Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Greener-Martini in 45/70

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Pages: 1
AbitNutz
.275 member

Reged: 02/09/12
Loc: Ohio, USA
Greener-Martini in 45/70
      #275208 - 18/12/15 12:32 AM

I just picked up a Greener-Martini in 45/70. I understand that this started life as a shotgun and was morphed in to a rifle by Nay-Arms. The wood is plain no fix for that at anything like a reasonable cost. Maybe it would look better if I refinished it in a darker coloring.

It has a really nice color case hardened frame/receiver and a heavy 26 inch octagon barrel. The bore is excellent, bright and clear. The trigger isn't horrible but I think I could improve it by polishing things up s a bit.

For whatever reason, Navy Arms removed the head off the cocking indicator. All that exits on the right side is the polished off almost flush end of the shaft. I want to get the cocking indicator back. I found one for the Greener-Martini shotgun. I hope it works out. If it doesn't, does anyone know if a Martini-Henry cocking indicator will work? I suspect it won't due to the Greener being a larger action all around.

Lastly...sights. They just sick. The barrel has a pair of what looks like, 3/8th's dovetails milled in. The front should be no problem. There are all kinds of options I can go with. It's the rear that I'm having trouble with. I would really like some sort of tang sight in the back but there is no metal tang to mount it to. I'm not crazy about the idea of mounting it in the wood.

Any reasonable ideas for whatever kind of rear sight that you learned and imaginative folks might have?

This is a really, really cool rifle. I just love the way the action works.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Greener-Martini in 45/70 [Re: AbitNutz]
      #275215 - 18/12/15 03:23 AM

Here ya go - I have one on back order at Brownells, for my 1876 .50/95 Express.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/sights/rear-sights/m-95-long-range-sight-prod18599.aspx

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: Greener-Martini in 45/70 [Re: DarylS]
      #275234 - 18/12/15 11:39 AM

Nutz:
Don't be afraid to mount a tang sight on the wood.
This was routine for small-bore competition back in the day, up to Olympic standard, and some incredibly tiny groups were shot that way.

The Greener tang sight would be "pukka" and they do come up for sale occasionally but are rarely offered complete with the aperture disc. The Parker Hale and BSA versions are fairly common however, especially in the UK.

Check this website for more information.

I should add that the base for the PH and BSA sights will most often have a concave underside contoured for the smaller Cadet rifle. A little filing may be necessary to fit it snugly to the full-size MH wrist, although a bed of stiff epoxy bog will do the same job and can be made to look invisible if darkened correctly.

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

Edited by Marrakai (18/12/15 11:44 AM)

kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
Re: Greener-Martini in 45/70 [Re: Marrakai]
      #275260 - 18/12/15 11:45 PM

My own solution: An old Parker tang peep sight. Front end shortened and shaped to the action. Fastened with a screw from below and soft soldered to the action's butt socket. Rear end screwed to the wood, rather unnecessary. Should work similar with any other tang sight.

AbitNutz
.275 member

Reged: 02/09/12
Loc: Ohio, USA
Re: Greener-Martini in 45/70 [Re: kuduae]
      #275731 - 29/12/15 03:29 AM

That is an incredibly clean setup. I was worried about drilling and tapping that part of the rifle but it appears that's not going to be a problem. I can't silver solder the mount but one screw in the metal and one in the wood looks like it should do it.

Unfortunately, I only have Marbles mounts/sights to work with.

FrankS
.300 member

Reged: 06/10/08
Loc: New Iberia Louisiana
Re: Greener-Martini in 45/70 [Re: AbitNutz]
      #276364 - 10/01/16 07:02 PM

Make a base for your choice of sight and drill and tap it for the required screws. Inlet said base into the stock in back of the tang. once you get the inletting the way you like it either use acra glass gel as it can be colored or use a 24 hour two part epoxy The epoxy should have the necessary strength to hold the plate in place. Frank

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 31 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4643

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com