Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: GEW 91 CARBINE ? What did I buy ? ERFURT 1895

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
buckstix
.400 member

Reged: 07/11/12
Loc: Whitetail Country
GEW 91 CARBINE ? What did I buy ? ERFURT 1895
      #227984 - 04/04/13 07:38 AM

Hello Experts,

Like they say, "Help someone in need, and he'll know where to go when he needs something again".

So here we are.

I just got back from Cabelas with another unusual purchase. And, as usual, I have no clue what I bought. I have seen and I have owned Mauser 71's - 88's - 95's - GEW 98's - K98's - etc. But, I've never seen or heard of a GEW 91.

Every time I see something I've never seen before, I'm compelled to buy it. (within reason) Thats how this one came to follow me home.

Its got a full length mannilicher stock. The receiver is in the white, everything else is blued. Barrel length is 17-5/8" measured down the bore to the bolt face. Lots of small crown proofs overall, and some are also on the wood.

The left side of the rail is marked "GEW 91" with a small "nm" underneath. The receiver is marked at the top with an "S" and "Crown / Erfurt" below, and a date of 1895, below that. The left side of the muzzle cap is stamped "15.R.A.F.4.15" with s series of "slash lines" through the numbers. There is also an "X" cut into the wood just below the cap on that side. The right side of the muzzle cap is stamped "1.R.A.F.8.107" which I assume is some kind of Bavarian Regimental Mark. The serial number is "1244" and there are small "44"s stamped on each and every metal part. However, the Spoon Bolt handle has a serial number "3481", but it also has "slash lines" through each number, and there is a "44" stamped below it. All the components of the bolt are stamped "81".

Here are some pictures. The question is: What did I buy.

--------------------
"You never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early."

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
dons
.333 member

Reged: 18/08/07
Loc: Essex
Re: GEW 91 CARBINE ? What did I buy ? ERFURT 1895 [Re: buckstix]
      #227998 - 04/04/13 11:28 AM

Basically this carbine is a Kar88 with a stacking hook.

kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
Re: GEW 91 CARBINE ? What did I buy ? ERFURT 1895 [Re: dons]
      #228046 - 04/04/13 11:23 PM

The "Gewehr 91" was the name for the M88 carbine with a stacking rod added. Gew 91 were issued to foot artillery and other non-mounted special units. Your example was made by the royal Prussian rifle factory Erfurt. "n.m." = neues material shows it was made with the improved, reinforced barrel. It was first issued to 15th (Prussian)Reserve Artillery regiment on foot, 4th battery, rifle number 15. After WW1 started it was withdrawn from service and converted to use the then-standard S-type ammo, "S" stamp on receiver ring. The bolt body was replaced with one of another carbine, correctly renumbered . The magazine was fitted with the clip-ejecting cover at the same time. Then it was reissued to the 1st Reserve Artillery Regiment, 8th battery, rifle number 107. Here is a photo of a peacetime soldier with a Gew91:

--------------------
German foresters: We like sustainability! For merely 300 years by 2013.

buckstix
.400 member

Reged: 07/11/12
Loc: Whitetail Country
Re: GEW 91 CARBINE ? What did I buy ? ERFURT 1895 [Re: kuduae]
      #228095 - 05/04/13 07:57 AM

Thank you kuduae,

Thank you for the information and the translation of the markings. And especially thank you for the very nice photo showing an artillery foot soldier with his 91. I will be shooting my little rifle as soon as the weather warms, and will post the results.

--------------------
"You never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early."

Vladymere
.300 member

Reged: 11/08/15
Loc: North Carolina, USA
Re: GEW 91 CARBINE ? What did I buy ? ERFURT 1895 [Re: buckstix]
      #277898 - 13/02/16 05:13 AM

It appears that you have a arsenal forced match bolt which will affect it's value some but not like a mismatched bolt. Gew.91s are a scarce rifle and this rifle, even with the force matched bolt, should command a high value amongst collectors.

Vlad

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: GEW 91 CARBINE ? What did I buy ? ERFURT 1895 [Re: Vladymere]
      #277901 - 13/02/16 05:53 AM

Did you get clips with it? Or - does it use something like a Carcano clip?

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 41 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4850

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com