Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 9.3x72R on GunBroker - Steer Clear!

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
brandoninaz
.224 member

Reged: 22/02/10
Loc: SC
9.3x72R on GunBroker - Steer Clear!
      #277915 - 13/02/16 05:25 PM

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=539968346

I recently purchased, and subsequently returned the rifle listed here after realizing it was a beautiful mess.

The gun has apparently been hot blued, and the remaining solder is in poor shape. The ribs will need to be re laid, and the barrels will likely need to be regulated again once the wedge is resoldered into place. Barrels are off face, and the gun has been rechambered from a short 9.3 round, without fully cleaning up the rifling (rifling remains in the neck area).

It's obvious in the pictures that the gun had been refinished, but I purchased it, hoping it had been done properly. After pointing out these issues to the store owner, he stated he would no longer attempt to sell the rifle for its owner after I had returned it. As you can see, it has not only been relisted, but no longer has a return policy available. He appears to be trying to kick the can down the road to the next owner. I explained the rifle's shortcomings in detail to this buyer, so he cannot claim he is unaware of its condition.

It's really too bad about the rifle. The metal and wood were nice, but some enterprising gunsmith messed up the package. There was also a fair bit of rust that could be seen under the ribs through the gaps in the solder. If I had the time and ability, I would have loved to have fixed it up myself. The rifle was light and graceful.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
brandoninaz
.224 member

Re: 9.3x72R on GunBroker - Steer Clear! [Re: brandoninaz]
      #277916 - 13/02/16 05:49 PM

"Prima Krupp Stahl 9.3 x 72R Side-by-Side Rifle
Rare Prima Krupp Stahl 9.3 x 72R Double Barrel Side by Side Rifle

Up for auction is this Rare Prima Krupp Stahl 9.3 x 72R Double Barrel Side by Side Rifle. Made in Germany. You will almost never see two exactly alike. This custom made rifle is for the serious collector only. The pictures do not do this gun justice. It's a true beauty."

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #277931 - 14/02/16 05:25 AM

Too bad, would have made a really FUN black-bear, deer rifle, certainly capable of moose or elk too.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

brandoninaz
.224 member

Re: 9.3x72R on GunBroker - Steer Clear! [Re: DarylS]
      #277933 - 14/02/16 05:41 AM

I know! I really wanted to keep it, but it would have cost another $2k or more to make the gun right. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't justify the cost. I would like to give the gunsmith who did that work a piece of my mind.

I would imagine the locks and receiver originally had a case hardened finish until someone realized "all the bluing had rubbed off".

If anyone else is interested in the gun, and thinks it might be worth dumping the extra money into, here are some additional details.
- Mostly buffed out "Carl Goluch" engraved on the barrel
- Nitro proof marks 1907
- One hammer is loose, and flops around a bit laterally
- Bottom rib seems solidly attached, but has about 50% solder remaining
- Both front and back triggers are set triggers
- Wood to metal fit around the locks and receiver is excellent

AkMike
.416 member

Reged: 19/11/05
Loc: Anchorage, Alaska
      #277962 - 14/02/16 04:39 PM

Keep watching the swap and sell here. I have 2- 9.3X72's that'll be listed fairly soon.

--------------------
"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; you may know that your society is doomed." Ayn Rand

Pages: 1

Extra information
3 registered and 39 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3379

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com