Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Azerbaijan---Tur Hunt

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Asia

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Azerbaijan---Tur Hunt
      #282148 - 10/05/16 06:20 AM

The hunt started out like so many do, full of optimism, thrill of the unknown and an opportunity to explore other cultures and parts of the world.

We arrived in Baku on Saturday evening after leaving my home in Bozeman Montana the previous Friday at 7AM.

Our luggage showed however no guns. We filed a claim report and went to our hotel as it had been a very long past day and halp. Following morning I started making phone calls to Delta and Turkish Airlines..seeing who had the guns..found out they were basically still in Chicago..to make a long story short the guns arrives on Monday morning..at which time we took off to the village. At the village we had lunch, loaded our equipement in an old Russian military truck and headed up river.

Crossing the river with the truck was incredibly bumpy but effortless for the old diesel..

We stopped along the way and checked the rifles as it had been many miles and baggage handlers..

I was shooting a Lex Webernick custom lightweight chambered in 280AI. For ammo I settled in on 140 Gr Accubonds...rifle liked them just fine ..this rifle with Zeiss 4.5-14 scope weighs in right at 6lbs

We continued on our journey up river and finally got to base camp the 3 hours later..tired, hungry and ready for bed. They fed us well along with a nice glass of wine or two to help with digestion and sleep..

Where the guides slept..

The next morning we go up, had breakfast and headed out with the horses to set up a fly camp. It was decided we would glass and hunt from there in an attempt to find out just where the Tur were. At which point we would make a plan.

We glassed and climbed for most of the day. Even with all I had heard, was surprised at just how steep the terrain was. We were at 5800 ft elevation at the fly camp..within a mile or so our elevation was 9000 and still climbing..

We saw a huge black wolf while hiking but the guides would not let me take a crack at home as it would blow the chance for Tur. We did find 4 Tur in a group later in the day, but not what we were looking for. Just before dark we headed back to camp..tired, sore and very hungry..water was running just past our tents so we were drinking right from the stream..normally I dont do that but the spring was right there so chanced it..

The following morning it was decided we would head to the other canyon we had not glassed the previous day. We made our way about 2/3rds of the way up the mtn and spotted a group of Tur across the canyon..about 600 yards out..with the wind swirling as we made our way to them they eventually winded us and took off up the mountain, across the next canyon and to the top of that one. Amazing to see them run through that terrain.

The weather was mild enough we ran into several of these in the morning..but cold was headed our way..

We decided we would camp near the summit for the evening..set up camp during the day and hunt in the evening as it seemed numerous animals were moving in the area..

At about 6-7PM with the winds really howling...we spotted a group headed our way looking for green food.. we quickly made our way across the moutain adn got into position..again, the group we spotted winded us and ran down the ridge just as I was getting on one to take a shot. Another group showed up at only about 125 yards but were young rams//my guide wanted me to shoot and I told him NO..he seemed upset over that..but oh well..just then another group that must have gotten spooked by the first ones we saw came out across the canyon and were running up the opposite ride..6 or so came out..then about 10 seconds later a large ram came out by himself..I wanted to range him however the guide had my swarovski's with the rangefinder in them..not wanting to waste time, I guessed the distance around 300 ..held a bit ahead as he was walking and touched one off. He dropped to the shot and rolled about 150 yards coming to rest against a boulder..the guides went nuts..yelling, screaming and down right happy we were successful..as was I..once it was over I get my binos from Sacha..ranged it..348 yards..so, I was close enough...
The pointed mtn part furthest back over horn of the ram and my right shoulder is actually where I shot him from..He is a 10 year old ram and a trophy of a lifetime

My main guide Sasha

After getting the Tur to an area we could take photos..we got them out of the way, caped him out and quartered up the meat to put on the horses..got back to camp and had a great evening of enjoying the hunt..Following morning we made our way back to main camp with the tents, meat and trophy..everyone feeling very good as we got the main animal and a storm was coming..

Later in the day the guides skinned out the head and prepared for salt to be ready when I leave..

And I WAS able to take a shower..

Final thoughts..
The guides can hike and fly around on that mountain better than anyone I have ever seen anywhere. Amazing to watch. Terrain is incredible challenging..If you plan on a hunt like this trian as much as you can and then double it..in addition to being steep, on more than one occassion, if I slipped it was 50, 100, 200 ft to the bottom and those were the shallow ones. Glad I did not use a dial up scope and had the fixed Rapid Z 800 scope for quick target acquisition..would never have had time to read,dial up and then take a shot on a moving target..

Sadly there are those I found that pay for the hunt, after a half day or so they give their gun to the guide and tell them to have at it..Each to their own but I find that type of action pathetic.

