Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: DWM M93 Boer "Plezier" to be sold

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
Brithunter
.300 member

Reged: 17/03/10
Loc: Lincolnshire, England
DWM M93 Boer "Plezier" to be sold
      #276640 - 16/01/16 02:08 PM

Hi All,

It is with great sadness that it has come to pass that most of my small rifle collection has to be desposed of including this original Boer Plezier rifle. The rifle is of course in the UK in storage at a dealers. I will get some photos of it as soon as possible to put up. This is the one with the nickle silver oval inlet into teh buttstock wihtt eh name J.P. DuPLessis Jnr engraved into it.

One thought is that the rifle will be entered into the March auction at Holts but a firm decision on that has not yet been made.

There will also be some collectable ammunition, mainly Kynoch, up for sale.

--------------------
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Gundog01
.333 member

Reged: 16/05/15
Loc: Ohio usa
Re: DWM M93 Boer "Plezier" to be sold [Re: Brithunter]
      #276642 - 16/01/16 02:26 PM

Post info on the gun, I'm interested.

Brithunter
.300 member

Re: DWM M93 Boer "Plezier" to be sold [Re: Gundog01]
      #277013 - 24/01/16 01:57 AM

Sorry for the time this has taken but access to the stored rifles is not as easy as one would like. So here are the photos that I took this morning:-

Square bolt botton of the M93.

The bead has rusted off the fore sight blade however I did manage to free up the adjuting screw so the fore sight does move for windage adjustment.

This the condition now after storage for 4 years so not touched for 4 years..

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #277024 - 24/01/16 08:19 AM

That would be a nice rifle to own!

Have you ever seen or heard of a "Kort-Net or Nek" 7x57 from the Boer days? Every now and then the ammo pops up - 7x57 with a very short neck - about 1/2 normal length. Why?- don't know and I don't know if there was a chambering to match. I recall many years ago, an article on that ammo in a G&A Annual - maybe in the late 60's to mid 70's.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Brithunter
.300 member

Re: DWM M93 Boer "Plezier" to be sold [Re: DarylS]
      #277028 - 24/01/16 09:27 AM

I actually have a couple of hundred original 173 grn R/N FMJ bullets for this rifle that was kindly sent to me by an old American friend who pulled them from rounds that the cases were all splitting from age. The headstamp date was 1897 if I recall correctly. I have vever seen any live rounds from this period.

When I got the rifle I did some research and somewhere there is a letter from the oer museum Blomfontein who tried to trace J.P DuPlessiss Jnr but it seems this was a common name and it could be any one of 13 such named persons. That is as far as we could get.

The rifle does shoot but it shoots high due to the bead being missing off the foresight. The bore is frosted again a lot to do with the poor care in the museum in Scotland that I was told it came from. I bought this rifle with two military M93's one an OVS marked rifle and a Carbine those two were sold some years back to replace the car after a nice man in a white van wrote it off for me (totalled it) Have since found that i still have the original carbine sling as it was fragile I put it safely in a biscuit tin intending to have a replicar made but that never happened. A lot of these Boer Mausers were brought back as trophys by regiments involved in The 2nd Boer War.

I do have Dr Besters book so have read about the short neck ammunition.

--------------------

Gundog01
.333 member

Reged: 16/05/15
Loc: Ohio usa
      #277045 - 24/01/16 03:32 PM

How much are you asking?

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: DWM M93 Boer "Plezier" to be sold [Re: Gundog01]
      #277055 - 24/01/16 11:47 PM

very nice rifle
sometimes ago I was seeing DWM 7x57 ammo from the 1930s in large amount on the site of an american dealer

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

Edited by lancaster (24/01/16 11:47 PM)

Brithunter
.300 member

Re: DWM M93 Boer "Plezier" to be sold [Re: lancaster]
      #277106 - 25/01/16 04:06 PM

As these rarely come up for sale I really have no idea as to what to ask so will make some enquiries and also find out about shipping and export permit as despite being an antique due to it beign a 7mm Mauser it is still under teh Section 1 of the Firearms Act and requires a FAC to possess which I no longer have and that is why it is in storage.

I hope that this is OK. When I bought the rifle the intention was never to sell but the storage costs are getting daft and it's been 4 years now in storage.

--------------------

Jim_C
.300 member

Reged: 09/08/14
Loc: USA
Re: DWM M93 Boer "Plezier" to be sold [Re: DarylS]
      #277158 - 26/01/16 12:57 PM

Quote:

Have you ever seen or heard of a "Kort-Net or Nek" 7x57 from the Boer days? Every now and then the ammo pops up - 7x57 with a very short neck - about 1/2 normal length. Why?- don't know and I don't know if there was a chambering to match.

If I remember right, Ludwig Loewe made those, from a large stash of 7.65x53 brass they had on hand. They were meant for use in the 7x57 chamber, but there were some problems (i.e., occasional blowups), suspected to have been due to the base of the steel-jacketed bullet upsetting in the unsupported area of the chamber, then fracturing at the cannelure with the base staying somewhere in the barrel. Predictably, the gun would blow on the next round fired.

I'm not sure I buy that explanation. I tried to duplicate the problem using original steel-jacketed bullets and short brass, but never had a bullet separate.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 39 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3507

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com