Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Westley Richards Dangerous Game Rifle

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Pages: 1
TH44
.375 member

Reged: 21/02/09
Loc: West UK
Westley Richards Dangerous Game Rifle
      #279536 - 19/03/16 06:51 AM

Hi Guys

A few pics for you and a story about my W R Express or "Dangerous Game" rifle

I bought it some months ago through the internet, "action fully working"
When I got it, (very well packed between 2 pieces of wood), I found the cartridge would not chamber
On examination, I found a large chisel type cut across the block, as well as one on the trigger guard
I took the block out and stoned/filed polished the cuts out, it chambers

I then took out the trigger assembly out to do the same to the cut there. Whilst holding the trigger guard - snick! the mainspring snapped sheeeeeeeit
Most peeved, I got my gunsmith friend to make one, but, the round would not chamber sh.....we tried for some time to file/ease the new spring to no avail

I left it for several months until I had him do a stock repair on another rifle which I collected today, and he said bring the WR and I'll have another go at it
after more hours no result until I tried it all again without the spring - not chambering...........

I found I had not engaged the extractor spring properly the first time I stripped it.........................

Most embarrassing!! Fortunately he saw the funny side of it - with a bottle of good Single Malt I considered it my duty to give him

Still, some pics

Not a very fearsome tiger

Or elephant

Note the single blade rear sight. Henry's Patent Rifling and calibre

Henry rifling looks good

Nice clean action

Silver escutcheon and horn fore end tip standard at this quality

Best quality although the engraving is a little worn, clearly for India, also the single rear sight fpr shooting from Machan or Howdah?

In .577/500 Express I will be working abroad for a while will put it on ticket and see how it shoots when I am back

TH44

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ash
.400 member

Reged: 10/05/11
Loc: Australia
Re: Westley Richards Dangerous Game Rifle [Re: TH44]
      #279543 - 19/03/16 10:04 AM

Ha! Woopsy!

Tiger may not be fearsome, but it is adorable!

Lovely rifle. On my list is one of these in this chambering. I've seen one somewhere with a Hyena engraved.

--------------------

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: Westley Richards Dangerous Game Rifle [Re: TH44]
      #279544 - 19/03/16 10:09 AM

TH44:
You have gone to extraordinary lengths to share a bottle of whiskey with a friend!

Nice to see these things chambered in half-decent cartridges, my example shoots the .500-450 No.1 Carbine with the ballistics of an overgrown pistol round!

...although the engraving of a tusker is perhaps a tad ambitious for the .577-500 No.2, especially with the 'express' load that one must assume had a lighter than standard bullet!

Despite their relative lack of elegance for a vintage British sporter, I like these WR 'improved' Martini rifles, built like a tank. I must confess to a soft spot for the .577-500 No.2 as well. Loaded nitro-for-black its a mild-mannered big-bore cartridge that works very well on large thin-skinned game with sensible bullet choice. The Henry rifling is a bonus, it usually shoots modern jacketed bullets with good accuracy.

I'm certain you will thoroughly enjoy your unsuccessful attempts to wear it out!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 33 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2506

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com