All in all, great camp, great food, great people...was a good hunt...another long part to this story but we will save that for another day..

Cheers,

Ripp

Edited by Ripp (10/05/16 07:39 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Azerbaijan---Tur Hunt [Re: Ripp]
      #282154 - 10/05/16 08:42 AM

Great hunt - thanks for the details, Ripp.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: Azerbaijan---Tur Hunt [Re: DarylS]
      #282156 - 10/05/16 09:02 AM

Art,that`s proper hunting,it takes a tough set of legs to do that and a tough mind too. Congrats to you on your hunt and great Ram.

On a sour note your words below,are they for real?
Does that really happen ffs?
I see Tur hunters on other hunt sites,now I will be more circumspect in my thoughts on some of them,not all!

"Sadly there are those I found that pay for the hunt, after a half day or so they give their gun to the guide and tell them to have at it..Each to their own but I find that type of action pathetic. "

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Azerbaijan---Tur Hunt [Re: gryphon]
      #282159 - 10/05/16 12:24 PM

Quote:

Art,that`s proper hunting,it takes a tough set of legs to do that and a tough mind too. Congrats to you on your hunt and great Ram.

On a sour note your words below,are they for real?
Does that really happen ffs?
I see Tur hunters on other hunt sites,now I will be more circumspect in my thoughts on some of them,not all!

"Sadly there are those I found that pay for the hunt, after a half day or so they give their gun to the guide and tell them to have at it..Each to their own but I find that type of action pathetic. "

Yes it is for real...I went through trophy pics at the lodge..one was shot by the hunters guide and it is a world class trophy..the hunter said thank you and when he left gave the guide a $10. tip...
$10. ffs...to quote you.. but yes, think it is pathetic for someone to do that...From what I hear,. it happens a LOT on Marco Polo...hunter will take a shot..5-6-7oo yards..guide will say you got him..go back to camp we will get him for you..the guide then hunts, shoots and kills the ram and comes back ..or, less subtle, the hunter will just give up and say get one for me...

I always wondered how some of those people got the animals..not looking very fit, NOW I know....

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

gryphon
.450 member

#282161 - 10/05/16 02:09 PM

FFS ha ha that is so sad Ripp,even more so that the 'guides' actually partake in it.

I always thought along the lines of .."that lovely round out of condition fella must have used a chopper to get that"

That`s bad enough like they(some) do with taking Tahr from a chopper in NZ

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #282176 - 10/05/16 09:04 PM

Wonderful story Ripp. And what lovely mountain scenes you must have seen. The vertical walking must be tough. One question, you mention using horses to talk the head and meat and camp gear back to the main camp. How far did the horses get up the mountains? To the temporary camp, to where you too the tur after it was shot?

As for the pretend hunters, I don't intend to dwell on the negatives of non hunters and their pretend successes. Lets concentrate on your achievement and wonderful hunt and other happenings.

I would ike to see some more photos of the tur. Any other angles of the beast?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Azerbaijan---Tur Hunt [Re: NitroX]
      #282183 - 10/05/16 11:12 PM

Quote:

Wonderful story Ripp. And what lovely mountain scenes you must have seen. The vertical walking must be tough. One question, you mention using horses to talk the head and meat and camp gear back to the main camp. How far did the horses get up the mountains? To the temporary camp, to where you too the tur after it was shot?

As for the pretend hunters, I don't intend to dwell on the negatives of non hunters and their pretend successes. Lets concentrate on your achievement and wonderful hunt and other happenings.

I would ike to see some more photos of the tur. Any other angles of the beast?

Agree on the pretend hunters..good term..

The horses were able to be taken to the beginning of the mountain..but only did that after the Tur was shot..Each day we left camp on foot...this photo was taken about 20 minutes out of our spike camp..we would hike to the bottom of the mountain.. in the right on this photo..and then head up from there..

I was told that because this was such an early hunt with the snow and mud, the horses would not be used much in this hunt..but was also told in the summer--July, August..horses can be used to go higher on the mountain..that was the case when I hunted Ibex in Kyrgyzstan..we were able to get almost to the summit..however the steepness of these mountains, I would not see that possible in this case..the Caucasus mountains are considered extreme in angle and elevation..this is an excerpt of what I found on wikipedia..

"Europe's highest mountain is Mount Elbrus 5,642 m (18,510 ft) in the Caucasus Mountains.[4] Elbrus is 832 m (2,730 ft) higher than Mont Blanc, the highest peak in the Alps at 4,810 m (15,780 ft). The Caucasus Mountains are defined as the continental divide between Asia and Europe for the region between the Black and Caspian Seas."

