Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Siamese Mauser in 303 British project finished...sorta.

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
AbitNutz
.275 member

Reged: 02/09/12
Loc: Ohio, USA
Siamese Mauser in 303 British project finished...sorta.
      #274226 - 28/11/15 08:48 PM

I came across a Tokyo Arsenal Siamese Mauser in excellent condition and decided to convert it to a shootable caliber. As I happen to have a lot of terrific Greek 303 surplus ammo and I reload .303 British, it was a no-brainer what to convert it to.

I took it to a trusted Mauser-centric gunsmith. It was re-barreled with a varmint weight 1-10 twist 24 inch .311 barrel. The stock bolt handle was re-contoured and turned down. A Timney trigger was installed and a new semi-inletted sporter stock was added. The stock was by far the most work. I still have not finish sanded it and applied its final finish.

So what happened? It immediately became clear that the extractor was not big enough to grab the smaller rim of the .303. There are no other Mauser extractors that are adaptable to the Siamese action. The only answer was to weld it up and re-profile it. Fortunately, that seemed to be no problem to my gunsmith and in relatively short order that was done. It now extracts the 303 cases perfectly.

The good news is that it feeds the 303 really well from the stock magazine. 4 rounds in the magazine box run perfectly. 5 rounds will work if you pay attention to how you put them in.

As with most custom barreled, glass bedded Mauser actions, it's stupid accurate, even with surplus Greek ammo. If there is any notion that the 303 is not accurate, let me dispel that rumor.

Did the project make any sense...well, no. Not if you add up what I spent. I could have gotten a very nice Savage 110 in 308 that would have been at least as accurate, which I did. I have to tell you that I will pickup and shoot my Japanese 303 British rifle way before I ever touch the Savage.

I still believe the 303 British is the best cartridge to convert a Siamese Mauser to. The reason being is that the extractor issue is fairly easily fixed. Almost any other caliber seems to have magazine feeding issues, which the 303 doesn't seem to. I also have a Siamese Mauser in 45/70 and it is a single shot. You load one, fire and then fiddle with the next to get it to go.

On paper the 7.62x54r Russian looks like a better candidate but for some reason doesn't feed as well out of the magazine...not sure why but magazine feeding issues seem to be harder to solve than the extraction issue.

I thought about doing a 303 Gibbs or some other 303 based wildcat but again, the magazine feeding issue may come up. I like the 303 and am perfectly happy handloading it when I want to do something special.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Siamese Mauser in 303 British project finished...sorta. [Re: AbitNutz]
      #274238 - 29/11/15 05:06 AM

Standard .303IMP is a great round. It's even better (better bullets) if chambered up on a .308 barrel.
I note that a normal round duplicates it, like a .308 or 7.5x55 - but - it's a .303 IMP or perhaps a .30/303IMP and that is what makes it yours.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

yumastepside
.333 member

Reged: 25/10/15
Loc: Tasmania Australia
Re: Siamese Mauser in 303 British project finished...sorta. [Re: DarylS]
      #274244 - 29/11/15 07:45 AM

Just a side note,my Siamese in 7.62X54R has no feed issues,as you say " slicker 'n snot".
Its nothing fancy, Siamese action from Jack Millar,old 303B barrel from No I Mk III,vintage Pecar 4X in a Portuguese Vergueiro stock.....its a working rifle,200Gr soft nose hit like a freight train.....nasty on pigs and I dont have to worry about scratching the stock

Roger

--------------------
If you live for a thousand years, you still only have one life, don't waste it.

AbitNutz
.275 member

Reged: 02/09/12
Loc: Ohio, USA
Re: Siamese Mauser in 303 British project finished...sorta. [Re: yumastepside]
      #274256 - 29/11/15 09:40 AM

Can you get 4 or 5 rounds of 7.62x54r in the magazine? I've always been a fan of the big Russian cartridge. It has the edge on the 303 British on velocity.

I'm terrifically happy with the 303 round in this rifle. It seems to have a very nice balance of power, recoil and accuracy. I can shoot it all afternoon and I don't get too beat up, the barrel doesn't heat up too much and lose accuracy and it can out down any target I choose.

yumastepside
.333 member

Re: Siamese Mauser in 303 British project finished...sorta. [Re: AbitNutz]
      #274257 - 29/11/15 10:08 AM

.....to be honest I haven't used this gun for about 12 months or more but from memory it took 5 rounds. I had a case rupture and I broke the extractor getting it out, so I'm looking for a new extractor.The Russian is good to shoot, more like a shotgun push than a sharp crack.

Roger

Edited by yumastepside (29/11/15 10:12 AM)

Faraim
.224 member

Reged: 04/12/13
Loc: Middle Tennessee
Re: Siamese Mauser in 303 British project finished...sorta. [Re: yumastepside]
      #274260 - 29/11/15 02:15 PM

I seem to remember someone writing about a .25 Krag build in Rifle magazine from years ago. Perhaps the .30-40 case might work for a future project.

yumastepside
.333 member

Re: Siamese Mauser in 303 British project finished...sorta. [Re: Faraim]
      #274261 - 29/11/15 02:26 PM

....pretty much any rimmed case from the 303B up to a reasonable length will work....45-70, 348, 50 Alaskan and probably a lot of the european rimmed cases.

Roger

--------------------
If you live for a thousand years, you still only have one life, don't waste it.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 29 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3203

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com