Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Subsonic loads, anybody use them?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
mchughcb
.333 member

Reged: 21/02/14
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Subsonic loads, anybody use them? [Re: Omnivorous_Bob]
      #279813 - 25/03/16 07:30 PM

And a bit more energy transfer as well.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
SharpsNitro
.375 member

Reged: 12/08/08
Loc: Arizona, USA
      #279866 - 26/03/16 11:27 AM

Quote:

I really like subsonic and suppressed loads. They grow on you and seem so much more pleasant than loud guns that it's tough to go back.

I developed loads with Lehigh's .510" and 150gn brass .308" subsonic bullets listed above in 300AAC. The only problem is the 150 grain ones are light! The .510 ones weigh 640 grains and with a 70 grain .243" bullet inserted int the hollow point to act as a wedge come to 710. It haven't shot anything but paper with them to date, but the petals are designed to fracture off rather than unfold like a barnes X. Mainly I use 750gn amaxs and now have a mold for cheaper practice.

Here's the 510 on a DTA SRS action. In the picture the barrel is 20" but its since been cut down to 16."

This is by far my favorite suppressed gun:

A replica on a No1 MK III with only a few differences from the original (stainless baffles, a non-recessed barrel and thus full length bolt, and a different mag adapter to use unmodified 1911 mags). It haven't shot any critters with it yet, but have had it in hand 3 times now chasing off a nosey 2yr old black bear that liked to scratch at my garage door. Was always either a car or the house behind him! It is great fun lobbing 45 acp out to silly ranges.

Finally, just because, a MAC11A1 with a 9mm upper. Not "practical" for anything but grins, and it never fails.

Bob

Bob,

Nice to see another DTA shooter is posting here. What can are you using on the .510?

Scott

Omnivorous_Bob
.333 member

Reged: 03/10/05
Loc: Montana
Re: Subsonic loads, anybody use them? [Re: SharpsNitro]
      #279881 - 26/03/16 03:04 PM

Scott, it's a Bower Vers 50. It is rated for up to 50 Alaskan at 2200fps, so good for full house 45-70, etc, but not 50BMG. Then again, it is light and $700, not $2-3k for a BMG can, so that's fine by me.

I just got a 308 rated can (Liberty Chaotic)for my 300AAC but haven't shot it on my DTA yet due to needing a thread adapter.

I've only seen one other DTA shooter here in AK. I love mine other than the weight and initial expense, but being able to swap barrels and only buying one scope certainly defrays the cost in the long run.

Bob

--------------------
"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

SharpsNitro
.375 member

Reged: 12/08/08
Loc: Arizona, USA
      #279918 - 27/03/16 12:05 PM

Bob,

Nice. I have one of the new Silencerco Hybrids pending which will get me to .458 and below, a .50cal can of any kind isn't going to happen for me. I used to use a DeltaP adapter when I ran my 30cal can on my DTA, it worked well but I've been using my Thunder Beast 338BA on my DTA barrels. PM me if you are interested, I'll make you a good deal on it (https://www.deltapdesign.com/muzzle-adapters/dta-adapter.html).

I do love the DTA platform, the last piece of the puzzle is going to be the Short Action Customs .223 conversion (a friend has one). There are a number of DTA shooters in the Seattle area. If you are ever looking for more barrels, try Benchmark Barrels in Arlington, WA. They are excellent and run about $880 with extension, threaded muzzle and cerakote.

Scott

Omnivorous_Bob
.333 member

Reged: 03/10/05
Loc: Montana
Re: Subsonic loads, anybody use them? [Re: SharpsNitro]
      #279923 - 27/03/16 01:35 PM

Scott, thanks for the tip on Benchmark Barrels. Short Action Customs did my 510 Whisper barrel and it was ~$1500. I've been debating about their 223 kit. It's certainly tempting but then I've already got what I need in ARs, so maybe down the road.

I you ever have a layover in Anchorage send me a PM and can hit the range just outside of town.

Bob

--------------------
"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 66 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 8984

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com