Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: New (to me) Drilling is Here

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Pages: 1
luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
New (to me) Drilling is Here
      #27952 - 18/03/05 02:37 PM

I got an offer I couldn't refuse! I was offered a late 1930's Semperit & Kreighoff Ulm in 16 & 8x57JRS at a price nobody would let get away. Lee LeBas has it and is installing a Hensoldt Diatal 4X32. I'll post some pix when it is done.

I know this is a DR site, but a nice Classic is still nice...

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NE450No2
.375 member

Reged: 10/01/03
Re: New (to me) Drilling is Here [Re: luv2safari]
      #27989 - 19/03/05 01:12 PM

Congratulations on your new drilling.
It is a shame more Americans have not had the experience of hunting with a drilling. Anytime fur and feathered game is in season at the same time, the drilling is the gun of choice. My wife has taken deer, wild pigs, turkey, quail, doves, ducks, squirrel, and rabbits, here in Texas. She has used it on backpack black bear hunts in Montana. No bear have been shot with it but quite a few grouse have been put in the skillet with it.
Hers is a Sauer 12x12x30-06, with a Kahles 4x in claw mounts.
I have snuck it out a few times, so far I have only taken feathered game with it.
I lust after a 12x12x9,3x74R.

luv2safari
.400 member

Re: New (to me) Drilling is Here [Re: NE450No2]
      #28004 - 19/03/05 07:23 PM

No2

My 12/12/9,3X74R Simson was toooo heavy for anything but hunting from a hide. Without the scope it was still a bit heavy, but it could be carried afield. I have to say that I do miss it, however. The 12/9,3 Tikka is a distant second... I have used both in Africa and think the combination is about as good as it gets. The Tikka is far more accurate than the Simson drilling, and I can take the set of 9,3 o/u barrels along for more serious hunting.

Did I ever tell you about the guinea fowl I drilled square up the ass with the 12/9,3 combo...an easy straight-away and I jerked the wrong trigger. There were a couple of mystified trackers scratching their heads and butts...The guinea expolded into about six major pieces and a big cloud of blood and guts. I could never duplicate this if my life depended on it.

I handled a Simson drilling in 12 & 375 H&H FL. Man...!!! it WAS heavy. Too much for practical use.

Buy my Sauer 3000 12/12/'06 with the 6X Nickel Supra in claws. You won't have to snivel and whimper to the wife to use hers. Not that you would...

(shhhh...don't tell. My wife drives the new Caddy & I get the 12 YO Cherokee. Hope this makes you feel not so alone)

--------------------

ThomasEdwards
.300 member

Reged: 04/01/04
Loc: Newport Beach, CA
      #28049 - 20/03/05 05:17 PM

...congratulations bruce...as we discussed before, an incurable affliction...in any case, happy shooting/hunting...

luv2safari
.400 member

Re: New (to me) Drilling is Here [Re: ThomasEdwards]
      #28074 - 21/03/05 01:33 PM

Tom,

Got that o/u 9,3 dialed in yet? I handled one at SCI. They are beautiful and fit the hand like they belong there.

--------------------

ThomasEdwards
.300 member

Reged: 04/01/04
Loc: Newport Beach, CA
      #28102 - 22/03/05 01:38 AM

bruce,

...i think the extra pair of smoothbore barrels is a lost cause (can only use certain type of ammo and not able to properly aim with the euro-styled stock), so i am merely using the sable for its intended purpose, as a well-made and accurate medium bore double rifle...

...agree with you on the handling of the sable...shouldered some sso6's and 455's about a year ago and was not too thrilled with the bulk or handling of the .458wm ou or ss doubles...think a well-balanced/well-handling double plays a big part in one's confidence in the rifle and measurably affect's ones accuracy and recoil perception/tolerance...

...tell us how your new drilling handles and shoots...

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 36 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2325

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com