Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Parting out LSA Lee-Speed

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Lee Speed Forum & Archive

Pages: 1
rpeck

Reged: 06/12/13
Loc: Canada
Parting out LSA Lee-Speed
      #276590 - 15/01/16 04:50 AM

Thinking of parting out this LSA Lee-Speed. Does anyone need parts?:

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
TexasJohn
.300 member

Reged: 06/04/10
Loc: Texas
Re: Parting out LSA Lee-Speed [Re: rpeck]
      #276705 - 18/01/16 01:12 AM

R Peck,
Just my opinion mind you, and no hurt intended; but, if you can spell Brno, you don't need to be a college professor to see the tragedy and missed opportunity in parting out this fine old rifle. LSA rifles had a reputation for being better finished and fitted than the BSA ones. Yours looks complete, and granted, it has some issues, but what a platform for a first class build! My pristine BSA has the "Prince of Wales" type pistol grip stock like yours. It would be a step up to stock it with the classic swept grip English style stocks of the high-grade Lee Speeds. I also realize that you can probably make more money off the old gal if you part her out - if you can sell all the parts - which usually doesn't happen. I would love to own her, but such a project will be expensive and I not sure I would finish it in any reasonable time. I urge you to give the rifle some CPR instead of declaring her dead.

Just my two cents.

John

--------------------
John

"In the Texas Oilfield, everything that does not kill me today, gets another chance tomorrow."

50Calshtr
.300 member

Reged: 01/11/05
Loc: Southeast Georgia
Re: Parting out LSA Lee-Speed [Re: TexasJohn]
      #276706 - 18/01/16 01:45 AM

Well now that John has thankfully broken the ice I must say I agree with him 110%. What a shame to see this fine old rifle end up as a basket of parts. I'd be happy to clean it up a bit and hunt with it as is. BTW how big of a problem would it be to get this rifle into the US?
Thanks.

rpeck

Re: Parting out LSA Lee-Speed [Re: 50Calshtr]
      #276811 - 20/01/16 09:35 AM

"you don't need to be a college professor to see the tragedy and missed opportunity..."

...funny...I am a college professor...and the only tragedy I recognize is that no one in Canada seems to want to buy it for $300 (Canadian) dollars..and by the way, a Canadian dollar is rapidly becoming a peso.

I have no idea how to get guns into the USA. I used to know....but that was before 9/11 and all the subsequent restrictions. Did you know that now a Canadian can't even buy a hunting scope from the USA, not even from a private individual? But I can buy them from China!!?? I also can't order more than $100. worth of gun parts from Brownells without the hassle of applying for and (maybe) getting a US government export permit. These are all because of American laws, not Canadian ones.

However, I can ship any gun part to the US except for the actual receiver. So I can sell you guys the Lee-Speed stock and the bolt parts and trigger, etc...without any hassle.

I know I can send any antique gun to the USA. I sold a nice old Boer Mauser with a carved stock to a fellow in Illinois last year. No hassle...just put it in a box and send it in the mail, with a customs decaration stating it was an "antique arm". But what the US considers an antique and what the Canadian government considers an antique are totally different...many more guns are considered antique in the US. If this rifle was an official US antique then I could ship it to the US with no paperwork, but it probably isn't...not sure though. Anyone know?

Since no one has replied to my "parting out" ads, I doubt that will happen anyway.

..."what a platform for a first class build"...no thanks...been there, done that.

Hunt with it? Nope. I've got approx. 20 other rifles that I'd rather use, thanks.

I'll probably just give it to my son back home out in Alberta where there are a lot more gun shows than around here on the east coast. He usually has a table at the better shows. Maybe he can peddle it for me.

Edited by rpeck (20/01/16 09:38 AM)

ducmarc
.400 member

Reged: 14/07/14
Loc: fla
      #276888 - 21/01/16 12:31 PM

Talked to a friend with an ffl and he used an importer the last time he brought one in. 200$ plus shipping takes about 3 months.if anyone is interested ill get a name and number.

--------------------
'killed by death' Lemmy.. ' boil the dog ' Elvis Manywounds "my best friend is my magnum forty four" hank willams the third.

Sarg
.400 member

Reged: 20/01/07
Loc: Nil
Re: Parting out LSA Lee-Speed [Re: ducmarc]
      #276889 - 21/01/16 03:34 PM

This could very well be pre 1898 & the design definitely was !

Bidgee
.375 member

Reged: 08/04/15
Loc: Northern Rivers, NSW
Re: Parting out LSA Lee-Speed [Re: Sarg]
      #276891 - 21/01/16 06:14 PM

Pm sent

rpeck

Re: Parting out LSA Lee-Speed [Re: Bidgee]
      #277066 - 25/01/16 03:40 AM

So if its manufactured pre-1898 then its considered an antique in the USA?

Iowa_303s
.400 member

Reged: 22/03/13
Loc: Iowa, USA
      #277067 - 25/01/16 03:53 AM

US law states that if the receiver was manufactured on or before December 31, 1898 it is "antique".

--------------------
Matt

formerly known as Iowa_303

"Once your reputation is ruined you can live your life quite freely."

"Enkelkinder über alles"

ducmarc
.400 member

Re: Parting out LSA Lee-Speed [Re: Iowa_303s]
      #277260 - 28/01/16 11:45 AM

Pm sent

--------------------
'killed by death' Lemmy.. ' boil the dog ' Elvis Manywounds "my best friend is my magnum forty four" hank willams the third.

rpeck

#277288 - 29/01/16 11:03 AM

Its SOLD

Roy
.300 member

Reged: 06/09/15
Loc: New Mexico
      #277290 - 29/01/16 11:43 AM

Nice to see this has found a good home.

Cheers, Roy.

--------------------
My Website: www.wilkinsonfscollection.com

http://wilkinsonfscollection.com/wilkinsonfscollection.com/The_Lee-Speed_Rifle.html

rpeck

Re: Parting out LSA Lee-Speed [Re: Roy]
      #278201 - 20/02/16 12:45 AM

Well..it was sold....the fellow (In the USA, from this forum) agreed to purchase, wrote me several times, and said he was sending an International Money Order...and then I never heard from him again...no idea what happened. My emails to him go unanswered. So I guess its still for sale...Its all packed up and ready to go.

Edited by rpeck (20/02/16 12:46 AM)

ducmarc
.400 member

#278227 - 20/02/16 01:57 PM

I pmed u with my email address

--------------------

ducmarc
.400 member

#279239 - 13/03/16 04:25 PM

Well me pecks enfield arrived safe and sound.complete and inn good working order.i could not be happier but what is it it definitely marked lee speed LSA 11 no date matching barrel metford rifling.the bolt is mismatched the stock is unnumbered but checkered has a brass but plate which is numbered but not to the action missing the dust cover has no engraving anywhere looks to be organial sights I assume the barrel is stock 29" with no crown on the muzzle. Is it a real early model or a bargain basement model .still a cool shooter from way back when.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4144

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com