Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: My new double riffle

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
JPK
.375 member

Reged: 31/08/04
Loc: Chevy Chase, MD
Re: My new double riffle [Re: new_guy]
      #27944 - 18/03/05 12:50 PM

You guys are having an intresting debate and the same one I've been having with myself too.

By the way if JJ did the work it would be entered into MT's "books" This was sugested by JJ. He was very enthusiastic about looking at the rifle when we first talked and his previous ties with MT are the reason why. He said to get it on the "books" all he would need to do is call Marcel and get him to write a letter... I'm not sure of Belgian proof rules but it would seem that that kind of work would require repfoof. I'd be happy to shoot the gun without reproof but it would be something that should be done at some not too distant point.

As for balistics of the 458wm, it really for me comes down to the fact that a good bullet of 500gr or, 480gr .458" or .476" or close at 2050 or 2100 or better 2150 is going to do the job on anything and it doesn't matter one bit what the cartridge that fires it is named. (not in this paragragh discussing feed and/or extraction and ejection issues, or even really action type ) I personaly have zero experience here but about a hundred years of others' experience seem to prove this out.

From Kynamco's web sight they give the balistics of the 450NE 3 1/4" as a 480gr at 2150 out of a 28" barrel, ie a lot of blue sky for a shorter length rifle. Energy figures are 4930 again out of a 28" barrel and so lots of blue sky.

Their 470 numbers are for the 500grs OUT OF A 31" BARREL at 2125 and 5030. Talk about blue sky!

Looking at Federals' #'s the 470 is shown pushing 500gr at 2150 out of a more realistic 24" with energy at 5132 and I've been told there's some optimism in those #s but not that much, maybe 50 - 100fps.

Federals 458wm #'s are 500grs at 2090 and 4849 again out of 24". I've been told these #'s are actually pretty close with maybe 50fps of optimism.

My riffle has 26" barrels and I hoping it will see about those #'s with a load that will match regulation. Early indications seem to be that the barrels are together with the federal load but about 2" low. If so a simple change of front sights might do or if not I'll have to find a load that will work. I haven't shot the gun near enough and don't have near enough experience to say where I'll end up if I keep going with the 458wm.

I don't have a chrono but a fellow I know who loves good rifles has invited me down to his range to use his and I'm going to take him up on that. Anyone have any real world #'s for their rifles with loads that work?

I beleive that the problems with the 458wm are pretty much a thing of the past and modern powders and keeping your ammo fresh have overcome bad history whether you're talking factory or reload. In fact I've read here or on AR that Horniday's heavy magnum, advertised at 2260fps actually clocks those #'s out of a 22" barrel, and all within SAAMI specs. Won't do me much good since the chances that that stuff would match regulation are nil, but that kind of puts the kbosh on the idea of 458wm not being up to snuff. Those numbers beat the Kynamco #'s by a huge margin and are close to Lott factory #'s.

On the other hand If I was building a bolt rifle it would be in 458 Lott loaded to an honest 2150 though.

Anyway those are my thoughts for what they're worth.

By the way, whats the trick to taking good photos of rifles. I got my wife's digital out today and took my rifle outside ( overcast day ) and all I got were photos of what could have been a dark 2x4. Tried again with a light shining on the gun and the flash and the photos were hardly better. I would love to post good photos or send them to someone who would post them for me.

Thanks,

JPK

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
Re: My new double riffle [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #27945 - 18/03/05 12:51 PM

In reply to:

and no more valid than the opinion of anyone else

I don't believe all internet opinion shares equal validity.

Personally I tend to rate the opinions based on unbiased first hand experience far higher than the ones based on armchair theory.

Sometimes it can be hard to tell which is which however!

4seventy
Sponsor

Re: My new double riffle [Re: JPK]
      #27946 - 18/03/05 01:07 PM

JPK
Something I've noticed regarding all the nay saying about 458 Win is that the ones who tend to make the most noise concerning it's problems are also often the ones who have the least amount of experience with it and in some instances they may actually have none.

I'll stir the pot a little here and say that I'd be happy to leave that Thys as a 458 if it were mine, shoot the hell out of the thing on targets and non dangerous animals, see how reliable it is, then make a decision.

JPK
.375 member

Reged: 31/08/04
Loc: Chevy Chase, MD
Re: My new double riffle [Re: 4seventy]
      #27947 - 18/03/05 01:08 PM

By the way, I should point out that if this rifle had been chambered in 470NE, I probably could not have afforded it.

