Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Ist time Lee Speed owner with questions

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Lee Speed Forum & Archive

Pages: 1
SuperCub
.224 member

Reged: 27/03/11
Loc: NB, Canada
Ist time Lee Speed owner with questions
      #273823 - 23/11/15 04:11 AM

I've been a lurker here for a while mostly watching this Lee Speed section with interest and trying to learn a bit with the end result buying a LS rifle.

Fast forward .... Bought this Andrews Lee Speed last week here in Canada at a price the same as what you would pay for a std Lee Enfield military sporter so I wasn't passing it up.

I am looking for an overall assessment of this rifle with it's positives and negatives with a focus on non-factory alterations and suggestions for a parts source to rectify some of the issues. While the pics don't do justice, the bore is good w/o being dark or pitted.

Thanks

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
TH44
.375 member

Reged: 21/02/09
Loc: West UK
Re: Ist time Lee Speed owner with questions [Re: SuperCub]
      #273840 - 23/11/15 10:10 AM

Hi Supercub

It looks like a good, clean honest Lee Speed IMHO

With Birmingham Proofs 1896 - 1904, the only Andrews I can find is C W Andrews at various London addresses in business 1882 - 1917 (other Andrews are later, possibly sons/new companies)

A plain rifle in carbine length, [possibly cut down?? opinions please] (I MUCH prefer carbines!), the bolt is a different serial No. (so is my WR LeeSpeed) I cannot remember all the options available, no doubt others here will help

Good luck in shooting it, you certainly have a better rifle than a converted LE

TH44

Sarg
.400 member

Reged: 20/01/07
Loc: Nil
Re: Ist time Lee Speed owner with questions [Re: TH44]
      #273844 - 23/11/15 11:03 AM

Cool old rifle, looks to have a good barrel & be in good useable condition.

I have a hint what this is, but you missed one of the most important photos & that is the left side of the butt socket, could we see that bit please ?

SuperCub
.224 member

Re: Ist time Lee Speed owner with questions [Re: Sarg]
      #273848 - 23/11/15 12:35 PM

SuperCub
.224 member

#273849 - 23/11/15 12:45 PM

My concerns are as follows ...

- Is the bbl length std?
- Is the front sight a factory type? If not, what is?
- What is the typical sling setup for a rifle like this? I have removed the sling (post pics) and am now left with two holes.

Thanks for all replies.

Sarg
.400 member

#273866 - 23/11/15 05:13 PM

Thank you for those, that's what I thought it would look like, one more thing if you look at the fore wood from the top is there cut outs or grooves where a top wood would have clipped on ?

That does not look to be standard barrel length, but you could order non standard lengths like extra long or short, if you ordered a short barrel it would most likely be fitted with a Carbine barrel which are 20 1/4in measured from the front ring & different profile to a cut down rifle barrel .

Not a normal front sight, if I get time I will try to put some up .

Sling Hook eyes are standard on nearly all (ever factory rifle I have seen) for sling fitting .

If the rear sight is mounted more than 2.5in forward of the front ring it is most likely a rifle barrel cut down, also I have never seen that type of military rear sight on a factory sportier .

Edited by Sarg (23/11/15 05:24 PM)

SuperCub
.224 member

#273868 - 23/11/15 08:28 PM

The grooves are there on the top of the stock but filled in. Two on each side.

Where does one buy a set of those sling hook eyes?

Thanks

gungadoug
.333 member

Reged: 13/08/12
Loc: NM
      #273872 - 24/11/15 12:05 AM

I know a guy in New Mexico has made a batch of those sling eyes from originals- excellent! PM me for info--
Doug

SuperCub
.224 member

Re: Ist time Lee Speed owner with questions [Re: gungadoug]
      #273873 - 24/11/15 12:30 AM

Quote:

I know a guy in New Mexico has made a batch of those sling eyes from originals- excellent! PM me for info--
Doug

PM sent!

Thanks

SuperCub
.224 member

#274139 - 27/11/15 01:48 PM

Quote:

I have a hint what this is,

Military conversion?

Sarg
.400 member

#274154 - 27/11/15 03:34 PM

Well yes & no, it was in Military guise but a civilian model & then some one sporterized her & I don't think that was Andrews the English rifle builder .

It had the full Military stock, note the cut outs for the top hand guard & the cut out for the Volley sight on the side, also the action was milled for the Volley sight, the later BSA spoters had these filled in like yours & some very few others that were made by rifle builders .

I have a couple of these & one that was a Carbine version that has no machining for the volley sight .

One thing that is unusual is your looks to have a Carbine trigger Guard & for sure has a Carbine or sporter magazine, hence me asking about the rear sight placement .

