Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Rigby prewar takedown rifles

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
mckinney
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/09
Loc: usa
Rigby prewar takedown rifles
      #282364 - 14/05/16 05:20 AM

I occasionally see Rigby .350 or .275 takedown rifles that have been converted to 'fixed barrel' with the takedown stock still in place. Are these conversions reversible - can they be converted back to takedown? Or could the conversion to fixed barrel be done in a way that would make it irreversible? (I want the answer to be 'no' they can all be converted)

I've never owned a takedown bolt rifle but have been thinking about them a lot recently. The advantages in storage and transport are pretty compelling - much less chance of a broken stock during shipment, for instance. Plus they just look good to me. I suppose the disadvantages are cost and lack of accuracy?

I guess the prewar takedown Rigbys cost more when new, but haven't seen an original price list. I also don't know whether they made the .303 or .400/350 or .416 in takedown form.

Grateful as usual for your insights.

Edited by mckinney (14/05/16 05:24 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Gundog01
.333 member

Reged: 16/05/15
Loc: Ohio usa
Re: Rigby prewar takedown rifles [Re: mckinney]
      #282365 - 14/05/16 05:32 AM

Fyi, cabełas in Dundee Michigan has a Rigby takedown that has been rechambered in .300h&h, it's a nice rifle priced at $4000, I'd be all over it, but I've got enough guns coming into the collection.

Gen_Hicks
.300 member

Reged: 15/10/12
Loc: Lowveld, South Africa
Re: Rigby prewar takedown rifles [Re: Gundog01]
      #282366 - 14/05/16 06:13 AM

The only time when a take down rifle looks good, is in its case..... Just my opinion.

To answer your question: the expensive part is to make the front section of the stock fit perfectly and lock into place. Cutting the threads on the barrel to unscrew is the least part of it.

So no, a converted rifle shouldnt be expensive to revert back to a take down.

I have seen 275, 303, 350 Mag and 400/350 take downs, but NEVER a 416. I stand to be corrected and welcome it. If they exist, It must be something!

mckinney
.400 member

#282367 - 14/05/16 06:41 AM

Gundog thanks, will take a look. Did you buy the Fraser .22 HP? I submitted a bid below the high estimate which of course got taken out in about 10 sec. I wasn't hot enough for it to really go after it, but it's a beautiful rifle.

mckinney
.400 member

Re: Rigby prewar takedown rifles [Re: Gen_Hicks]
      #282368 - 14/05/16 06:44 AM

Thanks. I used to have the same opinion but have warmed up to the purposeful look of the takedown Rigbys. I'm not too keen on the Pachmayrs, Barney Worthens etc. - coming around to the British stuff in my old age!

Yochanan
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/03
Loc: Volksdiktatur Schweden
Re: Rigby prewar takedown rifles [Re: Gen_Hicks]
      #282369 - 14/05/16 06:49 AM

I don't like take down boltaction rifles myself. - paranoid that something shall fail while hunting. You should stay with cartridges that are pretty much the same in length and case size to get proper function.

--------------------
© "I have never been able to appreciate 'shock' as applied to killing big game. It seems to me that you cannot kill an elephant weighing six tons by ´shock´unless you advocate the use of a field gun." - W.D.M. Bell: Wanderings of an Elephant Hunter.

mckinney
.400 member

#282370 - 14/05/16 06:57 AM

Looks like the Dundee rifle is gone, not on their website.

Gundog01
.333 member

Reged: 16/05/15
Loc: Ohio usa
      #282374 - 14/05/16 08:11 AM

Quote:

Looks like the Dundee rifle is gone, not on their website.

I'd try calling, they are terrible about listing items on their website.

I did not bid on the rifle unfortunately, work had be tied up.

I'll send you a pm I may have something that'll interest you.

kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
      #282390 - 14/05/16 07:31 PM

Why is the takedown feature blocked on so many Rigby and other British rifles, like on my G.Gibbs Mannlicher-Schoenauer? The answer may be found on page 5 of the 1924 Rigby catalog, quote:
"The "Take Down" Model.
In this Model the barrel is removable so that the rifle may be carried in a short case. We do not recommend this if our telescope sight is required."

mckinney
.400 member

Re: Rigby prewar takedown rifles [Re: kuduae]
      #282395 - 15/05/16 12:15 AM

Thanks Kudu, makes perfect sense. Most of the coverted rifles I have seen have been scoped, with the additional crime of altering the bolt.

Does the 1924 catalog list the calibers available in takedown? Are takedown prices higher?

kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
      #282405 - 15/05/16 07:58 AM

Does the 1924 catalog list the calibers available in takedown?

No, it just mentiones the take down feature as an option, just as the scoped option.
According to Jon Speed's books, production of the short intermediate, slant mgazine rifles in .303 ended about 1903 after a total production of less than 50 rifles, according to Paul Roberts. At least one example had the take-down feature.
The last stepped ring receiver, slant magazine rifle in .400-350 was sold in 1910. So both were not offered any more in the 1924 catalog. The 1924 catalog still illustrates the Model No.4, 350 Magnum rifle with such a stepped ring action. The "Rigby's New Telescope Sight" option pic shows a short intermediate, slant box action with a pre-WW1 German Goerz scope, but old catalog pics never should be taken to be exact. Each catalog picture then started with an expensive hand engraved cut. So such illustrations were used over and over, as long as any reasonable resemblance was given. This applies not only to Rigby, but to most old catalogs too.

Are takedown prices higher?

That catalog does not give any price itself, just a sentence: ""FOR Price see separate PRICE SHEET", which I do not have. I understand the take downs and the scoped rifles being extra cost options.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 38 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2196

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com