Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: A new project on a Lee Speed action

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Lee Speed Forum & Archive

Pages: 1
Gunnie
.224 member

Reged: 22/07/04
Loc: Queensland, Australia
A new project on a Lee Speed action
      #235728 - 17/09/13 10:56 PM

I've begun asking about a project I'm considering on another site. So far the info has been great and there has been plenty of sound advice.
I have dropped the odd line from time to time here and thought seeing as I want to build a classic styled stalking rifle on a Lee Speed action I have, what better place to also seek knowledge.

So far, I have decided that the 375x2.5 cartridge would be the round of choice. The only fly in the ointment has been a few comments regarding the problems of feeding the straight walled case from the 10-round magazine.

What I am seeking, fellow Lee Speed officiandoes, is sagely advice on my choice of cartridge and it's suitability to the LS action. I have seen posts here indicating this cartridge came as a factory chambering, so understand it should work. What I don't know is whether or not these rifles had single stack magazines of used the double row of the 10-rounder? Is there anything specific that needs to be done to the LS action to ensure trouble free feeding of the 375x2.5?

I have also seen the post showing a mag with some 375x2.5" rounds in it, has the mag undergone any modification and what is the capacity?

Any advice that can be proffered would be greatly appreciated. Info such as barrel lengths and dimensions, sight arrangements, barrel band for the sling or not.

Thanks in advance.

--------------------
Reach out, way out, one shot & one shot should do the job!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Oldbrit
.333 member

Reged: 04/04/10
Loc: UK
Re: A new project on a Lee Speed action [Re: Gunnie]
      #235732 - 18/09/13 02:50 AM

The pictures of the magazine were my rifle. It's a standard Lee Speed manufactured in 375X2½ and it feeds perfectly. It's a five round magazine and is, as far as I know, as it left the factory.

Gunnie
.224 member

Re: A new project on a Lee Speed action [Re: Oldbrit]
      #235830 - 20/09/13 08:39 AM

Thanks for the heads up Old Brit. Figured it might have been but nice to confirm my thoughts.

Well my project is gaining momentum. Picked up a 28" .375 Pac-Nor Cro-Mo barrel blank yesterday for $400. Spoke to the gunsmith and he has the reamer and is able to do the job. He mentioned that there is an issue with the straight walled 375Flanged rounds feeding from the SMLE magazines. So I need to explore this problem further.

I've seen and been told by others that there is no problem, so that has me a tad perplexed at the moment. EIther these informants have, as in Old Brit's case, an original factory made LS rifle in this cartridge, or they have a rifle with a modified magazine.

Now I need to source the supplier in Tasmania who bought Geoff Slee's equipment so I can get my hands on some woodwork.

Can get Kynock factory 270gn SP rounds at $30 a box of 20. So that covers the cases and the first 100 shots. Next I need to source a set of reloading dies - anybody comment on what they're using for their 375 Flanged?

The sights have been selected and I'll place the order in the next day or so. Chequering kit is ordered, have some old stock wood at home to practise on.

Sometime over Xmas I'll be paying a visit to a fellow shooter up Kingaroy way to explore the mysteries of casting, reloading and shooting cast projectiles.

So the whole project is beginning to take on life and heading towards completion. Am enjoying the journey.

--------------------

Oldbrit
.333 member

Reged: 04/04/10
Loc: UK
      #235867 - 20/09/13 09:18 PM

Quote:

Can get Kynock factory 270gn SP rounds at $30 a box of 20. So that covers the cases and the first 100 shots. Next I need to source a set of reloading dies - anybody comment on what they're using for their 375 Flanged?

Cases are available from Bertram, Kynamco and Horneber. The Horneber are best but be prepared for a long, long wait. Take a look at my posts on this thread:

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=146516&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1

My CH dies were OKish but the case sizer only neck sized and the bullet seating die didn't crimp (the case wouldn't go far enough into the die to reach the crimp shoulder). However, they were much cheaper than anybody else's so I suppose you get what you pay for. They worked perfectly well for my single shot Webley. When I bought the Lee Speed I also got a set of secondhand RCBS dies with it. They are perfectly satisfactory. If you're stuck for a shell holder try one for a 44/40, it worked for me and my brass and they are much easier to find.