I think you got a good deal any which way & should be pleased with the rifle, I bought one like it (not Lee Speed marked) in the UK deactivated just for the magazine & got them to resell the rifle as I need a few mags for the rifles I have, I would have bought yours & done the same if I had seen it !

Thank you for posting on your rifle

Sarg
.400 member

#274161 - 27/11/15 09:08 PM

Most of the front sights are like this unless there is a full barrel rib .

With a very few like this .

SuperCub
.224 member

#274165 - 27/11/15 11:16 PM

Quote:

Well yes & no, it was in Military guise but a civilian model & then some one sporterized her & I don't think that was Andrews the English rifle builder .

Thank-you much for the appraisal and the pics.

I was looking for such a rifle that wasn't too collectable to use in the field yet still be a cool old gun as this one is. I was quite pleased to get it and it may be the basis for buying more. Price was only $250 CDN, so no brainer @ that price.

Questions

- Will other Lee Metford parts work on this rifle? I have located one that could be razed for parts including 10shot mag, sights, bolt with dust cover and a decent stock.
- What is the relationship between Andrews and BSA if Andrews didn't "sporterize" this sporter?

Thanks again, Paul

Old_rifle_nut
.300 member

Reged: 13/12/06
Loc: Manitoba, Canada
      #274186 - 28/11/15 05:42 AM

SuperCub

If you want a 10 shot mag for your Andrews, I have one from another Andrews, and would swap it plus some cash for your 5 shot mag.

Jim
Winnipeg, MB
R2G 3R5

Old_rifle_nut
.300 member

Re: Ist time Lee Speed owner with questions [Re: Old_rifle_nut]
      #274188 - 28/11/15 05:59 AM

Oops, hit enter too soon.

Re: Will other Lee Metford parts work on this rifle?
Yes, as will Long Lee parts.

Re: I have located one that could be razed for parts including 10shot mag, sights, bolt with dust cover and a decent stock.

You were asking about a dust cover. From your photo, your bolt already has a dust cover. You do, however, need a magazine cut-off.
For sights, I presume you are referring to a cape sight (ie 1 standing leaf, 3 folding leaves & 1 flip-up tangent to 1,000 yds.?

Re:What is the relationship between Andrews and BSA if Andrews didn't "sporterize" this sporter?

Andrews, like almost every other "gunmaker" bought in firearms from the real makers and had them marked, or marked them themselves with their name. B.S.A.Co. made 95% of the Lee Speeds, while L.S.A.Co.Ld. made the rest. This rifle started as a civilian "commercial" purchase, hence the lack of military markings. It was probably purchased for target use. At some time, the rifle was sporterized for hunting. The barrel was cut-down, a new front sight was made, the long range volley sight & boss were removed, the stock was shortened, refinished & chequered & the magazine cut-off was removed.

I've owned 3 Andrews & all but 1 were like yours; the remaining one was a #1 Pattern (engraved with a full-length rib)

Jim

SuperCub
.224 member

Re: Ist time Lee Speed owner with questions [Re: Old_rifle_nut]
      #274203 - 28/11/15 10:17 AM

Quote:

SuperCub

If you want a 10 shot mag for your Andrews, I have one from another Andrews, and would swap it plus some cash for your 5 shot mag.

Jim
Winnipeg, MB
R2G 3R5

Hey Jim .... I was considering finding another mag for a spare, keeping the 5er for hunting.

Thanks for the info.

SuperCub
.224 member

#274208 - 28/11/15 11:41 AM

How is the headspace in these Lee Speed rifles compared to military?

Old_rifle_nut
.300 member

#274329 - 01/12/15 04:32 AM

Headspace usually isn't the problem with any #1. It is the fact the rifles' chambers were cut so they would work with all ammunition & work in the mud of Flanders (being a fellow Canuck, I shouldn't have to tell you about the Ross fiasco, should I?).

Don't forget the military doesn't / didn't reload.

What I do is neck up new PRVI / ppu brass (made to mil spec) or if you have access to new DI 42-45 brass (Canadian made Defence Industries war-time brass, of EXCELLENT quality) to ~.338 or .357 & then neck them back down so your bolt just closes on the round. Thereafter, just neck size, I use either/both a Redding bushing neck sizer as well as a Lee collett die and even though I also have a Redding body die, I haven't had to use it yet.

If you don't have headspace gauges, a trick I've used is to use one of the small round peel and stick sale stickers you get at the dollar store. Trim to just fit the base of the cartridge. They measure about 0.004" thickness.

btw, all of my old LS's really like cast bullets, especially the heavy ones that mimic the old Mark VI bullet. I've designed a few on accurate moulds and mountain moulds.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4662

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com