Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 52 Grand

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
52 Grand
      #281992 - 07/05/16 05:24 AM

Thats a lot of dough for a rifle eh!
Is this the going rate really?
M/Sports always have some good prices so I imagine this is a steal..is it?

http://www.gundepot.com.au/Listing/Details/370366

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: 52 Grand [Re: gryphon]
      #282014 - 07/05/16 09:51 PM

I checked around a couple months ago for a 500 Nitro Westley Richards..didn't see where the prices had gone that much higher than expected...

I dont know much on this carrier..but, dont think double have gone that much higher than they were in 2-3 years ago

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: 52 Grand [Re: Ripp]
      #282042 - 08/05/16 06:29 AM

Quality engraving can add significantly to the price. Looks to be very optimistic to me though.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Edited by NitroX (08/05/16 07:40 AM)

Shackleton
.300 member

Reged: 11/08/07
Loc: Iowa
Re: 52 Grand [Re: NitroX]
      #282822 - 24/05/16 01:55 PM

Saw a Westley Richards on consignment at the Owatonna Cabelas a few years ago-first DR I've seen in person. Made (IIRC) in the 50s, in .470 Express. Sent back to manufacturer in the 70s by the original owner for a set of barrels in .375 H&H. Both sets of barrels were included. Asking price at the time was $79,999.99. No idea if it ever sold, or at what price. All I remember is thinking it would almost pay for my house twice.

ETA-it was a beautiful rifle, easy to see why it was priced at an insane amount, but was the price insane for what the buyer got? Out of my league so I didn't bother looking into values.

--------------------
"I do not kill with my gun, he who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father. I kill with my heart."--Stephen King

Edited by Shackleton (24/05/16 01:56 PM)

Postman
.375 member

Reged: 25/09/13
Loc: Canada
Re: 52 Grand [Re: Shackleton]
      #282836 - 24/05/16 09:07 PM

Seems the price is rather on the high side to me, although as has been stated, engraving and other embellishments can add an astounding amount of cost to the price. In my humble and very limited experience, a "made to order" rifle will cost more than a rifle built and embellished by the factory "on speculation". As an example, I paid less for a Merkel off the shelf with full coverage engraving, cocking indicators, etc, etc, etc, vs the Merkel I special ordered that came as plain and bare as a new born's butt.

When I ordered another rifle, I found out painfully just how much each and every tidbit costs... Big bore versions tend to be built as "Safari" models and double the price. The 9.3x74R seems to be the cutoff caliber before one moves in to the so called safari grade calibers, generally starting at the .375H&H. Sidelock versions add a king's ransom, (on a small bore, side lock would just about double the cost on the base rifle), engraving is waaaaaay super expensive, particularly if you want the "deep engraving". I paid $7500 for shallow engraving, but the same engraving in deep relief would have run me well over $20k. The engraving, signed by M. Richter, is incredibly detailed, and looks like a photograph it is so lifelike, but quality artistry is hard to come by and it ain't' cheap. Even small items such as a tiny gold leaf stripe up the centre of the rear sight leaf will add $200.00. It all adds up VERY fast!!!!!!

Unfavourable exchange rates can also add to costs, and then to add insult to injury, sales taxes are generally slapped on top to ensure the government gets their rake off. In my case, 13% is added to the top at point of sale.

Edited by Postman (24/05/16 09:13 PM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 61 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2253

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com