Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 450 Marlin BOOM Factor

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1
Cacciatore
.224 member

Reged: 09/05/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
450 Marlin BOOM Factor
      #2799 - 14/05/03 12:52 AM

What you guys think about the new 450 marlin? I was considering getting one,but the porting is putting me off the idear.

What would happen if the porting is taped over, will it make a difference to recoil and noise?

Roberto

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ovis
.300 member

Reged: 26/01/03
Loc: Homer, Alaska
Re: 450 Marlin BOOM Factor [Re: Cacciatore]
      #2801 - 14/05/03 07:43 AM

Cacciatore,

I have the same gun in .45-70 and I reload to the 450Marlin
levels regularly. I do not find the porting to be a problem. My non-ported .375 UM is noisier than my GG. The Marlin factory is no longer porting the GGs so if you buy a new on there is no worry. The ports do a great job with muzzle jump and the Guide Gun, in either caliber, doesn't deserve the bad press it has gotten for noise and recoil. It's the gun I grab going out the door when salmon fishing and sharing the streams with the brownies......handy rifle, I shoot mine a lot.

Joe

--------------------
"Where there's a hobble, there's hope."

Cacciatore
.224 member

Reged: 09/05/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: 450 Marlin BOOM Factor [Re: ovis]
      #2805 - 14/05/03 09:13 AM

Ovis,

How much difference does the porting make? If you had the choice today to buy one with porting or without which would you take and why?

Im seriously considering buying a 450 Marlin to hunt Sambar with, but dont know if i should go for the ported or non-ported model

Roberto

ovis
.300 member

Reged: 26/01/03
Loc: Homer, Alaska
      #2807 - 14/05/03 01:58 PM

Cacciatore,

I like the ports and would buy it with the ports all over again. From the shooters position, I could tell no difference, without muffs, between mine and my friends new stainless unported model and, as stated previously, the "boom" is nowhere near as loud as my .375UM. The ports really work keeping muzzle jump to a minimum allowing a quick second shot. Great rifle, I really like mine.

Joe

--------------------
"Where there's a hobble, there's hope."

Kano
.300 member

Reged: 09/07/03
Loc: East Africa
      #3776 - 12/07/03 04:37 AM

If you want to shoot cast bullets, get a non-ported gun, because the ports tend to "shave" the lead.

If you stick to jacketed bullets, anything you choose........

--------------------
Philip

Sean_Edmunds
.224 member

Reged: 06/07/03
Loc: Vermont
      #3915 - 27/07/03 10:19 AM

Cacciatore,
I have had my 45-70 Guide Gun for 3 years. It is ported and I would buy the ported model again. I too had heard/read on the internet, all about how horrendously loud the rifle was and how bad the blast was. I think that all of these "experts" were basing there reports off of the only place they had shot one: at a covered shooting bench at the range. I fired just one round of handloaded 300 gr Hollow point, but my ears did not ring or bleed or anything like that, but of course I was out in the woods.
I have switched to the 400 gr Speer FP bullet now and my load runs about 1840 fps and is very accurate. As far as the other posters comments about shooting cast bullets and the ports shaving lead. I have had no such trouble with my rifle nor has a friend with the same gun. Of course every rifle is a law unto it self. If yours does shave then you have burrs from the porting process and that is easily fixed. Enjoy your Guide Gun if you buy one. Sean

458RugerNo1
.224 member

Reged: 04/03/04
Loc: Mtns of the Desert Southwest, ...
Re: 450 Marlin BOOM Factor [Re: Sean_Edmunds]
      #10898 - 05/03/04 04:18 AM

I've had my .450 Marlin Guide Gun for about 4 years now and swear by it. Mine sports Ashley XS ghost ring sights. It's ported and I don't notice it being all that awful. I don't shoot at public ranges, just afield and on my own range here on my property. At a covered public range your neighboring shooters may find it objectionable, but then again this isn't a target rifle. Once it's sighted in it's a brush gun and should spend most of it's time in the bush! For this purpose few things can beat it - a short, light, handy, hard-hitting big bore lever gun with five fast rounds. With good bonded-core jacketed 400+ grain bullets or heavy cast bullets it's up to virtually any task you could reasonably ask of it.

--------------------
God Bless old Elmer Keith!

475Guy
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/03
Loc: Kali, US
      #10907 - 05/03/04 06:59 AM

Why bother with the 450 when 4570 brass and ammo is so much cheaper to shoot. Both my GG's have ports and after shooting a few thousand cast loads, I find that if you just do rountine maintenance on your ports right after you shoot, you'll have no trouble. It's far easier to clean small lead deposits while the barrel is warm and lead is soft. As far as to the ports being louder, it's bullshit.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place among
them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 450 Marlin BOOM Factor [Re: 475Guy]
      #10923 - 05/03/04 10:49 AM

In reply to:

As far as to the ports being louder, it's bullshit.

- or - he is too deaf already to notice.

Scott

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 184 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3719

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com