Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Double discharge of a .500 NE with Merelize

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Double discharge of a .500 NE with Merelize
      #279057 - 10/03/16 06:05 AM

https://web.facebook.com/HuntressMerelize/videos/899477473469335/

Quote:

I just had a double discharge from a 500 nitro express..... Whoop Whoop think I'm the first woman ever to have 1040 grains punched into her shoulder.... and I SURVIVED LOL!!! I have witnesses

She hangs onto the rifle well even with a bit whiplash!

Edited by NitroX (10/03/16 06:17 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Double discharge of a .500 NE with Merelize [Re: NitroX]
      #279058 - 10/03/16 06:40 AM

Hmm - this would indicate the .500 Nitro EX was loaded with 520gr. Was the .505 Gibbs the only one using 570gr. bullets?

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Rockdoc
.400 member

Reged: 07/12/06
Loc: NSW, Australia
Re: Double discharge of a .500 NE with Merelize [Re: DarylS]
      #279065 - 10/03/16 09:19 AM

Daryl, most likely she meant 1140gr as the ammo is typically 570gr projectile and especially so in factory Hornady 500 NE 3"

FWIW the Hornady factory ammo clocked 2080fps in my old 500-3 1/4" NE 26" barrels when I tried a couple. So maybe a little faster in a 3" chamber.

Gave her a great shove eh Did well hanging onto it.

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: Double discharge of a .500 NE with Merelize [Re: Rockdoc]
      #279066 - 10/03/16 10:59 AM

I bet there are (including me) many on NE that might not have handled it as well.

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

crshelton
.333 member

Reged: 10/11/15
Loc: Republic of Texas
Re: Double discharge of a .500 NE with Merelize [Re: gryphon]
      #279070 - 10/03/16 01:02 PM

Mmm??
I watched the video and found no explanation of whether she pulled both triggers or if it was a rifle failure. Nor was there any mention of the make or model of the rifle???
Does anyone here know?

--------------------
CRS,NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
Re: Double discharge of a .500 NE with Merelize [Re: crshelton]
      #279076 - 10/03/16 07:45 PM

Iīve done it ! It turned me 30 deg sideways though. I only weigh 10 1/2 stone ! Canīt say that it hurt though mind you, I would hate to have it happen if you didnīt have a firm grip on it and well into the shoulder.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Double discharge of a .500 NE with Merelize [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #279078 - 10/03/16 07:59 PM

She had her finger slip off the first trigger to pull the second under recoil for the double discharge. Even though the bang seems to be just one bang.

I don't know the brand of the rifle.

Mike,

I pulled a muscle in my back, shooting a .600 NE "nonchalantly" without a proper stance once. Not a double discharge either.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

mauserand9mm
.400 member

Reged: 03/09/09
Loc: Queensland, Australia
Re: Double discharge of a .500 NE with Merelize [Re: NitroX]
      #279087 - 10/03/16 11:17 PM

Based on the shape of the side plate (it's a box lock) it looks like my Merkel but I couldn't see the barrel mounted sling swivel.

My Merkel (500NE) will double every time if I pull the rear trigger first and use 570gn loads - it's never happened but I've noticed both strikers firing when I've put single rounds through it.

In my case it could be one of three reasons:
1. The front trigger is lighter than the rear;
2. The front trigger is articulated (swings forward so the trigger finger doesn't get belted into the back of it when firing the rear trigger) and, with the rifle cocked, when I swing that trigger forward and let it snap back by itself it will trip the sear;
3. The rear trigger internal mechanism has an recoil operated (inertia?) interceptor (?) that blocks the sear whereas the front trigger mechanism doesn't.

The Merkel manual says to fire the front trigger (RH barrel first) for reasons of regulation but I wonder if this is the only reason. Many people will argue that you should be able to fire whichever barrel first but I'm happy to live with RH first.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Double discharge of a .500 NE with Merelize [Re: mauserand9mm]
      #279093 - 11/03/16 02:58 AM

If she'd had her fingers on both triggers, she'd likely be bleeding from the back of the front trigger cutting to the bone on her rear trigger finger.

