Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Quality Boots

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1
Miller
.275 member

Reged: 01/05/03
Loc: Sydney, NSW AUS
Quality Boots
      #2806 - 14/05/03 12:23 PM

G'day to all,

I know that this post should probably be under another heading, but I am directing at Aussies, so here it is.

I have been a lifelong Danner boot wearer, the best boots ever made in my experience. But my last pair bought in 1995 has finally given up the ghost, and I need to replace them. Since I am now earning AUS dollars, the cost to replace them would be in the neighborhood of $600AU, which my budget cannot handle at the moment.

I need a pair of waterproof, lace-up, 8" or 10" high, Vibram soled boots. They need to be resoleable, and as tough as nails. I wear my boots about 250 days a years in all kinds of conditions. I expect a service life of at least 3 pairs of soles and 7 to 8 years. That is the life I have been getting out of my Danners.

I am not adverse to spending up towards $350AU for a pair. In the interest of supporting the local economy, can any one recommend an Australian made boot or possibly a New Zealand boot to fit the bill.

Also since I live in Sydney, can anyone point me to their favorite boot shop?

Thanks for your input,

Lynn Miller

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Quality Boots [Re: Miller]
      #2810 - 14/05/03 07:23 PM

Lynn

If you're wearing them for work, do what most of the brickies will be doing, wear a pair of cheap Blundestone or Rossi work boots. Rubber soles, elastic side and thin leather. Very cheap. Around $50 to $80 - I have three pairs and all three are wearing out simultaneously.

I remember buying them from a local growers co-op once for $15 and then living in London and seeing almost the same boots for 200 sterling in Bond Street in London.

Not what you want to hear but you can buy eight pairs of these for the same price as your Danners and all told they will last longer.

I often wear them for hunting as well, but also have a pair of Italian Scarpas and cheaper Tevas.

I'm sure though if you want to spend a lot you will find a comparable boot.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
      #2819 - 15/05/03 05:18 AM

I will never wear elastic sided boots for hunting in any hill country as it is the best way to turn an ankle.

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

Miller
.275 member

Re: Quality Boots [Re: gryphon]
      #2820 - 15/05/03 08:14 AM

NitroX,

I have a pair of Redbacks, that I bought for the site, but they are almost worthless, because the site I am working on has 22 meters of fall in 50 meters, with some near vertical sections. Yes, I am overseeing building a 3 story home this block of ground. If I was flatlanding it, the Redbacks or Blundstones would be the trick, but this is a different story.

Gryphon,

Inspite of being avid iceskater in my youth, I still have quite a weak ankle due to a broken foot. So those elastic sided boots, have been pure torture to wear for the last few weeks. I am quite desperate to find a good set of boots.

I have this very bad feeling there will be a big charge to my credit card, and a set of Danner's will be on their way. Expensive, yes, but worth every penny.

This is my current pair after 8 years, 3 pairs of soles, and 3 times around the world. Still the cheapest pair of boots you can buy, at about $37.50US per year including the resoling costs. A pair of Redbacks cost about $80AU and it looks like I will go through about 2 pair a year at this rate and the comfort level is not even comparable with the Danner's.

Lynn Miller

Edited by Miller (15/05/03 08:25 AM)

gryphon
.450 member

#2823 - 16/05/03 04:56 AM

LM haunt the good boot stores for yourself,it can take many visits and arguments with staff advocating this and that boot and half will tell you stuff they dont know about eg: one fella on recommending a pair told me they would be great for high country deer hunting--i replied no way mate they are unsuitable--he said how he had worn same for 2 weeks in the swamps of NT which made them a good boot??HA
Really have to run around and look for yourself or get into a Cabela`s catalogue--i love their stuff.

--------------------

Miller
.275 member

Re: Quality Boots [Re: gryphon]
      #2844 - 17/05/03 08:58 PM

Gryphon,

Here is the problem I am running into, I want waterproof boots, as in Gore-tex/Cambrelle liners, but it most also allow me to resole them. Very few of today's boots will allow to resole them, because they glued together instead of being stitched, and the few good stitched boots I can find here are not waterproof.

Scarpa's look like the best possiblity, but cannot be resoled. So I have ruled them out. Blundstone & Redback make some serious boots, but nothing with a waterproof liner, waterproof leather does not work very long, and of course, all their boots have a non-resolable, injected sole.

So I will keep looking for the moment, but my current pair is heading back to their makers for a complete rebuild, new soles, liners, heel counters, restitching, the whole nine yards, a service that Danner's provides for their customers. Will run me about $280AU, but should be able to get another 5 or 6 years out of them before I have to put them to rest.

Danner's along with Russell Moccasin are the only shoemakers(that I know of), that build footwear, Russell will even custom build to your specs, that is to last as long as possible and then provide you with a service to rebuild your existing pair so you still do not have to buy a new pair of shoes. A rather old-fashioned way to run a business.

Lynn Miller

gryphon
.450 member

#2845 - 18/05/03 06:21 AM

Miller i dont know where the right store is in Sydney but have a look at "Hepworth boots.In a very light tan colour and an almost sherpa pattern sole,they are lined with thinsulate for warmth and have high tops for ankle support,only a welded sole but i used a pair for five years of hard and i mean hard hunting for deer,they did me for hiundreds of trips and a couple of years back they were only $150.I wouldnt wear Scarpa`s for sambar if you paid me even though they have a big rep they dont have a bloody heel to act as a brake on slippery hills and to step over fine sticks etc.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1944

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com