Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: M/L Target Rifle

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Muzzleloaders & Blackpowder

Pages: 1
lonewulf
.300 member

Reged: 06/08/12
Loc: South-East Otago, New Zealand
M/L Target Rifle
      #280220 - 03/04/16 11:08 AM

Hi

I thought those of you who have an interest in BP shooting might like to have a quick look at my 45 cal M/L target rifle. The rifle is particularly interesting IMO in that it is completely hand made - that is - lock, stock, barrel and everything else.

The rifle was built back in the 1980s, as I recall, by 3 very talented guys in Christchurch NZ. One built the stock, sights, and steel furniture, one built the barrel and the other did the engraving. For those of you who are interested, the stock is of NZ "English" walnut while the barrel incorporates hand-cut tapered Pope rifling (it shoots both grease-grove and PP bullets). The rifle hasn't been shot very much at all (and not at all in the last 20 years - for reasons I won't go into here)so there is much load development still to be done. That said it certainly shoots at least as well as any other M/L rifle I've yet encountered. I intend to get it back into action over the next year or so and I'll report back on how I get on.

I regret the photos, set as they are against the lino on the kitchen floor, leave much to be desired.

[image]http://s1297.photobucket.com/user/lonewulf58/media/IMG_1763_zps05eewfe6.jpg.html[/image]

Edited by lonewulf (04/04/16 11:10 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Iowa_303s
.400 member

Reged: 22/03/13
Loc: Iowa, USA
Re: M/L Target Rifle [Re: lonewulf]
      #280222 - 03/04/16 03:21 PM

That is vey nice. What distance is/will it be used at?
The "Rigby" flats on the barrel are a nice touch.

--------------------
Matt

formerly known as Iowa_303

"Once your reputation is ruined you can live your life quite freely."

"Enkelkinder über alles"

lonewulf
.300 member

Re: M/L Target Rifle [Re: Iowa_303s]
      #280232 - 03/04/16 08:12 PM

Hi Iowa

It was originally intended for competition shooting out to 300m, although at the time it was built most of the shooting was done at just 100m. Unfortunately, it didn't get all the development work it needed in those early days before being forced into early retirement.

My plan is just to pick up where things left off if I can and see what it's really capable of. From memory it was at it's best with grease groove bullets, back in the day, but I'd like to focus on PP bullets in future. Assuming I can get them to go straight, I'll try and shoot it out just as far as the sights will allow and see how things go.

Edited by lonewulf (03/04/16 08:16 PM)

sharps4590
.300 member

Reged: 09/03/16
Loc: Missouri Ozarks
      #280234 - 03/04/16 09:10 PM

That is certainly a beautiful rifle.

--------------------
Jesus said, "I am the way the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John14:6

Birdhunter50
.375 member

Reged: 03/06/07
Loc: Iowa,U.S.A.
      #280262 - 04/04/16 12:19 AM

Lonewulf,
That is certainly a very nice looking rifle you have there. I will be interested in hearing how your load development goes. I like the fluting at the breech plug and I really like that rear sight, did they make that as well? Bob

DarylSModerator
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: M/L Target Rifle [Re: Birdhunter50]
      #280275 - 04/04/16 02:01 AM

Very nicely made - a treasure for sure. Interesting breech=plug/fence styling as well.
Nice!

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

lonewulf
.300 member

Re: M/L Target Rifle [Re: DarylS]
      #280308 - 04/04/16 12:26 PM

Hi everyone. Thanks for your kind comments. I feel very privileged to have the rifle. Anyway, I've added a few additional photos for those of you who are still interested.

And yes, the sights were made specifically for the rifle as were the 'accoutrements' (picture included above). These's also a lined wooden case which isn't photographed.

The most impressive thing about the rifle IMO - aside from the tapered Pope rifling; (which just confounds me) is the hand-chiseled curved surfaces that link the flats on the breech. That to me looks very hard to do. Maybe it isn't to those in the know but to me it looks tough.

Edited by lonewulf (04/04/16 12:34 PM)

DarylSModerator
.700 member

#280332 - 05/04/16 02:09 AM

Lovely indeed. It is a rifle I would be shooting the bag off, just think of all the moulds available - I'd have to add a few more, probably, but I think the #457125 and the #457658GV would be favourites for grease groove bullets.

--------------------
Daryl

lonewulf
.300 member

Re: M/L Target Rifle [Re: DarylS]
      #280404 - 06/04/16 08:15 AM

Hi Daryl

I can't be certain now but I think the rifle came with a custom mould built to Pope specs. If memory serves, it shot about as well with this as it did with a number of commercially available projectiles including #457125. I also note I have #457193 up on the shelf but I don't recall if it was ever used with this rifle. I also have several custom built smooth-walled PP moulds in .45 cal that were commissioned many years ago, (for other rifles) and some of these were also briefly tested in the rifle.

I'll have to sort all this out before I start shooting the thing in anger again.

Edited by lonewulf (06/04/16 08:16 AM)

DarylSModerator
.700 member

#280415 - 06/04/16 10:25 AM

Ah- the #457193 is a Lyman mound supposed to be a remake of the original 405gr. My bro's mould of this number cast at 420gr. in the alloy I tried in my .458 Alaksan. Being a solid base bullet, I was shooting them quite slow. It has a very nicely shaped ogive compared to the RCBS moulds 300 to 500gr., which have short ogives and longer bodies & only vary in the number of grease grooves.

--------------------
Daryl

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  DarylS 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2281

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com