Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Baikal Rifle in 45/70 - yet another one

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
Nailcreek
.300 member

Reged: 13/08/08
Loc: Saukville, WI, USA
Baikal Rifle in 45/70 - yet another one
      #276352 - 10/01/16 11:57 AM

As I posted in a previous thread, I found one of the Baikals for sale via Cabelas in West Virginia ... for the sub-continent maharaja-ishly sum of $700. Wrapped in the original box, I doubt it's been fired. First impressions - wood to metal fit is ... well, "basic". The metal finishing seems workman-like and stolid. Wood figure isn't bad, and the checkering is "unique".

As we're in the middle of winter, I doubt I'll get to shoot it until a few months from now. I'll likely start with some low pressure factory 405g Remingtons, then see what it's like with BP Trapdoor loads. Should be a hoot ...

If I can get it relatively close, regulation-wise, I might throw a scope on it for fun.

I'll post some pictures later ....

--------------------
Veni, Vedici, Veggie ... I came, I saw, I had a salad.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
TonyD227
.300 member

Reged: 09/07/15
Loc: NSW Australia
Re: Baikal Rifle in 45/70 - yet another one [Re: Nailcreek]
      #276358 - 10/01/16 03:38 PM

I found 405gr cast projectiles and 13gr of Trail Boss a good light load in my Baikal.

That pushes around 1000ft/sec at 25,600 CUP (according to ADI loading manual).

I use the same load for fun in my Sabatti and it prints pretty well at 25m over the open sights.

--------------------
When to much recoil is just not enough.

crkennedy1
.375 member

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: Utah
      #276361 - 10/01/16 05:05 PM

Quote:

I'll post some pictures later ....

Looking forward to seeing your results!

--------------------
DOUBLE or NOTHING

Nailcreek
.300 member

Re: Baikal Rifle in 45/70 - yet another one [Re: crkennedy1]
      #276385 - 11/01/16 02:18 AM

So here goes ....

As mentioned, it's quite utilitarian. As I can't help myself from tinkering, if it does regulate well, I could see re-shaping the stock as there seems to be enough extra wood to go around. The metal finish is good enough for what it is, and as mentioned, I'll likely throw a scope on it - probably 2-7X or something relatively low power.

The triggers are "crunchy", if that's an apt descriptor. I have read that some owners end up soaking the action in penetrating oil, and that seems to help smooth the action and triggers.

As a break action, you will get some exercise in opening it up to load.

I'm really looking forward to getting it out on the range.

--------------------

Edited by Nailcreek (11/01/16 02:25 AM)

crshelton
.333 member

Reged: 10/11/15
Loc: Republic of Texas
      #276433 - 11/01/16 04:10 PM

Congrats and be sure to let us know how it shoots.

PS I recently saw a peep sight that slips right on that rail id you like peeps.

--------------------
CRS,NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/

Mauser416
.300 member

Reged: 20/06/07
Loc: Corpus Christi, Texas
      #276808 - 20/01/16 09:06 AM

Congrats Nailcreek.

Folks like to complain about the Baikal double rifles but they always seem to get snapped up shortly after becoming available. I've tried to find one but always seem to be a few minutes late.

Let us know how she shoots and whatever work you do to her to get her the way you like.

Some folks have mentioned that he stock soaks up oil and swells which in some cases has caused trigger issues as you noted. From what I have read most owners would agree that in general the triggers need a little work to get them where they need to be.

Eric

--------------------
There is nothing worse in this world than an enslaved man who naively believes himself free, except, perhaps, trying to explain to that same man his predicament.