Matt_Graham
Sponsor

Reged: 26/02/04
Loc: Australia
      #237551 - 08/11/13 01:38 AM

Quote:

Now I need to source the supplier in Tasmania who bought Geoff Slee's equipment so I can get my hands on some woodwork.

Gunnie - not sure if you have this sorted yet but Geoff's patterns are with Gordon Cussens in Tasmania. He has another pattern that he made up for me too - not exactly traditional but I like it a lot.

Cheers
Matt

--------------------
www.huntaust.com.au

Gunnie
.224 member

Re: A new project on a Lee Speed action [Re: Matt_Graham]
      #237610 - 09/11/13 10:48 AM

Matt,

put the action & barrel into to Allan Swan a few weeks back. Have also spoken to Gordon re a set of wood. He was laid up for a while with a bad flu. I have to chase Allan up next week to get the barrel profile measurements to then pass on to Gordon.

Scored a set of Simplex Master dies a few weeks back and will be ordering 100 factory rounds as my ammo base to work with.

Will see how the work is progressing shortly and hopefully get some pics up.

--------------------

Matt_Graham
Sponsor

#237611 - 09/11/13 12:05 PM

Which stock design did you go with? The original Slee pattern or the new one? I presume Gordon kept a copy of the one he made for me (he said he was going to). Consider sending the metalwork down to Gordon and get him to fit it for you.... he did an awesome job of fitting mine. The blanks came back to me fitted but unfinished - I still havent finished them - but I will!! Been getting the metalwork finished ... but the buffalo forend tip HAS been added!!!

Some people have told me that this is not very traditional... I dont care, it fits me like a glove.

--------------------
www.huntaust.com.au

Edited by Matt_Graham (09/11/13 12:06 PM)

Gunnie
.224 member

#237688 - 11/11/13 12:34 AM

Matt,

beautiful piece of wood. I've asked for the classic pattern, not sure if this is Geoff Slee's original pattern of the newer one. If the metal work gets done soon enough then I may very well consider sending it down to Gordon.

--------------------

buckbrush
.300 member

Reged: 23/08/07
Loc: Alberta
      #237755 - 13/11/13 06:19 AM

IMO, the grain flow in your stocks pistol grip area is not ideal.

Matt_Graham
Sponsor

Re: A new project on a Lee Speed action [Re: buckbrush]
      #237797 - 14/11/13 04:25 PM

Quote:

IMO, the grain flow in your stocks pistol grip area is not ideal.

No, quite so... but in a 303 cartridge and that big bolt going down the guts we figure it wont be an issue.

--------------------
www.huntaust.com.au

Gunnie
.224 member

#246608 - 28/04/14 10:43 PM

Time for an update.

The metalwork is being sent to Gordon as this is typed. I picked up an Anschutz folding 3-leaf rear site, which Allan will fit once the rifle comes back from Gordon.

Have ordered 60 cases from the USA, hope to have them in about 2mths.

Once the rifle comes back from Gordon, Allan will finish off by putting the rear site on, regulate the sites and blue the metalwork. Then it'll be in my hands for the final wood finishing.

While that's all boiling away, I'm looking to settle on what I'm going to do with a Martini-Henry large frame action.

--------------------

Deutsche_Vortrekker
.333 member

Reged: 27/04/08
Loc: From the Kalahari to the USA
      #246612 - 28/04/14 11:20 PM

Quote:

Which stock design did you go with? The original Slee pattern or the new one? I presume Gordon kept a copy of the one he made for me (he said he was going to). Consider sending the metalwork down to Gordon and get him to fit it for you.... he did an awesome job of fitting mine. The blanks came back to me fitted but unfinished - I still havent finished them - but I will!! Been getting the metalwork finished ... but the buffalo forend tip HAS been added!!!

Some people have told me that this is not very traditional... I dont care, it fits me like a glove.