After I shot the Tur, one of the guides in this photo..one on the left..went back to camp and got a horse to bring back the meat and cape...The main guide hiked across the canyon after I shot the Tur and slid him down one of the chute's still full of snow..was very easy going in that regard..plus Tur are NOT very big as to weight..was surprised on their body weight versus size of horn.. similar to Ibex in Spain as to body size with Tur perhaps 15-20% larger.

As to other angles--this is what I have...was going to put more on yesterday but photobucket was giving me fits...

Edited by Ripp (10/05/16 11:20 PM)

Ripp
.577 member

#282185 - 10/05/16 11:48 PM

Couple more pics...

Stream we got our drinking water..

The locals used sticks..like the one I am holding here to lean into the mtn to navigate as it got steeper ..was amazing to watch and you really have to learn to trust this otherwise you will slip out and go for a ride until you get yourself stopped...this pic was taken the morning we broke spike camp and headed back to based camp with my Tur.

--------------------

Edited by Ripp (10/05/16 11:58 PM)

gryphon
.450 member

#282207 - 11/05/16 06:31 AM

Impressive hard looking climbing country there Ripp.
Keep posting.

About your ram,how will you have him mounted?

What are Taxidermist costs for such a mount in Montana?

--------------------

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #282213 - 11/05/16 08:02 AM

Ripp fantastic story and photos. What an incredible hunt that was. Unfortunately for me, you have lite a desire that I will never for fill.........age and knees.

Your Tur is a great trophy, not only big but old.

That country side is truly magnificent.

The pretend hunters you mention, to me, are nothing but oxygen thieves.

Thanks for posting.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Azerbaijan---Tur Hunt [Re: Rule303]
      #282219 - 11/05/16 10:07 AM

Impressive indeed!

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: Azerbaijan---Tur Hunt [Re: DarylS]
      #282221 - 11/05/16 12:11 PM

Ripp:
Thanks for going to the trouble of posting this amazing account. Simply stunning scenery and terrain. Blows me away...

Indeed a fabulous hunt, on the 'roof of the world'!

Congratulations on your well-earned success.

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: Azerbaijan---Tur Hunt [Re: Marrakai]
      #282227 - 11/05/16 07:37 PM

Ripp do you know what breed of snake that was? have to admit that snakes would be the last thing I would expect to find at those altitude and latitudes.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#282235 - 11/05/16 10:35 PM

Quote:

Ripp do you know what breed of snake that was? have to admit that snakes would be the last thing I would expect to find at those altitude and latitudes.

Excellent photo. Hopefully you were not standing too close to it.

Perhaps the Vipera kaznakovi - Viper Caucasas.

At first didn't think so, but found a couple of photos which seemed to fit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vipera_kaznakovi

http://knowledgebase.lookseek.com/Caucasus-Viper-Vipera-kaznakovi.html

http://www.stlzoo.org/animals/abouttheanimals/reptiles/snakes/caucasusviper/

Looking at these probably not the Vipera Kaznakovi :
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=Viper...ZEEBKwQ_AUIBygB

Common Viper

http://www.sibserpent.com/products/snakevenoms/viperaberus.html

Gloydius

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gloydius

East of the Urals so probably not.

Saw-scaled viper

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Echis

No I do not think so.

Probably a melantistic (black) common adder. The head shape is right.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/highexplosi...dder/Adder.html

Or Grass snake

http://alexisphoenix.org/romaniasnake.php

Head shape is right for a grass snake. Grass snake is not venomous. Common viper is.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#282236 - 11/05/16 10:41 PM

Why did the guides sleep in the tower? Bears perhaps?

There is usually a reason the guides and/or trackers sleep in a place like that, while the clients or guests sleep on the ground in tents ...

BTW were the tents your own or supplied? They look like your own.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
      #282237 - 11/05/16 10:43 PM

Snake looks like a Himalayan Keelback. Ripp....?

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

Ripp
.577 member

#282261 - 12/05/16 11:08 AM

Why did the guides sleep in the tower? Bears perhaps?

There is usually a reason the guides and/or trackers sleep in a place like that, while the clients or guests sleep on the ground in tents ...

BTW were the tents your own or supplied? They look like your own.

This was actually at the main camp--the hunters slept in closed quarters..actually pretty nice rooms..head guides also slept in doors..however the others slept up there..and yes there are a lot of bears in the area..Sasha my main guide was attacked by one that he thougth was dead shot by a client..went up to it and it took into him..they said he was 6 weeks in the hospital..

No, the tents were actually the hunting lodges tents..very nice and good equipment..especially when compared to other areas I have hunted over there..

This was a first rate operation..guides were outstanding, food was very good and everyone went out out of their way to make your hunt a success..

Ripp

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

#282274 - 12/05/16 10:56 PM

Quote:

Impressive hard looking climbing country there Ripp.
Keep posting.

