Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Reintroduction of Gaur in Bandhavgarh Tiger Reserve

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Asia

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Reintroduction of Gaur in Bandhavgarh Tiger Reserve
      #281927 - 05/05/16 03:13 PM

Reintroduction of Gaur (Bos gaurus) in Bandhavgarh Tiger Reserve, Madhya Pradesh, Central India

Bandhavgarh Tiger Reserve (BTR), situated in Central India, supported a small population of gaur (38 individuals) till 1995. This population disappeared between 1995 and 1998 due to unknown reasons. In a joint collaborative initiative 19 gaur (14 females, 5 males) were captured from Kanha Tiger Reserve (from two different herds) and translocated to Bandhavgarh Tiger Reserve in January 2011. In March 2012, 31 additional gaur (22 females and 9 males) were translocated from Kanha Tiger Reserve (from six different herds) and to Bandhavgarh Tiger Reserve.

To study the home range, habitat use and food habits of reintroduced gaurs,27 gaur (6 males and 21 females) were fitted with radio collars (GPS/Argos/VHF). The collared animals are being tracked intensively through “Homing in” and “Triangulation” techniques by two researchers, B. Navaneethan and Manas P. Manjrekar from Wildlife Institute of India. Till March 2012 the reintroduced gaurs have ranged over an area of 268.7 km2. The annual home ranges of the males and females were 254.4 km2 and 200.4 km2 respectively. The summer (April 2011-June 2011) home ranges for males and females were 231.5 km2 and 161.2 km2, respectively. In Monsoon and Post-Monsoon (July 2011 to October 2011) the home ranges of males and females were 110.6 km2 and 135.7 km2 respectively. In winter (November 2011 to February 2012) the home ranges of males and females were 98.5 km2 and 152.5 km2 respectively. The group size was found fluid ranging from 1 to 19 individuals. The two gaur bulls were found solitary on many occasions but joined the family groups after 2-3 days. In total 68 plant species were recorded as food plants of gaur which include 28 trees, 6 shrubs, 10 herbs, 21 grasses and 3 climbers. Among the initial reintroduced stock there were three mortalities, two natural deaths (both adult females) and one sub-adult female was predated by tiger. One female went missing from the park. There were three natalities, two from the first reintroduced stock and one from the second stock of animals. At present there are 50 gaur in BTR.

http://www.asianwildcattle.org/our-work/awc-projects/gaur-reintroduction.html

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: Reintroduction of Gaur in Bandhavgarh Tiger Reserve [Re: NitroX]
      #281929 - 05/05/16 05:56 PM

Proper wild one those blokes.
I have some pics of a tiger fleeing from Gaur,yet on the other hand the Indian boys tell me about the big tigers taking bull Gaur ..gotta take your hat off to the tiger!

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: Reintroduction of Gaur in Bandhavgarh Tiger Reserve [Re: gryphon]
      #281955 - 06/05/16 10:14 AM

Just imagine what this bull would look like if he was in top condition.

https://www.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl=...=mrc&uact=8

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

rigbymauser
.400 member

Reged: 15/05/05
Loc: Denmark
Re: Reintroduction of Gaur in Bandhavgarh Tiger Reserve [Re: gryphon]
      #282079 - 08/05/16 07:10 PM

When I think of Gaur I think of borerifles. Most of the huntinglitterature I have in regards to India/Asia were written in time where large charges of blackpowder propelled a +1000grain lead bullet were used to hunt gaur with. I actually don´t think I have huntinglitterature where sportsmen using modern corditecharged rifles to hunt gaur...anyway It is good is the gaur again can be observed as a common species in the indian jungle again. I heard here last week the tigerpopulations in the wild is increasing too.

Edited by rigbymauser (08/05/16 07:12 PM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1696

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com