Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Making Shoe Lump From Shotgun Barrels ?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Building Double Rifles & Gunsmithing

Pages: 1
Sarg
.400 member

Reged: 20/01/07
Loc: Nil
Making Shoe Lump From Shotgun Barrels ?
      #275297 - 19/12/15 09:08 AM

When making a set of rifle barrels is it possible or practical to machine the bottom plate with the lugs off the shotgun barrels to use as a shoe lump, I like the idea of shoe lumps on a conversion as it can add weight near the action, looks more like a double rifle with the straight chamber section & there is no visible or near visible join ?

I recently bought a Greener Empire, a Army & Navy with a Dolls head top fastener & have a Brno side lock lined up, really wanted a Westely Richards Pigeon gun or Wild Fowler with blowen barrels, but just haven't found one yet .

Im looking at getting a .577 of some type done by the way .

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Birdhunter50
.375 member

Reged: 03/06/07
Loc: Iowa,U.S.A.
Re: Making Shoe Lump From Shotgun Barrels ? [Re: Sarg]
      #275307 - 19/12/15 11:50 AM

I understand your motivation to do a shoe lump construction but I am afraid you will run out of room between the barrels and the shoe lump, plus, unless you have made one before it would be quite an undertaking to get into without previous experience. I have a friend who is doing one right now from scratch and he encountered all kinds of problems. He is an experienced double gun man, but it was a chore for him, even with all his experience. I'm not telling you it can't be done, but I do think it would be very difficult, especially if you are building a .577 or bigger rifle. If you decide to go ahead with your plan, contact me and I will put you in touch with him. I'm sure he would be interested in talking it over with you. Bob

Sarg
.400 member

Re: Making Shoe Lump From Shotgun Barrels ? [Re: Birdhunter50]
      #275412 - 20/12/15 09:37 PM

Thank you Birdhunter, I was thinking of using the actual bottom plate & lumps off the shotgun barrels by milling them off, I have seen how they are fitted with slight recessing into the barrel bottoms, making up a shoe lump from scratch is way out of my skill set, really a barrel set build is to !

To me only the .577 or 12bore rifle are worth building on a 12Ga shotgun frame .

I still have a C&H 8 bore action & 2 new barrels waiting to be put together, only been with the gunsmith for 5yrs !

VonGruff
.400 member

Reged: 08/02/09
Loc: South Otago, New Zealand.
      #275424 - 21/12/15 08:53 AM

Sarg, have you spoken to Hugh Bradley at Stager Sport in Alexandra. He has done double rifles.

--------------------
Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Birdhunter50
.375 member

Reged: 03/06/07
Loc: Iowa,U.S.A.
      #275437 - 22/12/15 12:59 AM

Sarg,
I talked to my friend about the shoe lump he is making from scratch and there are a couple of the other problems besides the fitting in of the lump to the underside of the barrels. He is doing a 38-55 on a 12 gauge frame, by the way. He first said that you will have trouble maintaining enough material between the barrel section and the extractor hole, above and between the barrels. If you could manage to do it, your firing pin holes will be off center. He had to lower the barrel stubs and move them from side to side in order to get the firing pins centered. He also built a trial shoe lump just to make sure of the barrel alignment before brazing the actual one to the barrels.
The best way to get a .577 build is to do one on a 10 gauge 3 1/2 inch frame. I have done two of them on these frames by using the monoblock method, they don't taper too much for one thing and they give you enough "meat" to get the barrels and the gun balanced properly. A 12 gauge frame is too small for building a full .577 on. If you are interested I can build you one on the monoblock system that will work correctly and be balanced properly but I don't know what would be involved in getting it shipped to you, it might be impossible to do.
On the .577's and .600's, weight is your friend. Tell me more about your barrels, what size are they and have they been chambered yet? The brand really doesn't matter that much but it would be nice to know if they have been contoured and how much they weigh. Bob

Edited by Birdhunter50 (22/12/15 01:08 AM)

Sarg
.400 member

Re: Making Shoe Lump From Shotgun Barrels ? [Re: VonGruff]
      #275451 - 22/12/15 07:18 AM

I didnt know that VonGruff, thank you for the info !

Sarg
.400 member

Re: Making Shoe Lump From Shotgun Barrels ? [Re: Birdhunter50]
      #275452 - 22/12/15 07:30 AM

Great info & offer Birdhunter, in the past I was asking ever one I could find if they could put a .577 together for me & in those days it was easy to ship out of the US, a different story since 2008 !

I will PM you on this subject .

VonGruff
.400 member

Reged: 08/02/09
Loc: South Otago, New Zealand.
      #275468 - 22/12/15 04:31 PM

Quote:

I didnt know that VonGruff, thank you for the info !

He also makes his own barrels and actions. Well worth a phone call for a yarn about what he can offer.

--------------------
Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 41 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1948

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com