Fantastic wood and pattern .does this fellow ship to the USA ?

peteblt
.224 member

Reged: 28/04/14
Loc: usa/canada
Re: A new project on a Lee Speed action [Re: Deutsche_Vortrekker]
      #246617 - 29/04/14 01:19 AM

Wow, what a fantastic piece of wood and a great project ! The only reasonable time frame stocks with this level of wood I have seen in the USA are from Richards in their old Classic model in the top grade English walnut that is, of course, not made for SMLEs.

Recall, now 2 decades ago, there was a fellow who came to the Syracuse (NY) gunshow every year with several dozen guns to sell. They were so "carried about" that the price tags were oil soaked. One was a Speed Lee in, as I recall, some 45 caliber round. It was a well worn, but well cared for with a fine bore. The price on the tag was $4500, and for all I know, he is still trucking it to gunshows.

Just found a new unissued Fazakerly No. 4 Mk 2 built for the Irish contact but never sent. Even has bayonet.
It won't get converted to anything but should be a fun shooter in the military renactment matches.

Gunnie
.224 member

Re: A new project on a Lee Speed action [Re: peteblt]
      #263766 - 18/04/15 06:07 PM

OK, update time. Got eh timber back from Gordon, simply beautiful and more or less the same as yours Matt. The fore-end is a tad different though as Gordon altered the profile to accommodate the heavier profile barrel. plus he added a grip cap and stock bolts.

The metalwork is back with Allan for the fitting of the sights and bluing. I have to drop the fore-end off to him so he can fit a front action screw spacer. I have to also source a stockbolt, which is in the process.

Next up will be getting a few rounds to Allan so he can test fire etc. This is where I'm having a few issues. Couldn't get the brass out of the US in short order or without issues. So I bought a box of 405Win brass with the intent of sizing down. That caused further problems as the 375 shell holder won't fit the 405W brass.

Chased up a shellholder and now need to look at sizing. Though, I have found the base diameter, rim diameter and thickness are all different to the Kynoch factory rounds I picked up from a cartridge collector.

So much question to the masses is : what alternate brass is closer in these measurements to enable me to make some 375 NE Fl 2.5"cases?

Kynock factory case:

Rim dia: 13.15mm
Rim thickness: 1.6mm
Base dia: 11.57mm
Case length: 63.25mm

I'm thinking a step up from say 9.3mm projectile based rimmed cartridges would be a smaller step than coming down from 10.3mm (405W)

Any ideas gents??? Advice, information, as always is greatly appreciated.

--------------------

Juglansregia
.275 member

Reged: 20/04/08
Loc: Tasmania
      #263779 - 18/04/15 08:06 PM

Gunnie, I'd fork out for Bertram brass and worry about another brass source down the track. 20-40 is all you need for now.

If you run foul of a stock bolt, let me know, I will loan you my spare one for a spell. You need the longer, waisted type, not an SMLE bolt. This is to give some extra strength in the grip, a result of not having to counterbore so far forward. Length varies a little but you should be right. Don't shoot it with no through bolt - damage may result.Worst case is thread up some silver steel both ends and use a nut and washer, or make the bolt. Surely one somewhere........

Keep the stock bolt tight!

The pattern has evolved a little from MG's first one, only in minor details. I have a sleeker version of it now also, as well as one with no cheekpiece. I'm all tuckered out from making patterns for the foreseeable future. Maybe I get a chance to cut one from the block for myself this year.

These old warhorses have me day-dreaming, a bloke should really make himself a scaled up action, big enough to take a .450-400 or similar. With a few spare mags, that would make one hell of a buffalo culling rifle eh?

Gunnie
.224 member

Re: A new project on a Lee Speed action [Re: Juglansregia]
      #277633 - 06/02/16 11:14 PM

Well folks, the rifle is finally back in my hands. All that remains is for me to finish off the wood work, being plenty of rubbing with loving care to fully bring the character of the wood out.

