Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: "The Mutha Elephant" by Sten Cedergren

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
"The Mutha Elephant" by Sten Cedergren
      #282557 - 18/05/16 06:22 AM

"The Mutha Elephant"
3 MB
By Sten Cedergren From The Adventurous Life of a Vagabond Hunter Published by Safari Press - Hunters of Yesteryear: 1959
David Ommanney, in his foreword to this book, wrote that he and his PH hunting friends all said the same thing about Cedegren: that he had ice water in his veins ...

Cedergren with his head, Nzvi, and a 114-lb bull tusk, Tana area, 1968

The young Cedergren never forgot J.A. Hunter's advice on hunting elephant: "Get as close as you can - and then get 10 yards closer!"

Cedergren'spersonal best trophy: The 'Mutha' elephant, 120 and 119 lbs. Yatta Plateau, Kenya, 1959

Cedergren's first buffalo, taken on his first safari in Uganda, 1955

In the Nickudu Files - Read other articles - click here

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: "The Mutha Elephant" by Sten Cedergren [Re: NitroX]
      #282569 - 18/05/16 07:58 AM

Days long gone and only if you have real money these days.

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: "The Mutha Elephant" by Sten Cedergren [Re: gryphon]
      #282574 - 18/05/16 09:00 AM

Quote:

Days long gone and only if you have real money these days.

Mostly true. But if I remember correctly a big tusker was shot by someone not tremendously well heeled not that long ago.

Still possible to find some reasonably priced hunts, if one saves hard for them, but becoming more difficult as time passes.

We are lucky in our country that still completely or near free hunting can still be found for most species of game.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

gryphon
.450 member

#282579 - 18/05/16 11:34 AM

Still possible to find some reasonably priced hunts,?

Does that mean reasonably sized tusks?

I see Altai Argali hunt thread elsewhere @ $65,000 USD. Thats a brand new Tojo 4wd!

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#282583 - 18/05/16 03:01 PM

"Cedergren'spersonal best trophy: The 'Mutha' elephant, 120 and 119 lbs. Yatta Plateau, Kenya, 1959"

Sort of gives the end of the story away beforehand but what an elephant!

"The rain was pelting down when I picked up my men, but inside the hunting car everybody was in high spirits at the prospect of once again being out in the bush - and the excitement of looking for a big tusker."

Things don't all change, a hunting trip is exciting to everyone and just getting away to the bush.

"There, in the middle of the road, was a pile of fresh elephant dung with huge tracks leading off into the bush. ... Muia stuck his toes into the dung heap and nodded excitedly, saying it was warm."

Aah that warm dung feeling on the toes .... !

" "Ndofu na choka!" (elephant getting tired) hissed Muia, pointing at the tracks, which now did not seem so far apart. Also, here and there we could see where the tusks had cut through the mud like plow discs - the elephant was slowing down. Munyoki offered to carry my rifle, but I refused. Never let go of your rifle, my mind kept saying as I ran - you never know when you will need it, particularly here where the visibility is only ten to fifteen yards. I must admit that the weight of my .500 Westley Richards was an added impediment, but on we ran."

The hunter carrying his own rifle is both sensible for having it when the shot presents itself, AND an insurance policy which has saved many an elephant hunter's life.

"I ran smack into Muia, who stood pointing with a heaving breast. Not twenty yards away I saw the upper part of the elephant's head, facing is. The huge animal stood as motionless as a statue. The, with a scream, he charged. He was tired and had no intention of running again."

The adrenalin rushes when the elephant is so close. And even more so, facing you and aware of you.

"My rifle leaped up, seemingly of its own volition, and I fired the right barrel. Too high! The elephant staggered and almost went to its kness, but quickly recovered. I gave him the second barrel, and he crashed to the ground."

Lessons:
  • A good well fitted and balanced double rifle will fit its owner like a quality side by side game shotgun, and rise naturally and fluidly to the shoulder - when it is needed;
  • The .500 Nitro Express cartridge with 570 gr projectiles might stun or drop a bull elephant even if the brain is missed. A lighter calibre may not have this effect. One reason the .500 Nitro Express is regarded as that bit more better for elephant hunting, than the .450 to .475 range of Nitro Express chambered rifles.
  • The advantage of having the second loaded barrel instantly available is obvious - in the thick thorn jess of 10 yards visibility, with a charging elephant, and where the first shot has not been perfect. What big double rifles are made for.

"I quickly reloaded. The only sounds to he heard were the hissing rain and my own heartbeats."

That beautiful silence when the bush in the rain is quiet after a shot, and one comes down from the adrenalin high.

"We walked slowly back to the car. Malelu had managed to pitch two small tents and get a fire going"

The pleasantness of having someone to setup a camp for some comfort when one returns sweaty, muddy, wet and tired from a hunt at the end of the day or returning in the night, is an immense pleasure.

"I idly wondered whether I would have the same courage as the old bull elephant: to bravely face my adversaries and charge when I was too tired to run anymore."

Don't we all. But with Sten Cedergren there is no doubt.

"and I went back to Nairobi to sell my tusks and buy my house on the coast."

The days when a "gentleman adventuror", an ivory hunter could make a living, if not a fortune by ivory hunting. Even in the days of licensed elephant hunting, the wiley hunter could amass a legitimate living and good income from hunting the tuskers.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#282591 - 18/05/16 08:43 PM

Quote:

Still possible to find some reasonably priced hunts,?

Does that mean reasonably sized tusks?

I see Altai Argali hunt thread elsewhere @ $65,000 USD. Thats a brand new Tojo 4wd!

Here you go JG, not cheap but far cheaper for those that save up for it. Quotation borrowed from a friend.

Quote:

Thanks to the Cecil debacle, and resulting American import restrictions, lion just became "affordable" in relative terms. A deal just came across my desk and what used to be a $90K hunt in some areas just became a $20K hunt. Great for some hunters, REALLY bad for lion. Nice job USFWS!

--------------------
John aka NitroX

gryphon
.450 member

#282624 - 19/05/16 05:10 AM

wtf? It was 90 grand to hunt a lion?
If they can drop 70 grand in price well then it shows how overpriced they were in the first instance.

I suppose the 20 grand model has mange ha ha!

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #282628 - 19/05/16 06:23 AM

Quote:

wtf? It was 90 grand to hunt a lion?
If they can drop 70 grand in price well then it shows how overpriced they were in the first instance.

I suppose the 20 grand model has mange ha ha!

NOT uncommon..well known that American hunters get charged more for the same hunts that do those in other locals..Europe, etc...

Which is why now when I talk to a booking agent I asked them, (somewhat tongue in cheek, no, not that cheek, ) if this is the American price or the "Rest of the world price"...

Some of the more spendy recent hunts I have done we booked through a gentleman in Germany..same hunt 20-30% less in price..bullshit is what I say, but alas, two can play that game..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: "The Mutha Elephant" by Sten Cedergren [Re: Ripp]
      #282641 - 19/05/16 03:34 PM

"Hey, that was an interesting story from 1959" said ...

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 47 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6215

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com