Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Price for new "Vintage Model" Rigby 416 beyond Rediculous!

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
ColoradoMatt1
.300 member

Reged: 01/01/14
Loc: Northern Colorado
Price for new "Vintage Model" Rigby 416 beyond Rediculous!
      #271914 - 21/10/15 04:02 PM

Gents,

A couple weeks ago, NitoX posted some pictures of a newly made "Vintage Model" 416 in the Mauser Forum Photos and Archive. With the exception of not having a stripper clip slot in front of the single square bridge, this rifle is a dead ringer for a pre-war #5 model 416 Big Game rifle. Now, Rigby's hideous (In my opinion) standard models are being offered, here in the U.S., for about $15,000. The new Vintage model got me quite excited, so I contacted Rigby. The price list I was given today reveals that the Vintage model starts at $30,000! So, a traditional Mauser thumb cut-out in the left receiver wall, a lower grade wood stock with no cheek piece, and wrap around checkering, doubles the price?!!! I was very cordial in my response to my contact at Rigby, indicating that a vintage model is well beyond my means.
Matt

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
jvw
.300 member

Reged: 15/05/08
Loc: Australia
Re: Price for new "Vintage Model" Rigby 416 beyond Rediculous! [Re: ColoradoMatt1]
      #271920 - 21/10/15 05:59 PM

It is indeed a chunk of cash but it is less expensive than what any of the other London makers would have charged you for a similar rifle. Having seen newly-made examples of just about all the "name" British makers recently, including a few so-called "Centenary" models from H&H, I can assure you that the Vintage and London Best Rigby's are a cut above the res, quality-wise.

In years to come, the fact that the Rigby name is on the barrel will also help the rifle to appreciate in value.

Labour, rent and the general cost of living is expensive in London, as are newly-made Magnum Mauser actions. That accounts for a huge chunk of the price.

You cannot compare Rigby prices with those charged by US custom makers. They operate in separate universes. We don't have to like it, but it's a fact.

And the Vintage model is not the same gun as the Big Game, by the way. It is handmade whereas the Big Game is largely machine-made.

ColoradoMatt1
.300 member

Re: Price for new "Vintage Model" Rigby 416 beyond Rediculous! [Re: jvw]
      #271922 - 21/10/15 11:09 PM

I would be perfectly happy with a "largely machine made" Vintage Model, and I am not insulted by the idea of a pantographed stock (as if anyone can tell the difference). The difference in price is completely obsurd. Perhaps they could keep the London Best reserved for the Jet Setters, but make the vintage model working rifle within reach of working class, such as myself. As it stands, a Vintage model clone, based on a single square bridge FZH action, looks to be in my future. It will be of at least equal quality, and almost indistinguishable from a Pre-war lightweight Rigby, aside from the Rigby Barrel address, and Oberndorf Mauser provenance. I am pleased that Rigby has returned to England, and I certainly wish Rigby all the best, but I can not justify paying what they ask. For what they are asking, a pre-war rifle could be acquired.
Matt

Wanabebwana
.300 member

Reged: 11/01/13
Loc: Canada
Re: Price for new "Vintage Model" Rigby 416 beyond Rediculous! [Re: ColoradoMatt1]
      #271953 - 22/10/15 02:37 PM

Only 169 Original pre-war Rigby .416s were ever produced on Mauser made Magnum actions.
They are collectors items and that's why they command the "ridiculous" prices.
The new Rigbys are made with actions made by Golmatic in Germany. The same action used by Mauser and stamped Mauser 98 Magnum, Made in Germany, on the left receiver wall. Mauser does not manufacture any 98 actions presently.

ColoradoMatt1
.300 member

Re: Price for new "Vintage Model" Rigby 416 beyond Rediculous! [Re: Wanabebwana]
      #271954 - 22/10/15 02:53 PM

Quote:

Only 169 Original pre-war Rigby .416s were ever produced on Mauser made Magnum actions.
They are collectors items and that's why they command the "ridiculous" prices.
The new Rigbys are made with actions made by Golmatic in Germany. The same action used by Mauser and stamped Mauser 98 Magnum, Made in Germany, on the left receiver wall. Mauser does not manufacture any 98 actions presently.

