Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Mauser type A question.

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
Gundog01
.333 member

Reged: 16/05/15
Loc: Ohio usa
Mauser type A question.
      #274687 - 07/12/15 05:31 AM

I am looking to buy a Mauser type A, they are very rare so I can not be too picky, I have found one for sale semi locally and from a really great dealer, his has a rounded "prince of Wales" style grip and what appear to be Germanic engraved "stock pins" or "stock re-enforcement" screws/device near the front of the horn cap. They are very high quality and look factory, but I am unaware of any rifles leaving the factory as such. When I asked the dealer he was unfamiliar with it too and he is a stand up guy. Anyone see this before? Also, if anyone knows of a type A for sale on the market let me know please!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
pjaln
.375 member

Reged: 08/06/06
Loc: massachusetts ,U.S.A.
Re: Mauser type A question. [Re: Gundog01]
      #274698 - 07/12/15 10:36 AM

does the dealer have a web site with pics ??....paul

Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
Re: Mauser type A question. [Re: pjaln]
      #274701 - 07/12/15 01:22 PM

I have never seen a crossbolt behind the sling swivel originally fit to any Mauser sporter and I have never seen a true TypeA with a rounded grip. I would venture that the mods on this particular rifle preclude it from being a true TypeA at all.
Sounds like something that will require more investigation.
In my experience, only the high grade original Oberndorf Mausers demand premium prices, TypeA's being at the top of the market.
Can you share pictures or a link to the rifle in question so we can see what you are talking about?

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

Gundog01
.333 member

Re: Mauser type A question. [Re: Huvius]
      #274702 - 07/12/15 02:07 PM

Sorry for the delay, my iPad did not want to copy/paste.

http://www.fivehundredguns.com/2112-02.jpg

eagle27
.400 member

Reged: 24/01/09
Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
      #274703 - 07/12/15 04:14 PM

Front ramp with a pinned blade (?) looks different, barrel hanger looks like an after market one, fore-end different and no chequering, and a stepped ring action which I don't think was used for the Oberndorf sporters.

Couple of photos of a Type A Pattern No 1 for comparison.

Gundog01
.333 member

Re: Mauser type A question. [Re: eagle27]
      #274713 - 08/12/15 03:15 AM

It's been refinshed, so,I wonder if it's just an English made mauser that had its marks covered up,when it was refinshed.mits a very good looking mauser.

kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
Re: Mauser type A question. [Re: eagle27]
      #274714 - 08/12/15 03:31 AM

Not an A-type nor any other Original Mauser, Oberndorf commercial rifle any more, as it is now. Most likely put together quite recently from mostly old parts. The stock is not Oberndorf, but rather Suhl/Zella-Mehlis style. Such cross keys in foreend usually came with half-octagon, ribbed barrels. There is no sense with the round barrel. The open sights are modern, non-German. The scope is attached with a 1920 ex - Reichswehr (Versailles treaty 100 000 men army)sniper mount. These were surplused and sold off about 1930. There is no stepped receiver ring. What you see is the flange of the barrel, in front of the receiver ring. Here in Germany such a pasticchio would be about Euro 500.- at best.

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
      #274715 - 08/12/15 03:51 AM

Quote:

his has ....what appear to be Germanic engraved "stock pins" or "stock re-enforcement" screws/device near the front of the horn cap. They are very high quality and look factory, but I am unaware of any rifles leaving the factory as such. When I asked the dealer he was unfamiliar with it too and he is a stand up guy. Anyone see this before? Also, if anyone knows of a type A for sale on the market let me know please!

The "stock pins" are wedges, originally used on muzzle loading rifles to secure the barrel to the stock. Some German gunsmiths, for reasons best known to themselves, put them on modern rifles evidently for decoration. They serve no useful purpose that I am aware of.

I don't believe that the receiver ring is stepped. I think what appears to be the front of the receiver ring is actually part of the barrel. I have only seen stepped receiver rings on slant box Magnum actions, like this one, intended for the 400/350 Rigby cartridge.

Neither the barrel nor the stock appear to be factory. The front ramp appears to be a Williams.

Gundog01
.333 member

Re: Mauser type A question. [Re: kuduae]
      #274719 - 08/12/15 04:36 AM

Quote:

Not an A-type nor any other Original Mauser, Oberndorf commercial rifle any more, as it is now. Most likely put together quite recently from mostly old parts. The stock is not Oberndorf, but rather Suhl/Zella-Mehlis style. Such cross keys in foreend usually came with half-octagon, ribbed barrels. There is no sense with the round barrel. The open sights are modern, non-German. The scope is attached with a 1920 ex - Reichswehr (Versailles treaty 100 000 men army)sniper mount. These were surplused and sold off about 1930. There is no stepped receiver ring. What you see is the flange of the barrel, in front of the receiver ring. Here in Germany such a pasticchio would be about Euro 500.- at best.

Thank you for that, it defiantly had the appearance of an assembled rifle.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 34 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2689

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com