. If it's modern rifle with minor details plastic/glasfiber stock is Ok. But with nice custom made classic rifle I prefer nice wallnut stock.

--------------------
http://promaakari.wordpress.com/

Schauckis
.300 member

Reged: 17/07/07
Loc: Finland
Re: How does a soulless Tupperware rig play with you? [Re: Igorrock]
      #281402 - 22/04/16 08:07 PM

Funny, yes!
I actually bought one on purpose specifically. When looking for it, I came across a superbly nice Sako Bavarian that also was attractively priced. My friends pushed me hard to buy it. Be it as it may, I was specifically seeking a rifle much like my toilet (rough, tough, takes no shit). I had decided to buy a Browning A-Bolt STS but then I stumbled on a ridiculously cheap Tikka T3 Lite STS (synthetic stock) in .30-06. Despite it being a tad ill-fitting, I bought it.
It has been to my main grounds in Europe and additionally to Idaho and Namibia. Performance is flawless and the accuracy superb.
Degree of sexiness zero.
But: It does precisely what it says on the tin.

- Lars/Finland

--------------------
A.k.a. Bwana One-Shot

lonewulf
.300 member

Reged: 06/08/12
Loc: South-East Otago, New Zealand
Re: How does a soulless Tupperware rig play with you? [Re: Schauckis]
      #281414 - 23/04/16 09:19 AM

I have a DWM contract Mauser with a SS barrel chambered in .308. It has a synthetic stock on it. At one point I modified the stock to give it a 'classic' profile and then fitted a 4X Khales.

The rifle shoots well enough I guess and the practicality of the materials make sense to me BUT, it isn't really something that I like to look at and nor do I get any real sense of joy when out hunting with it. When I encounter fellow hunters I tend to hide it from view.

chuck375
.333 member

Reged: 13/10/07
Loc: Colorado Springs CO
Re: How does a soulless Tupperware rig play with you? [Re: lonewulf]
      #281417 - 23/04/16 11:45 AM

Well when I was in Alaska hunting brown bear it rained all day every day I was there except the day after I got my brown bear (of course) when the float plane came in to pick us up. I had a Rem XCR II in 375 Weatherby with the muzzle taped with electrical tape the entire time. I still picked up spots of rust on the trigger and bolt cocking piece. I would've preferred one of my blued walnut rifles, but it did the job just fine and at 7 1/4 lbs with scope it's kinda nice to carry. I did replace those ugly nickel plated scope rings with CeraKoted Talley QRs before I gave it to my son.

--------------------
"There's a saying in prize fighting: Everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
Re: How does a soulless Tupperware rig play with you? [Re: chuck375]
      #281440 - 24/04/16 04:24 AM

When I was shooting high power rifle competitively on a regular basis, this was my go to rifle:

It had a pre-64 Model 70 Winchester clip slot action, a Jewell trigger, a Schneider barrel in caliber .308 Winchester, gunsmithed by George Fullmer, of Oakland, CA. It was fitted with a McMillan modified International stock, Redfield Palma rear sight and Tompkins spirit level front sight. The stock had an adjustable cheekpiece and buttplate and an accessory rail inletted in the fore end. It was ugly as sin, but it fit me perfectly and allowed me to shoot perfect scores at 600 yards on more than one occasion.

I don't own any hunting rifles of this nature.

ducmarc
.400 member

Reged: 14/07/14
Loc: fla
Re: How does a soulless Tupperware rig play with you? [Re: xausa]
      #281691 - 29/04/16 12:45 PM

All firearms have souls if we allow it.we are only caretakers of a piece of wood and metal.like paintings or furniture some fine some not.40 yrs from now someone handling grandpas stainless ruger with the plastic stock that he used to kill a big bull moose shows its soul.not the fact that he bought it on sale a WalMart after work one night. What's the life expectancy of a firearm? Three four hundred years.i have several good shooters well over a hundred. And my dads brown bess is closing in on 225

--------------------
'killed by death' Lemmy.. ' boil the dog ' Elvis Manywounds "my best friend is my magnum forty four" hank willams the third.

xausa
.400 member

#281703 - 29/04/16 09:20 PM

Quote:

I forgot to mention that I do have a Browning slide action shotgun, 12 gauge 3.5" Magnum, with a fiberglass stock I used to use for duck hunting. A nice piece of equipment, but strictly utilitarian.

458Win
.333 member

Reged: 15/12/06
Loc: Alaska
      #282645 - 19/05/16 05:40 PM

I have never understood why some people consider "art", like some splattering of paint on a canvas, to have "soul", and a working tool to be soul less.
My 458 has save my ass at least as many times as any weapon I carried in Vietnam and by that measure I suppose could be classified as my "soul mate"

--------------------
Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either never used one - or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Postman
.375 member

Reged: 25/09/13
Loc: Canada
Re: How does a soulless Tupperware rig play with you? [Re: 458Win]
      #282664 - 19/05/16 10:17 PM

Quote:

I have never understood why some people consider "art", like some splattering of paint on a canvas, to have "soul", and a working tool to be soul less.
My 458 has save my ass at least as many times as any weapon I carried in Vietnam and by that measure I suppose could be classified as my "soul mate"

That is an interesting perspective. Reminds me of when my dad passed some years ago, my young sister reached into his tool box and pulled out a particular well worn small ball peen hammer from a drawer that contained maybe 30 or so hammers and declared it hers. It is a ball peen hammer manufactured on an assembly line like millions of others, but to her it was special. To most just a tool, but to her it held a very different and significant meaning.