This is what happened on a light 12 bore O/U Baikal on some 2 3/4" magnum 2's - I never did it twice. I'd think the .500 would really do a trick on that rear finger - if not articulated as noted in mausernad9mm's post. If both bingers were in there, the articulation of the front trigger would stop when the index finger hit the front of the guard, thus still cutting the rear trigger's finger.

Looks to me, it simply doubled.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

crshelton
.333 member

Re: Double discharge of a .500 NE with Merelize [Re: DarylS]
      #279109 - 11/03/16 09:47 AM

Mauserand9mm
I have seen posts on multiple forums about Merkel double riflesdoing just what you described.
My question is whether these Merkel rifles are Merkel factory double rifles or were they Merkel shotguns converted to rifles?
Is your Merkel rifle a factory double rifle?

--------------------

LesLeeSpeed
.300 member

Reged: 14/11/13
Loc: Queensland Australia
      #279123 - 11/03/16 12:59 PM

Hi,
I've done it twice, once with Mauserand9mm's Merkel, which is a factory Merkel DR, not a converted shotgun. I am a lefty and shoot rear trigger 1st, and it was exactly as described above from what we could make out after quite a bit of experimenting to find the reason.
About a month later, my VC 500NE arrived, so off I went to the range. 1st shot, I thought after my previous experience, that I would shoot front trigger first. Same again. This time, the recoil shifted my trigger finger onto the rear trigger and off it went.
Back to shooting rear first on the VC.
It doesn't hurt, but does get your attention!!!
LesLeeSpeed

mauserand9mm
.400 member

Reged: 03/09/09
Loc: Queensland, Australia
Re: Double discharge of a .500 NE with Merelize [Re: LesLeeSpeed]
      #279133 - 11/03/16 09:30 PM

LesLeeSpeed - I wasn't going to mention any names...

(By the way, LesLeeSpeed is not a big guy and handled it very well. I was standing right next to him when it happened and, apart from the loud noise, noticed him disappear completely from the corner of my eye.)

I believe that the later version Merkels have an interceptor on both sears now, but they want to work really fast

crshelton
.333 member

Re: Double discharge of a .500 NE with Merelize [Re: mauserand9mm]
      #279171 - 12/03/16 12:56 PM

Thanks Aussies!
The other Merkel problems I have seen on other forums (even including a new rifle which would not fire one of the barrels) have all turned out to be Merkel factory rifles, not Merkel shotgun conversions.
As you likely know, the Merkel factory has made shotguns for many different brands over the years, but all the guns were of the same basic design and features. This includes the Simson Co Suhl shotguns which have a good reputation for strength and reliability and are known to make good donor guns for double rifles. The Merkel shotguns are essentially the same as Simson and also make good donors for double rifles.
Why do I care and glad those troublesome doubles were not made from shotguns? It is that I am planning a .458 caliber double rifle based on a Merkel 12 gauge shotgun and am sensitive to the names Merkel and Simson(of which I have heard only good).

Sorry you and others have had problems with Merkel double rifles, but glad they were not based upon the Merkel shotgun.

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#279197 - 13/03/16 05:00 AM

Quote:

As you likely know, the Merkel factory has made shotguns for many different brands over the years, but all the guns were of the same basic design and features. This includes the Simson Co Suhl shotguns which have a good reputation for strength and reliability and are known to make good donor guns for double rifles. The Merkel shotguns are essentially the same as Simson and also make good donors for double rifles.
Why do I care and glad those troublesome doubles were not made from shotguns? It is that I am planning a .458 caliber double rifle based on a Merkel 12 gauge shotgun and am sensitive to the names Merkel and Simson(of which I have heard only good).

All this crap that appears from time to time claiming Merkel double rifles are made from a "shotgun action". It originally was said and promoted on the internet by someone touting for another brand and wishing to cast negative comments on Merkel double rifles. And no doubt net experts read it and keep repeating it.

If it is a shotgun made into a double rifle, it is NOT a Merkel DR but something some after market gunsmith has conconcted ...

Someone once reported Merkel shotguns are often made on the double rifle action ... no idea ... perhaps it doesn't matter a bit.

For the idea of making a DR from an existing Merkel shotgun, well, reputable DR gunmsiths and enthusiasts on here could probably advise.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 134 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3301

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com