Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: .303 British

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
Joshua
.300 member

Reged: 01/03/16
Loc: north carolina, usa
.303 British
      #279261 - 14/03/16 06:46 AM

I know how popular the .303 british round seems to be, and come across a nice parker hale SMLE with "ph" sights, etc for a very nice price. Now I have not messed with SMLE rifles alot but the rifle looks to be very nicely setup. The price is right too from what it seems, but thought I would share to those interested

https://www.joesalter.com/category/produ...s---Swivels-etc

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Igorrock
.400 member

Reged: 01/03/07
Loc: Finland
Re: .303 British [Re: Joshua]
      #279265 - 14/03/16 07:19 AM

It definitely needs new woods.

--------------------
http://promaakari.wordpress.com/

CarlsenHighway
.300 member

Reged: 19/03/09
Loc: Port Chalmers, New Zealand
Re: .303 British [Re: Igorrock]
      #279268 - 14/03/16 07:37 AM

Aha! The old Parker Hale sporting .303 conversion, very common and popular here in the '60's and '70's.
If you dont care to shoot it with a scope with the Monte Carlo style stocks, you can easily replace them - the Parker Hale rifles were given brand new commercial barrels and had good open sights; (although I dont think I have ever seen one with that .30-30 style rear sight with elevator, and a front blade they nearly all over here over flip over williams rear sight, and a bead front sight - maybe for the US market)
The five round magazines are worth a few dollars now too.

Additionally, I have never seen one where they took the charger bridge off, or had them drilled and tapped for a side mount - virtually every one I have seen still had the bridge, and were drilled on top of receiver for a special Parker Hale scope mount, which utilised the charger bridge at the rear. (A mount which takes PH scope rings - they were useless rings that always break, and vitually impossible to find now because of it)

--------------------
If you carry a cat home by the tail you will receive information valuable to you for the rest of your life.
Mark Twain

Joshua
.300 member

#279269 - 14/03/16 07:37 AM

Yes, it does. But I think a little TLC and it could be up and running beautifully again. Igorrock, could you pm me when you are free sir

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #279270 - 14/03/16 07:39 AM

The action looks good, outside of the barrel is good but I agree with Igorrock about the stock.

Joshua
.300 member

Re: .303 British [Re: Rule303]
      #279279 - 14/03/16 09:33 AM

Would this one be any better? And has anyone ever had a rifle imported to the usa? If so, what is the price range???

http://www.highwoodclassicarms.co.uk/Firerms%20For%20Sale/smlee.htm

3DogMike
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/15
Loc: Western Slope, Colorado USA
      #279291 - 14/03/16 01:38 PM

Quote:

Would this one be any better? And has anyone ever had a rifle imported to the usa? If so, what is the price range???

http://www.highwoodclassicarms.co.uk/Firerms%20For%20Sale/smlee.htm

Joshua,
Figure anywhere from $600 - $1000 USD costs to import and anywhere from 3 - 10 months depending upon what country it is coming in from. (Your mileage may vary)
- Mike

--------------------
"Here's to killing people you don't like with people you do"

"Will Rogers never met a fighter pilot"
- Anon

“Always carry a flask of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake."
-- W. C. Fields

Rule303
.416 member

#279293 - 14/03/16 02:53 PM

The reason I said the stock need to be replaced on the first one is simply to my eye it is hideous, especially on something that should be a light stalking rifle, plus the stock looks to be butt heavy.

The second one you show is an earlier model and the stock much nicer looking to my eye.

Edited by Rule303 (14/03/16 02:56 PM)

Igorrock
.400 member

Reged: 01/03/07
Loc: Finland
      #279296 - 14/03/16 06:28 PM

Quote:

The reason I said the stock need to be replaced on the first one is simply to my eye it is hideous, especially on something that should be a light stalking rifle, plus the stock looks to be butt heavy.

The second one you show is an earlier model and the stock much nicer looking to my eye.

Just my thoughts. I sent a pm to you, joshua.

--------------------
http://promaakari.wordpress.com/

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #279317 - 15/03/16 01:43 AM

I agree - the second one is much nicer.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Joshua
.300 member

Re: .303 British [Re: DarylS]
      #279329 - 15/03/16 10:10 AM

I too agree with that statement Daryl, as I love the figure in the wood. I would like to find something like that for myself, tho it can show more wear lol, as I would be using it primarily for hunting around here.

Wayne59
.400 member

Reged: 20/06/15
Loc: Lagrange Ga. USA
      #279331 - 15/03/16 11:35 AM

I like the second one much better but for some reason the wood in the but section of the gun doesn't match the fore arm wood.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: .303 British [Re: Wayne59]
      #279352 - 15/03/16 06:21 PM

Wouldn't bother importing a GBP375 rifle, as the import costs would blow out the value. JMO. Unless one could be found in Canada and if easier to get in ??? Doubt it nowadays with how hard it is to bring a rifle into the USA ...

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

lonewulf
.300 member

Reged: 06/08/12
Loc: South-East Otago, New Zealand
Re: .303 British [Re: CarlsenHighway]
      #280545 - 08/04/16 09:42 AM

Quote:

Aha! The old Parker Hale sporting .303 conversion, very common and popular here in the '60's and '70's.
If you dont care to shoot it with a scope with the Monte Carlo style stocks, you can easily replace them - the Parker Hale rifles were given brand new commercial barrels and had good open sights; (although I dont think I have ever seen one with that .30-30 style rear sight with elevator, and a front blade they nearly all over here over flip over williams rear sight, and a bead front sight - maybe for the US market)

Additionally, I have never seen one where they took the charger bridge off, or had them drilled and tapped for a side mount - virtually every one I have seen still had the bridge, and were drilled on top of receiver for a special Parker Hale scope mount, which utilised the charger bridge at the rear. (A mount which takes PH scope rings - they were useless rings that always break, and vitually impossible to find now because of it)

I picked this up a few months back. As I understand it, Parker Hale described these back in the 60s as their "de Lux" model. Kinda funny when you think about it now. As you suggest, these were pretty ubiquitous here in NZ back in those days as they no doubt were in the other "colonies" (Canada, Australia and South Africa)

It's a 1943 Long Branch. I don't really understand why but I just love the thing. I first laid eyes on these when I was about 12. Tried to interest my Father in one but no dice. At the time I think they cost about $35 NZ. That was about $5 more than a fully wooded Long Branch in unfired condition. How times have changed.