And yes, I used the chambering to get the seller to come off his asking price, which was already reduced because of the chambering. He failed to sell the rifle at SCI and apparently got some serious negative feedback due to its chambering. I was leary enough to price up the conversion to 450NE 3 1/4" before negotiating on price. And sent the rifle to JJ for a check and to make sure it could be converted too.

It actually suprised me that JJ sugested leaving it 458wm. Also for what its worth the conversion cost would not have come anywhere near the price difference between this rifle and a similar one in a rimmed cartridge. The seller has a 500 or 577 Thys sidelock for sale at a multiple of what I paid for this rifle.

JPK

ALAN_MCKENZIE
.400 member

Reged: 24/03/04
Loc: Western Australia
      #27948 - 18/03/05 01:25 PM

New Guy said:-As for all that arm-chair gunsmith, rimmed, belted extraction BS you read here - I'm glad to see that you actually consulted with a well known gunsmith for his professional opinion.

Be very carefull what you say because you are starting to sound like the ARMCHAIR EX-SPERT !!!!

--------------------
"Dogs always bark at their master"
Sir Seretse Khama.25th June 1949

new_guy
Sponsor

Reged: 10/08/04
Loc: Texas
Re: My new double riffle [Re: ALAN_MCKENZIE]
      #27951 - 18/03/05 02:35 PM

No, I'm not pretending to be an expert... nor do I believe anything in my previous posts implies such.

I've ownded 3 double rifles and only have 2 now, certainly can't work on one, regulate it and can't imagine what it takes to actually build one.

My only agenda is to try and get others to consider differing opinions with their predetermined prejudices aside.

Approaching any subject with two sides - and not lending any credibility to the opposing point of view (based on the logical and proven credentials of this subject) is BS.

I've owned doubles in rimmed and belted cartridges, so i have no agenda for one over the other.

And JPK has a good point on the percieved value of these guns - when you run across a belted or rimless double at a good price, let JPK or I know.

--------------------
www.heymUSA.com

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
      #27954 - 18/03/05 03:34 PM

Just a couple of comments to keep things rolling.

While JJ may be able to get a rechamber in the Thys books because of their relationship (close)unless he has made a Liege Proof House stamp the rifle will be unproofed.

Marcel, who built the rifle in the mid 80s, is not a hunter. Most of the famous gun making companies were run by non hunters and the gunmakers almost never hunted. They relied on their customers to tell them what to build.

The 458 headspaces on the very slight shoulder. There is no bolt head to extract it if it sticks. there is nothing wrong with it in a proper action but a Double is not it.

I think you did good getting it with the idea of converting it to a 4502 or a 450 3 1/4. It will probably be fine as a 458 but I am a firm believer that Murphy was an Optimist.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

4seventy
Sponsor

#27960 - 18/03/05 04:28 PM

Here's a little bit of info that may be of interest concerning the 458 Win Mag.

It is often claimed that one of the main reasons that Jack Lott designed the 458 Lott cartridge was because in the late 50's he had been tossed by a Buffalo which had been wounded by him with a 458.
It is usually claimed that the 458 was the culprit and that Jack blamed the cartridge performance, or lack of it, as the reason for the wounding of the Buff as well as the resulting injury when he was tossed.

Well, it aint true!
Sure, Jack was tossed and injured by a wounded bull and he was indeed using a 458 Win, but..........

Jacks two shots were Not well placed.
His first shot, a soft, entered the ribs and went into the gut.
His second, a solid, broke a front leg below the shoulder, went into the gut also, and didn't damage anything vital on the way.
The next 7 shots by the PH from a 375 failed to have any real effect either.
Those 7 shots were supposed to be "well placed".
The PH, Wally Johnson, ended up finishing the bull with a shot to the back of the head from the 458.

Edited by 4seventy (18/03/05 04:58 PM)

AussieMike
.300 member

Reged: 01/09/04
Loc: Southern Tablelands, NSW, Aust...
      #27964 - 18/03/05 06:43 PM

In terms of the POI being low, it just may need a slightly brisker load. I've played extensively with four doubles - two act as expected and shoot apart at lower velocities, come together and then cross at higher velocities. The other two will shoot the correct weight bullet together at a range of velocities (+/- 100fps) but with about a 6" variation at 50 yds in elevation - faster = higher. Calibres are 375H&H and 470. Maybe try some of those premium loads which give higher velocity at normal or lower pressures. they are currently being discussed in the big bore rifle section.

BTW - if I was planning a DG trip and was not a handloader I'd buy a rifle in 458 rather than 470 because for a given amount of money you can have so much more practice with a 458 because of the lower cost and I reckon this would more than make up for any possible risk of failed extraction.

mike

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 118 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *
Topic views: 8964

You rated this topic a 1.
Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com