Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Baikal Double Rifle in 45/70 obtained!

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
AbitNutz
.275 member

Reged: 02/09/12
Loc: Ohio, USA
Baikal Double Rifle in 45/70 obtained!
      #275984 - 02/01/16 08:59 PM

I just had to have one of these and finally chased one down a few days ago. My deepest apologias to the owners of this rifle for referring to it as a farm implement. They were/are clearly smarter than I a regarding this rifle.

The one I have is "as new" and is really nicely done. The wood is ok, nothing spectacular but certainly more than presentable. The fit and finish are easily as good and usually better than, anything even close to its price range.

I do have one gripe in the vain of "Why in Gods name did they do that?!", the front sight.

The adjustable for elevation front sight is a great idea but making it out of bright orange plastic is not. I realize that it is wholly practicle being something akin to an assault rifle style. However I would really have preferred they do it another way or at least out of metal. I may search for a cure to this...I'll probably have to live with it but it lessens the rifle.

I know why these things aren't shot much. When I bought it the owner immediately offered advice on shooting it, which he did exactly twice, "Hang on to it!".

I guess I shouldn't forget that it is a 7lb rifle in, what can be, a heavy recoiling caliber. The previous owner had shot a couple of rounds Hornady Leverevolution ammo...which is pretty energetic.

I guess he got all the double rifle experience he wanted and decided to pass the rifle on. Fortunately, I am not at all recoil sensitive...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
TonyD227
.300 member

Reged: 09/07/15
Loc: NSW Australia
Re: Baikal Double Rifle in 45/70 obtained! [Re: AbitNutz]
      #276009 - 03/01/16 08:28 AM

When I fired the Leverevolution ammo thru mine I was black and blue from the shoulder to my bicep

I told the guy at the range I was hurting and he called me a wimp, gauntlet thrown. I bought a pack of 400gr Remington's and fired them there and then. It was almost a relief to fire the 400's in comparison to the Leverevolutions

The only other issue I found is that the barrels heat up quickly when using standard loads. I made a 405gr with 13gr of Trail Boss load and you could fire a shed load before it got to hot to hold.

My Baikal was a bit problematic but I think I may have just been unlucky, I am sure you will have a ball with yours.

--------------------
When to much recoil is just not enough.

crkennedy1
.375 member

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: Utah
Re: Baikal Double Rifle in 45/70 obtained! [Re: TonyD227]
      #276020 - 03/01/16 10:57 AM

Not sure what you're talking about regarding the bright orange front sight. Any that I've ever seen (and I own a couple) are standard black... Of course mine are branded Remington.

--------------------
DOUBLE or NOTHING

AbitNutz
.275 member

Re: Baikal Double Rifle in 45/70 obtained! [Re: crkennedy1]
      #276027 - 03/01/16 02:14 PM

Quote:

Not sure what you're talking about regarding the bright orange front sight. Any that I've ever seen (and I own a couple) are standard black... Of course mine are branded Remington.

Ah, sorry you never had first hand experience with the orange piece of chewing gum.

As you can see, it is a wonderful eyesore. I believe this may have been Remington's crack team of accountants contribution. Yes, mine also has Remington's script along the side. The harsh flash does nothing to help the looks of this rifle. It's actually very nice.

The previous owner had screwed the orange blob all the way down to where it was completely flush with the threaded recess. I believe there is ample evidence that he did this with his teeth.

I didn't know they'd ever had a steal sight so I went on to EAA's website and was able to order a new front sight. At least I would have a new piece of orange plastic flotsam. It arrived today and low and behold...it's blued steal! I checked the website again and the front sights show "sold out". It may be I have the last steal Remington/Bakail front sight in the free world.

I'm also going to try out Skinner's aperture sights. They're adjustable for both windage and elevation. Just in case you've never seen one of these either, here's a nice pic.

crkennedy1
.375 member

#276028 - 03/01/16 02:47 PM

So sorry for your misfortune! You are right, the "orange blob" is an eye sore. The Skinner's aperture is interesting, I've never seen that before - you'll have to let me know what you think after you've tried it out.

Here's hoping you get everything working to your satisfaction!

