Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Mystery 350 Rigby

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
Mystery 350 Rigby
      #2779 - 12/05/03 01:10 PM

Hello Everyone
I am hoping some one may be able to shed some light on a particular cartridge and find out if it does actually exist.
The cartridge in question is the 350 Rigby Flanged Magnum.
Does any one have one of these in their collection?
Does anyone know of a double chambered for this round?
The only 35 cal Rigby cartridges I've come accross are the 400/350, the 350 No2, and the 350 Rimless Magnum. The first two rounds are flanged for doubles and singles, and the rimless mag is used in bolt guns.
Is there actually a flanged version of the Rigby 350 Rimless Magnum?
I have more than one book which make mention of this cartridge.
Cheers Alan

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Mystery 350 Rigby [Re: 4seventy]
      #2788 - 12/05/03 11:11 PM

Alan

A friend of mine has a .350 Rigby Magnum - in an almost unfired mint condition Rigby. He purchased it on the condition by the seller that he could not fire it.

I think the flanged version of the rimless .350 Rigby Magnum is what you are referring to, and is also known as the .350 No. 2 Rigby. The only difference in the case between the .350 Rigby Magnum and the .350 No. 2 Rigby is the first is rimless and the second is flanged.

Would make a nice medium double rifle calibre especially if the double is handy and light, don't you think?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
Re: Mystery 350 Rigby [Re: NitroX]
      #2791 - 13/05/03 09:44 AM

John
Cartridges of the World claim that the 350 No 2 is just a flanged version of the 350 Rigby Rimless Mag but I think this is not correct.
If you can get a look at a 350 No 2 and a 350 Rimless Mag and put them side by side you'll see that they are quite different in case size and capacity. The 350 No 2 actually uses the same case as the 400/350 Rigby. The 350 Rigby Rimless Mag uses a case which has a larger diameter at both base and shoulder.
Graeme Wright mentions in his book Shooting The British Double Rifle, that the 350 No 2 is not the same as the flanged version of the 350 Rigby magnum.
I believe the 350 No 2 is just the 400/350 loaded with a lighter bullet. 225 gn instead of 310 gn.
What I am really trying to find out, is, does a Flanged cartridge actually exsist which has the same dimentions as the Rigby 350 rimless mag.
As to these cartridges being good in a double, guess what my most used, go anywhere double is chambered for.
Although the 400/350 was a flanged cartridge and mainly used in doubles, Rigby also produced a bolt gun chambered for this round. Very nice too!
Alan

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 42 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2312

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com