I am referring to newly made "vintage model" rifles made by Rigby that closely resemble pre-war model #5 416's. These are what I'm referring to as being overpriced, not the original rifles. This is a model that Rigby now makes (Along with the London Best) as a much higher priced alternative to their two standard offerings in 416. I understand that since Blaser bought the Mauser name, and all that entails, they have set up a shop making their own Mauser actions, which are used on both Mauser brand 98 rifles and Rigby 416's. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Matt

Edited by ColoradoMatt1 (22/10/15 11:53 PM)

Wanabebwana
.300 member

#271984 - 23/10/15 01:05 PM

This is the .416 Rigby is offering presently.

http://www.johnrigbyandco.com/the-big-game.html

They are using only the Golmatic German action stamped Mauser 98 Magnum on the left wall. Mauser does not manufacture actions. There are three different flooplate depths depending on cartridge (up to .505 Gibbs).

http://www.mauser.com/en/products/m98/m98magnum/

This is the same action used by Prechtl.

http://prechtl-waffen.de/Prechtl/en/Rifl...8_magnum_action

Edited by Wanabebwana (23/10/15 01:10 PM)

ColoradoMatt1
.300 member

Re: Price for new "Vintage Model" Rigby 416 beyond Rediculous [Re: Wanabebwana]
      #271992 - 23/10/15 04:16 PM

I found the article I got my info from. It is dated April 2013. It says that Blaser was in the process of building a facility in which they will build their own actions. I can't say with certainty that Mauser has started Mauser action production, but it seems they have had plenty of time since this announcement to have production under way! It is true that Mauser has been using Prechtl action for a number of years. However, things have changed, or are going to change very soon:

"Blaser is in the process of building a new factory just for Mauser, in the Blaser complex, and there they will begin making genuine Mauser 98 actions. Mauser will supply barreled actions to Rigby in London, where they will be stocked, proofed and finished."

Matt

http://huntforever.org/2013/04/09/rigby-mauser-together-again/

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Price for new "Vintage Model" Rigby 416 [Re: ColoradoMatt1]
      #271997 - 23/10/15 06:49 PM

The "Big Game" model and the "Vintage" model are different.

The very successful "Big Game" model is made go a Rigby/Mauser factory standard.

The "Vintage" model came about in fact due to some criticisms by some members at this very forum, NitroExpress.com, with Marc Newton and his team planning a high quality 'vintage' offering made by the Rigby London team of gunsmiths.

The most prestigious line is the "London Best" range which is of very high standard and is also completely custom made.

"Overpriced" is an individuals opinion. If they sell at the price to willing customers, they are not overpriced. If an individual feels that is the case, just go elsewhere. For that price a good custom rifle could be made to the standard and design one wants. It won't have "Rigby" as the maker of course and one has to pay the price a maker asks for in that case. Or buy a pre-owned vintage aged Rigby.

Quote:

I would be perfectly happy with a "largely machine made" Vintage Model, and I am not insulted by the idea of a pantographed stock (as if anyone can tell the difference). The difference in price is completely obsurd. Perhaps they could keep the London Best reserved for the Jet Setters, but make the vintage model working rifle within reach of working class,

If they had a machine made stock, it would not be a "vintage" model Rigby.

The original Rigby's of the past were also beyond the means of the working class man, and were almost entirely used and owned by the "jetset" of the day.

Mere mortals, like us, of the day, used .404 Jeffery's of 'common' design in excellent M98 actions. Or other rifles and calibres. The .404 for example was available in a cheapish design and was also issued as the "working" rifle to Eaat African game department staff.