--------------------
DOUBLE or NOTHING

AbitNutz
.275 member

#276029 - 03/01/16 03:14 PM

I'll get this worked out to my sanctification or Putin will pay! If the Mexicans can pay for a wall, Putin can pay for a sight.

(Donald Trump after filming "The Russian Apprentice".)

crkennedy1
.375 member

#276030 - 03/01/16 05:22 PM

--------------------
DOUBLE or NOTHING

AZDAVE
.275 member

Reged: 12/02/09
Loc: Arizona, USA
      #278486 - 26/02/16 12:57 PM

If the front sight is like the original remingtons just go get the front sight off a russian sks and it will screw in where the blob is currently

TonyD227
.300 member

Reged: 09/07/15
Loc: NSW Australia
      #279926 - 27/03/16 08:57 PM

Quote:

I'll get this worked out to my sanctification or Putin will pay! If the Mexicans can pay for a wall, Putin can pay for a sight.

(Donald Trump after filming "The Russian Apprentice".)

Have you got/tried the skinner?

My Sabatti has the 11mm rail as well and the fluro fibre optic front sight on it at the moment just doesn't sit right with me and I was thinking of the Skinner rear and a new post.

I would be interested to hear if it worked for you.

--------------------
When to much recoil is just not enough.

sharps4590
.333 member

Reged: 09/03/16
Loc: Missouri Ozarks
Re: Baikal Double Rifle in 45/70 obtained! [Re: TonyD227]
      #279929 - 27/03/16 11:03 PM

Boy....I couldn't agree more. That orange thing is an abomination!!! Glad you found a replacement. How does it shoot/regulate?

--------------------
Jesus said, "I am the way the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John14:6

Gnarly
.224 member

Reged: 21/11/11
Loc: British Columbia Canada
Re: Baikal Double Rifle in 45/70 obtained! [Re: sharps4590]
      #281068 - 17/04/16 12:22 PM

Ive got one with the factory black front site and a skinner rear peep site, with the screw in insert removed it makes a great ghost ring sight and is far superior in every way to the stock rear sight. I've also removed the safety connector that re sets it to safe every time the rifle is broken open and with my 350 cgc load over 16.5 grains of unique for 1330 fps it shoots extremely well for a 700.00 double and is a whole pile of fun to boot.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Baikal Double Rifle in 45/70 obtained! [Re: Gnarly]
      #281070 - 17/04/16 12:44 PM

Gnarly - I suggest you pick up a Hodgdon Annual Manual, if you already don't have one, that is. The .45/70 loads (& all others) in there are wonderful and include pressure data.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Gnarly
.224 member

Reged: 21/11/11
Loc: British Columbia Canada
Re: Baikal Double Rifle in 45/70 obtained! [Re: DarylS]
      #281092 - 18/04/16 01:19 AM

Daryl,
I'll have to have a look for the Hodgdon manual as I am thoroughly enjoying loading and messing around with the Baikal, so much so that I'm buying one in 30-06 today to use as a cast bullet gun as well. The nice thing about the 1300 fps cast load in the 45/70 is its easy on the ears, shoulder and pocketbook and shoots both barrels into 1.5-2 inches regularly at 60 yds.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Baikal Double Rifle in 45/70 obtained! [Re: Gnarly]
      #281099 - 18/04/16 02:41 AM

Sounds great,however I am very leary over loads of unique in the .45/70. Nasty to ring a chamber, it would be, said Oda.

The Trail Boss and 5744 loads would be my direction for reduced velocity loads.
56744 is capable of loading to over BP ballistics or wherever you want them.

The idea of a .30/06 cast bullet DR sounds fun.

With cast bullets the intent, you might want to pick up a tub of JB Compound and really polish up the throat with it. Auto-Sol or Flitz will be the same thing.

A cast bullet, lubed and gas checked that just fits the fired case, might give you the best accuracy.
My late cousin Ed. used a .308 as his match rifle for decades- using cast bullets sized to .311". Eddie did very well with it & that rifle easily grouped an inch at 100 yards with his loads.

Deprime, re-prime, dump powder and seat a bullet.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 63 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5277

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com