Gundog01
.333 member

Reged: 16/05/15
Loc: Ohio usa
      #282731 - 22/05/16 04:11 AM

I wouldn't mind a sako blackbear in 9.3x62 for hiking in bear country, when I came across a black bear and her cubs, and it stood up and postured at me, I felt hopelessly under gunned with my .44 and hunting knife.

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
      #282742 - 22/05/16 04:35 PM

Do you still have this?

Quote:

When I was shooting high power rifle competitively on a regular basis, this was my go to rifle:

It had a pre-64 Model 70 Winchester clip slot action, a Jewell trigger, a Schneider barrel in caliber .308 Winchester, gunsmithed by George Fullmer, of Oakland, CA. It was fitted with a McMillan modified International stock, Redfield Palma rear sight and Tompkins spirit level front sight. The stock had an adjustable cheekpiece and buttplate and an accessory rail inletted in the fore end. It was ugly as sin, but it fit me perfectly and allowed me to shoot perfect scores at 600 yards on more than one occasion.

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

xausa
.400 member

Re: How does a soulless Tupperware rig play with you? [Re: tinker]
      #282745 - 22/05/16 08:31 PM

I have had several of various calibers over the years, and yes, I still have three, I believe. I would have to check. I know I have one in 6mm Walker International and one in .308, which has been modified to take detachable Tikka magazines. I also have a 40X repeater in 6mm/.250 with detachable magazines.

I have been selling off my match rifles over the years, but I seem to have hit a brick wall, with most of the young shooters interested only in Black Rifles.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #282910 - 26/05/16 01:18 AM

Quote:

Quote:

That is an interesting perspective. Reminds me of when my dad passed some years ago, my young sister reached into his tool box and pulled out a particular well worn small ball peen hammer from a drawer that contained maybe 30 or so hammers and declared it hers. It is a ball peen hammer manufactured on an assembly line like millions of others, but to her it was special. To most just a tool, but to her it held a very different and significant meaning.

-----

First of all, my GOD is that a big skull...great bear --congrats...

Secondly, fully agree with your sister..Yes, I love and care for my wood stocked rifles with the fancy wood stocks, engraving, etc...but when I go "hunting" in the mtns for mtn game or generally when I am out for food, I am always reaching for my synthetic stocked firearms..weather doesn't change the POI typically, and don't care if I put a scratch or too in them while doing so..

At the end of the day, the memories I have from that adventure or hunt could care less if the "tool" or rifle I used had a wood stock or synthetic...

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: How does a soulless Tupperware rig play with you? [Re: Ripp]
      #282919 - 26/05/16 05:50 AM

Too right Ripp! I dont care really as to what tool is at hand when Mr Big stands up...as long as I have something other than my dick.Wood or syn have both been good to me.
The amount of soul that has gone into my old Mod 70 is enormous,only achieved my many many years of actually BEING in the bush!
Its no range rifle or safe queen or camp rifle to show off around the fire.
She has lots more living to do yet too.

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

Claydog
.375 member

Reged: 17/08/12
Loc: Katherine, Northern Territory ...
Re: How does a soulless Tupperware rig play with you? [Re: gryphon]
      #282928 - 26/05/16 08:02 AM

I have to agree with the last few comments. I have changed my tune on this over the years as I used to be a timber stocked man. The only plastic stocks I ever encountered growing up were cheap badly fitting numbers usually on mauser 96s. Then I went to New Zealand and borrowed an MG Arms .270 that was the lightest handiest rifle I have ever used. I still love my old timber stocked rifles but will just as soon pick up a synthetic stocked rifle. They have a different soul to a walnut stock but a soul none the less.

szihn
.400 member

Reged: 24/06/07
Loc: Wind River Valley, Wyoming
Re: How does a soulless Tupperware rig play with you? [Re: Claydog]
      #283004 - 28/05/16 12:48 AM

All my bolt actions, lever actions and my single shot have wood.
My military rifle all have fiberglass, plastic or metal (except for my M-1 Garand and my 1931 Mosin Nagant)

I have used every one of them to kill game with except the Mosin.

That includes my AKs my ARs and they killed all the deer and antelope with one shot each, except one time with an AR in 6.8 SPC in which I made a 1st shot too far back on an antelope and made a 2nd shot to finish it off.

I have also killed a fare share of game with my Flintlock rifles and 7 animals with a long bow with wood arrows.(5 deer, one elk and one antelope) I have never missed with my muzzleloader or needed a 2nd shot, but I sure have with my bow. More than I'd care to admit.

So I am of the opinion that it is the hunter doing the work, not the tool in his hands. Use what you like.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 42 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5646

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com