These 'Vintage' and 'London Best' 'models' are not re-badged rifles made by someone else in cheap labour countries but made in London. That will carry a price tag.

A similar price complaint can be made about any of the better UK gun brands.

Quote:

I found the article I got my info from. It is dated April 2013. It says that Blaser was in the process of building a facility in which they will build their own actions. I can't say with certainty that Mauser has started Mauser action production, but it seems they have had plenty of time since this announcement to have production under way! It is true that Mauser has been using Prechtl action for a number of years. However, things have changed, or are going to change very soon:

"Blaser is in the process of building a new factory just for Mauser, in the Blaser complex, and there they will begin making genuine Mauser 98 actions. Mauser will supply barreled actions to Rigby in London, where they will be stocked, proofed and finished."

That was my information. Marc Newton previously had told me, the actions were sourced from and made by Mauser.

I don't understand the problem though. There is the "Big Game" model which has already sold probably over two hundred rifles. There is the London Rigby custom team made "vintage" and "London Best" offerings. There are pre-owned older Rigby rifles on the market. One can have made a vintage Rigby styled rifle made by other makers or custom gunmakers. One of our own members makes wonderful examples. But the name costs what it costs.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Edited by NitroX (24/10/15 12:30 AM)

ColoradoMatt1
.300 member

Re: Price for new "Vintage Model" Rigby 416 [Re: NitroX]
      #272009 - 23/10/15 09:28 PM

Thank you John. That was incredibly informative!
Matt

Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
Re: Price for new "Vintage Model" Rigby 416 [Re: ColoradoMatt1]
      #272040 - 24/10/15 09:15 AM

I think making the "Vintage Model" was pretty astute marketing by Rigby.
As you recall, when the "Big Game" model was introduced, it left a lot of potential buyers disappointed that Rigby didn't really stick to the pre-war design which was touted as their design goal with the Big Game rifle from the start.
Now, with the Vintage, they have heeded all of the criticism and instead of incorporating those changes into making the Big Game what it should have been from the beginning, they came up with a whole new model in between the BG and the London Best, at a substantial premium over the base model.
Makes sense, I guess. I wouldn't want to be one who bought a BG and then Rigby goes and improves the line on subsequent rifles. Nobody would ever buy your gun if that happened.

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Price for new "Vintage Model" Rigby 416 [Re: Huvius]
      #272065 - 24/10/15 05:25 PM

Quote:

I wouldn't want to be one who bought a BG and then Rigby goes and improves the line on subsequent rifles. Nobody would ever buy your gun if that happened.

I have no idea of their cost structures but the Vintage model is made at the London workshop and substantially hand made and the costs would be more than the Big Game model price could bear.

Price would certainly be part of the reason, but for every hundred Big Game model sold, my guess is only a small handfull of Vintage models would be commissioned.

I could say why the BG model is styled like it is, but that would breach a confidence.

The Big Game model by any unbiased account has been very successful, and outsold expectations. Many of their competitors must have lost sales as a result. One reason we see attacks on them by competitors.

I have no irons in this, I like Marc and I like it the Rigby name has been resurrected with good quality rifles.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Wanabebwana
.300 member

Re: Price for new "Vintage Model" Rigby 416 [Re: NitroX]
      #272187 - 26/10/15 02:04 PM

I cannot find any information on the Rigby site or anywhere on the net about a Vintage Model .416 Rigby. I have contacted Rigby that informed me that only two models are available, the double square bridge or the classic single square bridge.Both using the Prechtl/ Mauser action made by GOLmatic.
Could you please give me the URL for the information you found. Thanks.

Edited by Wanabebwana (26/10/15 02:10 PM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Price for new "Vintage Model" Rigby 416 [Re: Wanabebwana]
      #274589 - 05/12/15 10:06 AM

The "Vintage" model is available from the Rigby "London Best" workshop as a custom offering.

John Rigby - Vintage model .416
http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=270311&an=&page=0&vc=1

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 44 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5712

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com