Edited by Mauser416 (21/01/16 01:23 PM)

AbitNutz
.275 member

Reged: 02/09/12
Loc: Ohio, USA
Re: Baikal Rifle in 45/70 - yet another one [Re: Mauser416]
      #276877 - 21/01/16 09:36 AM

I've got mine after a bit of a search. The sights leave much to be desired but there is a quick and easy remedy. Skinner makes a ghost ring sight that slips right over the quarter rib and works terrific. The front sight is too small and dark...but it is the same screw in post as the AK-47. KNS makes more than a few sights and I picked up one that is a ring with cross hairs. The sight picture with the two sights is wonderful. The sights make it so easy to pick up on a target and put it right on it. It turns a big bore double in to a plinker the way you can throw lead so easily and quickly.

zgunbear
.224 member

Reged: 25/06/15
Loc: Spring Hill, TN USA
Re: Baikal Rifle in 45/70 - yet another one [Re: AbitNutz]
      #276920 - 22/01/16 04:58 AM

Williams makes a 22 peep sight yhat gits on the dovetail. It is aluminium but works it holds zero
True it is not as pretty as the skinner but costS less

--------------------
I have a 30-06 and a 45-70 side by side rifle by Baikal. I also modified a 12 gauge side by side into a slug gun. My problem has always been champagne and caviar tastes on a generic diet coke and fritos budget.

prof242
.275 member

Reged: 10/02/04
Loc: Colorado, USA
Re: Baikal Rifle in 45/70 - yet another one [Re: zgunbear]
      #277005 - 23/01/16 05:29 PM

Which of the Williams .22 peep sights fit the Baikal double rifle? I saw about five different Williams peep sights. Also, for the front post, does the .072 seem to be the best, or should the one that is about half that width be used?

As to other work, I'm trying to find some computer files on work I did, or had done, to my Baikal. As soon as found (if?), I will post them here. The wood on my is not so much figured, but big differences in grain coloration. Welded metal on the triggers's tips, then reshaped. They were also bent back a bit giving extra room so that my knuckle would not be hit by the back of the trigger guard. Trigger springs were replaced. Sears were honed and polished to improve the trigger pull. I'm left-handed so I shoot the rear trigger first, then the forward trigger. Works for me. Any other lefty will have to try it themselves.
The opening of the action was a problem, but got that worked out for a full opening and extraction.

--------------------
Politically correct = morally wrong

Nailcreek
.300 member

Re: Baikal Rifle in 45/70 - yet another one [Re: prof242]
      #277030 - 24/01/16 09:52 AM

I've a Burris 2X7 scope on medium height mounts that I'm going to try on it. I'd like to keep the irons available and it seems that the scope will clear the back sight. Waiting for warmer weather ....

--------------------

AbitNutz
.275 member

Reged: 02/09/12
Loc: Ohio, USA
      #277171 - 26/01/16 11:24 PM

I hope you have better luck than the poor scope that was mounted on mine when I got it. It's a 7lb rifle that shoots a big bore round. Admittedly, I shoot heavy loads and it's a very low end scope but I don't believe it was supposed to rattle.

zgunbear
.224 member

Reged: 25/06/15
Loc: Spring Hill, TN USA
Re: Baikal Rifle in 45/70 - yet another one [Re: AbitNutz]
      #277208 - 27/01/16 09:59 AM

I don't remember but i think it's the wgrs54. I will check notes note at home. I will try to add a picture of it. I did have to file the sight dovetail slightly to get it on the rail and get a longer set screw for it but i am happy with it.

--------------------
I have a 30-06 and a 45-70 side by side rifle by Baikal. I also modified a 12 gauge side by side into a slug gun. My problem has always been champagne and caviar tastes on a generic diet coke and fritos budget.

prof242
.275 member

Reged: 10/02/04
Loc: Colorado, USA
Re: Baikal Rifle in 45/70 - yet another one [Re: zgunbear]
      #277227 - 27/01/16 03:38 PM

Thanks for the info. I'll wait until I see your info. That peep ought to be a neat add-on.

