Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Why wouldn't this work?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
AbitNutz
.275 member

Reged: 02/09/12
Loc: Ohio, USA
Why wouldn't this work?
      #281106 - 18/04/16 07:01 AM

I know this my be a little off the wall but...Is there a reason why you can't have a 3-lug Mauser style controlled round feeding bolt? If you have 3-lugs, spaced radially around the bolt, with a Mauser style non-rotating claw extractor...why wouldn't that work?

I've seen many 3-lug bolts but none of them seem to be controlled round feeding.

I know many might think there isn't any point in having three instead of two lugs in a Mauser style action but I'm curious to know if there is some obvious reason that I'm missing that it can't be done.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Why wouldn't this work? [Re: AbitNutz]
      #281108 - 18/04/16 07:35 AM

Don't see why not if the extractor was a bit narrower, top to bottom. Probably isn't one, due to not being needed.
The price/cost of manufacture today may be prohibitive to the general market, compared to push feed action simplicity.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

szihn
.400 member

Reged: 24/06/07
Loc: Wind River Valley, Wyoming
Re: Why wouldn't this work? [Re: AbitNutz]
      #281111 - 18/04/16 07:46 AM

The claw is made to work with the 90 degree bolt lift, but it could be done with a 60 degree lift as well if someone wanted to go through the trouble of machining an action that way.
Another way to get 3 lugs is to take a standard Mauser 98 system and lap the bolt forward lug and abutments back until the 3rd "safety lug" comes into bearing. This produces a super strong action. I have done it when I have made 375s 404s and some 300 H&Hs from GEW 98 Mausers because you need to cut back the lower abutment to make the long cartridges work. So that makes the lower abutment weaker.

To compensate I lap the whole bolt back until I make a 3 lug locking action and the 3rd safety lug is locked into a super strong abutment, and it's not split like the left lug on a Mauser. This means the 3rd lug is strong as the right lug, but the abutment it locks into is far stronger than the right lug's abutment. By doing this you make the action far stronger than it was even before you modified it at all.

The easiest way to do the work is to anneal the receiver first to make it cut faster. I make a strong spring and plunger to fit into an old rusted barrel that gives pressure against the bolt face. Put 120 grit lapping compound into the abutment recesses and close the bolt against the spring pressure. Now raise and lower the bolt handle about 80 degree for as long as it takes to lap the forward lug abutments back so the rear lugs bears too. Add a bit of oil to it about every 10 minutes and lap it back. When all 3 lugs come to bear evenly re-harden the receiver.

Works great!

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Why wouldn't this work? [Re: szihn]
      #281117 - 18/04/16 09:07 AM

Steve- do you do your own action re-hardening & tempering?

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

szihn
.400 member

Reged: 24/06/07
Loc: Wind River Valley, Wyoming
Re: Why wouldn't this work? [Re: DarylS]
      #281125 - 18/04/16 10:20 AM

Yeah, but remember I no longer do gunsmithing for customers on anything but muzzleloaders so that I need no firearms license. But I can answer questions.

I have done about 30 of them myself in years past.

AbitNutz
.275 member

Reged: 02/09/12
Loc: Ohio, USA
Re: Why wouldn't this work? [Re: szihn]
      #281136 - 18/04/16 08:50 PM

As a matter of complex machining I wonder what it would take to make a 3-lug Mauser using interrupted locking lugs like a Newton? I believe the Newton had three interrupted lugs on one side and four on the other. Imagine three rows of lugs with three interrupted lugs on two sides and four on the third. Two of the lug arrays would need to have three due to the claw extractor having to rotate on to them or at least it appears that way.

I've always been intrigued with the interrupted lug arrangements like the Newton and the Ross.

There wouldn't be any real advantage to all of this except it would be incredibly cool. It would have a 60 degree bolt lift and the ejector slot would fall naturally between two of the lugs and not have to bisect a lug like the Mauser or be offset like the Newton, Winchester Model 70, etc.

This is one of those things that if I hit the lottery...

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 41 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2243

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com