Anyway, I never forgot about that little Parker Hale and now I finally have one.

Although I had no great expectations that it would shoot I've been pleasantly surprised. With 150 grain PPU it shoots very nicely to point of aim and puts them all close enough to do the business at 100-150 m. It's also surprisingly pleasant to shoot. All in all, I'm very happy with it. Haven't had any luck with it on game as yet but that will no doubt come in time.

I note you mention that they were sold with new barrels. Are you sure about that because to me at least, it seems a bit unlikely? They certainly cut-down and re-blued them and there are signs on mine that it was polished somewhat before the re-blue but I don't know how they could possibly have re-barreled them and made a profit given that you could get brand new fully wooded versions at the time for less money.

Edited by lonewulf (08/04/16 10:03 AM)

Rule303
.416 member

Re: .303 British [Re: lonewulf]
      #280609 - 09/04/16 09:19 AM

Lonewulf that is one nice looking rifle.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #280620 - 09/04/16 10:49 AM

#4's work well - usually. I have one with a brand new 2-groove barrel I rechambered for the .312 EXPRESS, (Ken Waters). It drives a 174gr. Hornady at 2,940fps - maybe a bit steel for that bullet. I do have some 180gr. Norma to really play with.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Brithunter
.300 member

Reged: 17/03/10
Loc: Lincolnshire, England
      #280707 - 10/04/16 08:05 PM

Quote:

The P-H with the charger bridge removed is the "Custom" and it uses a side mount that is the P-H BA27 mount for the No1 action. I have one of these mounts in front of me as I type this. There was the A27 mount for the No4 action "Custom". Also not all P-H conversions had new barrels. I believe they inspected and gauged them and if good they were left just re-blacked. The higher level offerings of the "Supreme" and "Custom" their catalogues does not mention the barrels but I used to own a No1 Supreme that still had a 1916 dated barrel fitted the No4 supreme that I currently own has a 39 dated barrel fitted if i recall correctly.

Parker-Hale also offered a version of the P-H 16 sporting aperture rear sight to fit the No1 action. This was the P-H 16F but I think with slight modifcation the std P-H16 can be adapted to fit.

Remember P-H switched to fitting Williams sights to their rifles including the Mauser actioned models. All my 1100's, 1200's bar the 1100M have Williams sights fitted. BSA also switched over to using Williams sights on their rifles.

Amongst my cache of bits there is a nice 5 round converted No1 magazine here that has a No3 follwer in it.

--------------------
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

CarlsenHighway
.300 member

Reged: 19/03/09
Loc: Port Chalmers, New Zealand
Re: .303 British [Re: Brithunter]
      #281649 - 28/04/16 03:58 PM

The one Lone Wulf has above may or may not have a military barrel, I haven't seen one like that.
but I thought we were talking about the Parker Hale sporting rifles with the Monte Carlo sporting stock etc. All of these that I have seen had been rebarreled with Parker Hale barrels. Same way they originally used military 98 action for their Super Safari sporter rifle and so on.

--------------------
If you carry a cat home by the tail you will receive information valuable to you for the rest of your life.
Mark Twain

FrankS
.300 member

Reged: 06/10/08
Loc: New Iberia Louisiana
      #281794 - 01/05/16 04:56 PM

I've a Long branch #4MKI* made in 1942 with Parker Hale ramped front sight that has a #4 sight blade installed on it. The issue rear sight as shown in Lonewulf's posting is basically the same as mine. Barrel has been cut down to approximately 22" and just under the ramp for the front sight shows what appears to be silver solder. My rifle came with a 5 round magazine that has made in Japan stamped on it and marked Santa Fe also. Barrel is a two groove barrel. Forend is cut down similar to Lonewulf's as well. No where on this rifle is anything stamped as being made by Parker Hale with the exception of the front sight. Curious as to who did the work but not being a Parker Hale rifle it is what it is.
I'm electronically challenged so cannot post pics. Thank you,Frank

lonewulf
.300 member

Reged: 06/08/12
Loc: South-East Otago, New Zealand
Re: .303 British [Re: FrankS]
      #281837 - 02/05/16 04:32 PM

Quote:

I've a Long branch #4MKI* made in 1942 with Parker Hale ramped front sight that has a #4 sight blade installed on it. The issue rear sight as shown in Lonewulf's posting is basically the same as mine. Barrel has been cut down to approximately 22" and just under the ramp for the front sight shows what appears to be silver solder. My rifle came with a 5 round magazine that has made in Japan stamped on it and marked Santa Fe also. Barrel is a two groove barrel. Forend is cut down similar to Lonewulf's as well. No where on this rifle is anything stamped as being made by Parker Hale with the exception of the front sight. Curious as to who did the work but not being a Parker Hale rifle it is what it is.
I'm electronically challenged so cannot post pics. Thank you,Frank

These are all Parker Hales of one sort or another.

Edit: I forgot to mention, it's my understanding that the Japanese stamped 5 shot mags (with those nice rounded corners front and back) were made under contract for Parker-Hale.

Edited by lonewulf (03/05/16 07:00 AM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 60 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5638

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com