About your ram,how will you have him mounted?

What are Taxidermist costs for such a mount in Montana?

I plan to do a shoulder mount---life size to taking up too much room and when I am gone who in the heck will want them..plus I figure the money I saved can be used towards another hunt..

Guessing it will cost $6-800US

Ripp

--------------------

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
      #282356 - 14/05/16 02:59 AM

thank you for posting this

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Azerbaijan---Tur Hunt [Re: lancaster]
      #282450 - 16/05/16 12:54 AM

Baku is an very nice city. The architecture is incredible and probably one of the most beautiful cities I have ever been to. From the outside it appears to be a very vibrant growing city..while there I counted 16 cranes working on new high rises of one form or another..they are certainly attempting to shed the 3rd world status..oil is making most of this possible from what I was told..however with the current glut of oil, not sure how much of this will continue should all things remain as they are..

The airport is no doubt the nicest airport I have ever been through...

Downtown near the mall area

Was told this is a TRUMP building..have not verified that...but nice nonetheless

All in all, Baku was a pleasant surprise..with the exception of their medical care..unfortunately used a bit of their services which is a whole other story...but it is not up to the standards I am used to..whether in USA or Europe..they have a bit to go before they are there ..but its there should you ever need it..

Ripp

--------------------

Edited by Ripp (16/05/16 01:24 AM)

gryphon
.450 member

#282457 - 16/05/16 06:27 AM

Makes a real change to going to some boring mundane large western city imo.The new stuff is new!I`d like to go there even just with a camera.

I note you have a down vest on also in the last lot of pics,was it a bit colder than the blue sky suggests Art?

Q The architecture is incredible and probably one of the most beautiful cities I have ever been to. From the outside it appears to be a very vibrant growing city..EQ

But one has to ask, "at what cost to the general population"

Often the poorer pay for the shop front.

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#282480 - 16/05/16 01:10 PM

Quote:

"Benevolent" Dictatorship run by a "strong man" if I get the place right.

As for the "benevolence" well your guess is as right as mine, but if you believe it, well, I've also got a bridge to sell.

I've been reading recently about all the wonderful things Gaddafi did for his Libyans. Another benevolent dictator. Those that weren't imprisoned or being tortured in jail. But the Arab Spring has taught us something. A brutal dictator over the savage and brainless arabs is better than any idea of democracy. Off topic I know.

The leader of Azerbaijan is said to tbe a throw back to the old Soviet dictators. Oil money paid for the Soviet city window dressing. Big clean new cities were advertisements for the Soviet superior way of life.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Ripp
.577 member

#282486 - 16/05/16 02:19 PM

Quote:

Makes a real change to going to some boring mundane large western city imo.The new stuff is new!I`d like to go there even just with a camera.

I note you have a down vest on also in the last lot of pics,was it a bit colder than the blue sky suggests Art?

Q The architecture is incredible and probably one of the most beautiful cities I have ever been to. From the outside it appears to be a very vibrant growing city..EQ

Temps normally were not that bad..but as in most mountains, it changes rapidly and often..sun shinning and 2 hours later, snowing and wind blowing..the biggest item was the wind..always really blowing up on the mtn..25-30 MPH or more most days...which kept it cool if you sat for a while..

Yes..as to "at what cost to the general population"..my thoughts as well..when talking to the English speaking guide, he told me it is very very difficult and costly to get or own a firearm there..which, in my mind immediately says, what/why is the government so scared/worried of its own people??

From what I saw and experienced, corruption even on the simplest level is common place..everyone has to get their palms greased to make things happen, especially hunting..

Having said that, in my experience, in general the people seem much better off than they did over in Kyrgyzstan when I was there a cple years back..that place is IMHO, horrible..lots of poverty, streets and buildings in desperate need of repair, etc...and even more so corrupt...they tried to shake me down just going through security to get on the plane...not to mention the issue at camp when we actually loaded our rifles..

I would recommend anyone traveling to any of these countries to relax, sit back and expect to pay .. but again, certainly worth the price in this case..

Ripp

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#282529 - 17/05/16 02:28 PM

Some great trips you have made, including two (three?) of the ex-Soviet Asian republics. I have dreamed of hunting there too, but while I am pretty optimistic about many of my fantasies coming true one day - one has to be optimistic and hope for them - I don't think these will happen.

So very good to read of a mate's visit, success on the hunt, and adventures.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

mchughcb
.333 member

Reged: 21/02/14
Loc: Victoria, Australia
      #282532 - 17/05/16 02:54 PM

Thanks for sharing Ripp. My body would be hard pressed to survive the mountain hiking even though the scenery looks spectacular, so I'd have to settle for some lowland hunting with my rusty Russian if I ever make it there.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7408

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com