Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Mounting a reflex or red dot on Merkel 140 ae 470 NE

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
gwh
.333 member

Reged: 28/01/08
Loc: Cairns Australia
Mounting a reflex or red dot on Merkel 140 ae 470 NE
      #272441 - 31/10/15 10:55 AM

Hello all.

I am Toying with the idea of mounting a red dot on my Merkel. I know aimpoint used to have a mount for this with the h 1 sight , but are there other options that fit straight onto the Merkel? They are obviously set up for it with the plate on the rib.

I have emailed Beretta Australia also (aimpoint distributor). Any advice valued.

--------------------
Hunt hard, shoot straight

"I speak of Africa and golden joys; the joy of wandering through lonely lands; the joy of hunting the mighty and terrible lords of the wilderness, the cunning, the wary and the grim"

Theodore Roosevelt, Khartoum, 1910

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
MickoC
.224 member

Reged: 19/11/09
Loc: Queensland, Australia
Re: Mounting a reflex or red dot on Merkel 140 ae 470 NE [Re: gwh]
      #274757 - 08/12/15 10:04 PM

Graeme Spraggon at Tamworth may be the man to speak to ,he imports EAW mounts and Recknagel gear

mchughcb
.333 member

Reged: 21/02/14
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Mounting a reflex or red dot on Merkel 140 ae 470 NE [Re: MickoC]
      #274762 - 08/12/15 11:15 PM

If its not too high then a picatinny swing mount and you can them mount red dot or scope as required and take them off when you don't need them.

http://www.optics-trade.eu/au/mounts/aim...oint-micro.html

Well_Well_Well
.333 member

Reged: 03/01/07
Loc: Australia
Re: Mounting a reflex or red dot on Merkel 140 ae 470 NE [Re: mchughcb]
      #274802 - 09/12/15 11:35 AM

I think a weaver rail would end up too high one the rail, mount and sight are stacked up.

I'm very interested in the results too!

gwh
.333 member

Reged: 28/01/08
Loc: Cairns Australia
Re: Mounting a reflex or red dot on Merkel 140 ae 470 NE [Re: Well_Well_Well]
      #274804 - 09/12/15 01:10 PM

Beretta have a mount in stock that does both the aimpoint micro H2 and h1. All very doable.

--------------------
Hunt hard, shoot straight

"I speak of Africa and golden joys; the joy of wandering through lonely lands; the joy of hunting the mighty and terrible lords of the wilderness, the cunning, the wary and the grim"

Theodore Roosevelt, Khartoum, 1910

aromakr
.375 member

Reged: 20/04/11
Loc: Hamilton, Montana
      #274831 - 10/12/15 02:48 AM

Probably a slight modification to a Weaver mount will work. If you milled a slot in a flat bottom weaver to fit over the rib, that could move the mount down. For strength reasons I would get a steel version though,
Bob

Jumbo
.224 member

Reged: 02/05/13
Loc: Zambia
Re: Mounting a reflex or red dot on Merkel 140 ae 470 NE [Re: aromakr]
      #279185 - 12/03/16 11:59 PM

Have you looked at the Trijicon RMR, as they have a number of mount options available. I found one that is perfect on my Krieghoff double.

Wondering if you have come right?

--------------------
Decisions made.......now to find the gun!
.450NE is still the dream, but along came the Krieghoff .470NE.........couldn't say no!

aromakr
.375 member

Reged: 20/04/11
Loc: Hamilton, Montana
Re: Mounting a reflex or red dot on Merkel 140 ae 470 NE [Re: Jumbo]
      #279206 - 13/03/16 07:02 AM

I put a Burris reflex red dot on my Sabatti, made a base from 6061 aluminum that screws to the rear holes for the scope base, not using the block supplied with the reflex site. It sits low on the mono block and gives me extremely fast target acquisition. I was really Leary of doing it, but now I like it. If you use that type of site be sure to get one with battery access on top and a on/off switch otherwise you have to remove the site to change battery, and I'm not sure it will return to zero when you do.
Bob

Edited by aromakr (13/03/16 07:03 AM)

Postman
.375 member

Reged: 25/09/13
Loc: Canada
      #279212 - 13/03/16 10:17 AM

Quote:

Hello all.

I am Toying with the idea of mounting a red dot on my Merkel. I know aimpoint used to have a mount for this with the h 1 sight , but are there other options that fit straight onto the Merkel? They are obviously set up for it with the plate on the rib.

I have emailed Beretta Australia also (aimpoint distributor). Any advice valued.

I mounted a Trijicon RMR on my Merkel. You will need the optional "custom mount for 14mm ribs" as it is referred to by Trijicon. I did not have the removable plate on my present 9.3x74R Merkel's rib so I had to machine a 60 degree v slot on either side of the rib and a tiny locating slot on top of the rib. My other .470 Merkel had the removable plate and the plate already had the 60 degree grooves machined into either side. The Trijicon mount comes with a little roll pin and a hole drilled in the bottom of the mount where one can tap the roll pin into it with a tap hammer such that it becomes a locating pin. The locating pin should fit into the socket of the head of the forward hex head screw that is used to fasten the rib plate into the rib. The locating pin helps to ensure the RMR is placed on the rib in the same position should one decide to take it off and then remount it. I no longer have that .470 Merkel but I remember it well.

The Trijicon sits nice and low on the rib and aligns very nicely with one's eye. It can be mounted on a picatinney rail etc with various mounts available from Trijicon, but on a double, these alternate mounting methods render the sight too high for quick and utterly natural sight acquisition.

Postman.

TonyD227
.300 member

Reged: 09/07/15
Loc: NSW Australia
Re: Mounting a reflex or red dot on Merkel 140 ae 470 NE [Re: aromakr]
      #279214 - 13/03/16 10:26 AM

I fitted the below Sight Mark to my Sabatti with the rail the rifle came with, 11mm ?

and this is how it shoots at 50m two rounds each barrel.

I got two from the US for a bit over $100 for the pair. closer to $100 each in Aust.

They handle the recoil from my 45-70 just fine.

--------------------
When to much recoil is just not enough.

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 55 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6260

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com