--------------------
Politically correct = morally wrong

Birdhunter50
.375 member

Reged: 03/06/07
Loc: Iowa,U.S.A.
Re: Baikal Rifle in 45/70 - yet another one [Re: prof242]
      #277235 - 28/01/16 01:11 AM

Nailcreek,
The first thing you need to do is to either disassemble it and fix the triggers or have a good gunsmith do it for you. The Russians don't waste any time cleaning up burrs or polishing the internal parts. This is to be expected on a cheaper gun such as these. If you get the triggers down to around four pounds of pull weight, that will go a long way towards making the gun shoot better for you.
Forget soaking it in anything, do the work on it and then it will stay, as you have actually fixed the problem. This needs to be done before regulating or anything else. It is nearly impossible to regulate a gun with terrible triggers.
I know about this because my Baikal had triggers that pulled at almost the same weight as the gun. I took a chance and opened it up and filed off all the burrs and polished the bearing surfaces and put it all back together again. Here's a hint, if you do this yourself, work on a large piece of cardboard or other real clean surface, and pay close attention to what goes where and how the parts fit to each other. You can do it if you're careful. Bob

brandoninaz
.224 member

Reged: 22/02/10
Loc: SC
Re: Baikal Rifle in 45/70 - yet another one [Re: Birdhunter50]
      #278918 - 07/03/16 07:51 AM

I decided to take a chance on a pair of these rifles a few weeks back; .45-70 and .30-06. I didn't have high expectations, but the prices were pretty good, so I went for it.

Time has been a hot commodity for me, so today was the first chance I had to shoot them. I was only able to make it to the indoor range (25 yards), so I brought along my Baikal .45-70 with some of my light plinking loads; ~360 grain RanchDog gas-checked cast bullet over 12.0 grains of Unique. The load is probably in the 1050-1200 fps range. It's a fun and accurate load for everyone to shoot, and you can fire it all day and not get worn out.

You can see my results in the image below. Left target/left barrel, right target/right barrel, and then I shot a couple pairs at the center target. I expected I would have to tinker with the rifle to get it to give me even a semblance of regulation. I was pleasantly surprised how well the rifle did, despite my mediocre offhand shooting abilities. It will be interesting to see how the rifle performs at 50-100 yards. In time I will explore adding a Skinner peep, and possible a new front sight. If the .30-06 performs well, it will get a low power scope.

I hope I'm not hijacking your thread. Wanted to add some more Baikal information to the forum, but keep the information somewhat consolidated for those interested.

-Brandon

brandoninaz
.224 member

Re: Baikal Rifle in 45/70 - yet another one [Re: brandoninaz]
      #278919 - 07/03/16 07:55 AM

Nailcreek,

How is the forearm to barrel fit on your rifle? I found mine to be quite sloppy with the barrels off the action. However, once the barrels are on the action, the action seems to hold the forearm reasonable solid.

-Brandon

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Baikal Rifle in 45/70 - yet another one [Re: brandoninaz]
      #278920 - 07/03/16 09:59 AM

brandoninaz - appears to me the regulation is about perfect for that load. The only adjustment needed, is to move the centre of the groups to the right about 3/4" so the individual barrels bracket the point of aim - orange dot - thus the barrels will be shooting "centre" - ie: bore axis width apart, which is perfect as far as I can see.

As long as the barrels are grouping with each bl.'s group centred bore axis apart, they will ALWAYS remain bore axis apart, never crossing nor diverging, thus express sights can be regulated for longer ranges than point blank, and the gun's accuracy or ability to shoot to the sights will comply.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

brandoninaz
.224 member

Re: Baikal Rifle in 45/70 - yet another one [Re: DarylS]
      #278922 - 07/03/16 12:06 PM

Daryl,

I shifted the sights over for subsequent groups after those pictures were taken, and got the groups centered.

My hope is that you're right with the groups remaining parallel. Some 50 yard shooting should confirm that. I feel like 25 yards is probably a little to close to definitively say that perfection has been reached. I've got my fingers crossed though.

-Brandon

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 84 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7206

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com