Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Miroku SXS Conversion

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Building Double Rifles & Gunsmithing

Pages: 1
hlg
.224 member

Reged: 25/12/14
Loc: Nebraska
Miroku SXS Conversion
      #279796 - 25/03/16 01:17 PM

Have purchased a very nice Charles Daly 500 made by Miroku,Japan for a conversion to .450NE 3.25".These are well made double bite guns that have a very good reputation,it has chopper lump barrels and the double triggers are fine.It is the double trigger extractor version of the Browning SXS.
My question is the chopper lumps are machined parallel and then fastened together to form the breech and flats.What method is used to join the two pieces and is it a suitably strong for rifle use? Thank You!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Aaron_Little
.300 member

Reged: 25/09/13
Loc: Newark, TX
Re: Miroku SXS Conversion [Re: hlg]
      #280018 - 29/03/16 01:52 PM

Chopper lump barrels are usually brazed together, It is very strong and suitable for the purpose. Chopper lump barrels used for true double rifles use the same technique.

--------------------
A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC.
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com
682-554-0044

hlg
.224 member

Reged: 25/12/14
Loc: Nebraska
Re: Miroku SXS Conversion [Re: Aaron_Little]
      #280032 - 30/03/16 12:36 PM

There is a definite parting line between the two halves but I would assume that a brazed joint would have a clearly visible yellowish layer between the right and left barrels.Nothing like that exists and the two halves appear to have a very close fit and no readily apparent method of fastening the sides together is evident.
I am sure that the lumps are securely joined and not concerned of there integrity.When the top rib is milled away to make room for the new quarter rib more can be seen. Might be able to TIG a nice neat bead to reinforce the top side. Thank You!

Birdhunter50
.375 member

Reged: 03/06/07
Loc: Iowa,U.S.A.
Re: Miroku SXS Conversion [Re: hlg]
      #280156 - 02/04/16 11:39 AM

I would not try to tig weld over a brazed joint if I were you. First of all there is no need to do so, and second, you will most likely mess up the tig weld because of brazing contamination trying to get into it and you may also mess up the brazed joint as well. If you want to mill off the short rib section over the monoblock and overlay the rear of the new rib over it, that is O.K., as long as you use heavy duty solder such as Brownells Hi Force 44 to stick it down. Really there is never a good reason to do any welding on the monoblock. Those halves that you spoke of are brazed together in an oven and are as strong as most welded joints because of the amount of surface area involved. Bob

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1263

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com