Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Hunting Scopes--choice of reticles

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Miscellaneous Topics >> Sporting equipment

Pages: 1
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Hunting Scopes--choice of reticles
      #282130 - 09/05/16 11:17 PM

After my last hunt had an interesting couple of items happen...having said that, I took a Zeiss with the Rapid Z-800 reticle. on others I have Swarovski's with dial turrets...

On this particular hunt, the shot presented itself very quickly and quite frankly I would never have had the time to dial in the yardage. The guide had my binos with the rangefinder in them so I guessed at the yardage and fortunately was able to connect.

For these types of high mountain hunts I am considering only using the fixed reticle such as the Rapid Z as in the Zeiss..its convenient in that you set the yardage POI per the computer printout..verify it on the range and boom, you are good to go..

Any other thoughts, experiences, etc??

Thank you

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Hunting Scopes--choice of reticles [Re: Ripp]
      #282133 - 10/05/16 01:23 AM

I like my 3-9 Burris with stadia wires mounted on my .375. The wires are zero'd for 270gr. SP's 200, 300 and 400 when the crosshairs are zero'd at 100. It is very close with my loads for the 270gr. TSX.
Same system on the Vortex AO on my .222-50. On the .243 WTBY I have a 6-24X side focus 13" long M4200 with mil dots (2nd plain so they get closer as the power is increased) - love em for extended range zeros.

Everything I hunt is either really close (called in) or I have time for my Vortex range finder and can use the correct reticle or mil dot for zeros.

Incredible mountains you were hunting in Art. Well done and quite elated you survived the ordeal.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Hunting Scopes--choice of reticles [Re: DarylS]
      #282175 - 10/05/16 08:22 PM

I am going to have to look at some of those comments, as it is all new to me ... use simple fixed reticles for everything ...

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Hunting Scopes--choice of reticles [Re: NitroX]
      #282184 - 10/05/16 11:30 PM

Quote:

I am going to have to look at some of those comments, as it is all new to me ... use simple fixed reticles for everything ...

I only used fixed until I drew a Bighorn Sheep tag about 5 years ago..started to use the Zeiss Rapid Z 800 and have never looked back..amazing reticle IMHO. Can put on any caliber rifle, use the computer on Zeiss website -put in all info in the system and boom..good to go..tried it on several rifles and various distances..works great...

Ripp

--------------------

Rell
.375 member

Reged: 03/12/04
Loc: Oyster Bay, NY, USA
Re: Hunting Scopes--choice of reticles [Re: Ripp]
      #282192 - 11/05/16 01:31 AM

I really like the Leupold VXIII with the custom etched reticles. You put in elevation, humidity, BC, V, bullet weight, temperature and they etch the reticle. Cross hairs are 200m with a dot above for 100m and dots below for 300, 400, 500, 600 and 700m.

Very fast and no brain farts. Range finder says 470m at a 15 degree angle for a 425m hold. Put the dot where you want it and break the trigger. It's worked very well on a bunch of bushbucks over the last few years.

--------------------
450-400, 9.3x74r and 7x65r.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Hunting Scopes--choice of reticles [Re: Rell]
      #282193 - 11/05/16 02:42 AM

Pretty much how I do it with gophers, to about 500yards. My 6-24 m4200 has zeros using the mill dots (at 20X, they are 1.5" apart) to 540yards. Read off the range, check the chart on the scope's bell for the correct dot spacing and take the shot- 1st shot kills on the rats.

For big game, one could easily use lower power and true mil dot spacing (1st plane).

To find my zeros with the dots, I set up a tall target at 100 meters with an aiming point near the bottom, then 1" horizontal lines up the target face. With the gun zero'd on the aiming point, I fire a 3-shot group at the aiming point using each mill dot.

Using a computer program that is close to correct, (Sierra works) I plot the zeros for each mil dot. for example only: say the 1st dot gives a 225yard zero, then 2nd a 300 zero, then 3rd 375yard zero, 4th 450yard zero, lower post 500yard zero, then transcribe that onto a 'sicky' for the side of the scope's bell, or butt stock of the rifle.
Depending on the rifles trajectory and the mil dot spacing at the power you are using, you may have longer or shorter range zeros.
Even a plain "plex" reticle (thin hairs inner circle then thick post outside), some call it a 30/30 reticle, the lower post will give you a zero you can use on big game- as in 250yards, or 300yards- that sort of thing.

Anyone who actually does practice knows how to hold with their hunting rifle for close shots, as in out to 200, even to 250yards with a plain crosshair. It's past this point-blank range, that the dots & range finders come into use. The smaller the target, the more useful they are.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

93mouse
.375 member

Reged: 17/08/07
Loc: Slovenia
Re: Hunting Scopes--choice of reticles [Re: DarylS]
      #282241 - 12/05/16 12:22 AM

My hunting horizont extends to 300m only. I have a Zeiss 3-12x56 VMV with No11 reticle (stupid, bold and reliable). My 8x68S is set 3" high at 100m, that is spot on on 220m and 6" low on 300m. In hunting situations that means I have to take care not to hold any high out to 150m, don't worry to 250m and hold on top of the back on Chamois sized animals at 300m.

For field use I have a Strelok loaded on my android :

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.borisov.strelok&hl=sl

Since shooting in mountains includes some ridiculous angles up to +- 75 degrees (sometimes even more) the most tricky situations appear when shooting close (100m) steep up/down - beware it doesn't take much to shoot over etc...

P.S. This is Stag at 400m with 12 mag and No 11 reticle (Chamois is 1/2 the Stags size)

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Hunting Scopes--choice of reticles [Re: Rell]
      #282277 - 12/05/16 11:04 PM

Quote:

I really like the Leupold VXIII with the custom etched reticles. You put in elevation, humidity, BC, V, bullet weight, temperature and they etch the reticle. Cross hairs are 200m with a dot above for 100m and dots below for 300, 400, 500, 600 and 700m.

Very fast and no brain farts. Range finder says 470m at a 15 degree angle for a 425m hold. Put the dot where you want it and break the trigger. It's worked very well on a bunch of bushbucks over the last few years.

I really like Leupolds VXIII --probably own more than a dozen..and frankly they are clearer then the Zeiss I am currently using..

The issue is, and correct me if I am wrong, but you put in the data mentioned..and lets say I hunt elk at 5-7000 ft--then the following year, I hunt Marco Polo at 14,000..or if I change bullets...everything changes and I have to get a different scope...which is why i like the Zeiss idea..I have used it at elevations from 3000 to 10,000 and it seems to have worked to this point..must wish the glass was higher quality..

Personally think I am going to us Swarovski's and use the dial up on them while leaving the distance at 300 yards..should be good enough for quick shots on game..and if its further one should have the time to dial in the correct yardage..at least that is my plan for now..but have several Z5's ...really nice glass...

thx

Ripp

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1966

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com