I'm still working on the ammo side of things but having trouble with dies. The FLS dies I have is, in my opinion, wrong! By that I mean that when I raise the press ram to full length size a case, the die will not fully enter the die body. At best, and with way too much force, get the case to about the half way mark. In trying to remove the case I have come close to ripping the rim off.

I'm near certain the die is not cut to the correct dimensions. So I've sent it back to the maker for him to resolve. He's is adamant the die is ok and the issue may be something else. Well, let's wait and see eh!

In the interim I have some Hornady 270gn projectiles to try and some 200gn JHP pills, maker unknown, that I think are for the 375Winchester Big Bore. These look a lot better in the cases.

I'm eternally grateful to the artisans who helped me along the way with this project. Gents I am in your debt, thank you.

Anyway, here are a few pics of the near end result. Enjoy.

--------------------

Igorrock
.400 member

Reged: 01/03/07
Loc: Finland
      #277635 - 06/02/16 11:24 PM

Nice rifle, indeed. It just need properly made checkerings.

--------------------
http://promaakari.wordpress.com/

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: A new project on a Lee Speed action [Re: Igorrock]
      #277643 - 07/02/16 05:00 AM

Gunnie - Nice rifle!!!!!!!!!!!
The Hornady 220gr. FN, also designed for the .375 Winchester doe a remarkable job on our Moose here. From my rifle, I was driving them with a relatively soft load at only 1,940fps yet the two moose I shot with these, died quickly. One lunged forwards 1 1/2 steps dropping dead, shot through both lungs, while the other staggered 4 steps and dropped. Both were a good 100yards away, wet went down very nicely.
They should do as well on Red Deer and Sambar.
The moose were not large though, the bull only a 1 1/2 years old, maybe 550lbs. to 600 pounds on the hoof, the cow - a bit heavier, maybe 700.
The bullet killed all out of proportion to it's size and weight.

Iowa_303s
.400 member

Reged: 22/03/13
Loc: Iowa, USA
Re: A new project on a Lee Speed action [Re: DarylS]
      #277653 - 07/02/16 03:14 PM

Good looking rifle Gunnie!
Very practical choice of caliber, in my opinion of course.
Daryl is correct about the Hornady 220 grain flat point working well. A freind of mine has used this bullet in his 375 Winchester for whitetailed deer and black bear with great results.

--------------------
Matt

formerly known as Iowa_303

"Once your reputation is ruined you can live your life quite freely."

"Enkelkinder über alles"

Edited by Iowa_303 (08/02/16 02:37 AM)

Gunnie
.224 member

Re: A new project on a Lee Speed action [Re: Iowa_303s]
      #277663 - 07/02/16 08:59 PM

Thanks gents. The calibre choice w as mainly due to already having several 303 rifles & aside from avoiding yet another "please explain" note from the licensing branch, I wanted something that was typical of the era & different.

I own a 9.3x62 & a 45-70 so this cartridge fills a slot in my heavy calibre holdings.

I'm now working on a Martini Cadet action 25-35 then the next custom project will be a large frame Martini in 405W.

With regards the Lee Speed 375, I am looking at using it for Big Game Rifle comp and the odd hunt. Possible game would be goat, pig & red deer in the local region. If per chance I head up to the Northern Territory I will take it & see how it goes against buffalo & scrub cattle.

--------------------

Bidgee
.375 member

Reged: 08/04/15
Loc: Northern Rivers, NSW
      #277669 - 08/02/16 04:34 AM

Looking good bloke!!!
I will be looking forward to seeing the stock when you have finished it.
I hope you have a win soon with the dies.

Cheers

Roy
.300 member

Reged: 06/09/15
Loc: New Mexico
Re: A new project on a Lee Speed action [Re: Bidgee]
      #277672 - 08/02/16 06:11 AM

Lovely project, well done.

And again - looking forward to the finished project.

Thanks for sharing.

Roy.

--------------------
My Website: www.wilkinsonfscollection.com

http://wilkinsonfscollection.com/wilkinsonfscollection.com/The_Lee-Speed_Rifle.html

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 10569

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com