Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 6.5/300 Weatherby article

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
6.5/300 Weatherby article
      #274070 - 26/11/15 09:09 AM

http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/gun-shots/first-look-new-65-300-weatherby-magnum-cartridge

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
szihn
.400 member

Reged: 24/06/07
Loc: Wind River Valley, Wyoming
Re: 6.5/300 Weatherby article [Re: Ripp]
      #274080 - 26/11/15 01:56 PM

$5 a shot, and a barrel life measured in "very few hundreds".
For shooters that like shooting that means a new barrel in about 1 month, or maybe a few weeks.

You cannot become a good long range shooter unless you practice a lot, and you need to do so continually to maintain that skill.

I, for one, could not want one of these new 6.5 Weatherbys any less.

As a gunsmith with over 40 years of experience I can't give an accurate count of the number of 264 Win Mags and 257 Weatherby mags I have re-barreled when their throats were eroded, but it is a pretty high count. Adding about 20-30 more grains to the 264 Win Mag would probably drop the barrel life about half. It may be even a larger drop depending on the alloy of the steel. I am going to venture a guess that the bore life of one of these new Weatherby 6.5s is going to be about 600 rounds.

Of course at $5 each (Now in 2015. ---- And higher in the future I am sure) the price may give quite a long barrel life to those that don't load their own. So they can own a very looooooong range rifle that they can't really use because they can't afford to practice with it. We'll have to wait and see on this.

But I know they will sell well. Marketing is "all important" and buying something that is faster is a big motivation to many. As the throat erodes the long range accuracy will disappear. So if you can't use it at 600 yards and farther, I wonder why you would care if your bullet misses while it is going faster.

In my shop I have to re-barrel the 300 Remington Ultra mags fairly often. My customers are usually shocked at how soon the throats erode. I install a new barrel and the harmonics are usually different from that of the old barrel, so ALL the load developments that gave good accuracy in the old barrel are of no value and the customer must start over from the very bottom to find the load that works in the new barrel. I have one customer that had had me put in 4 barrels in his M700 Ultra Mag in only 28 months. Last time he asked me to re-barrel it to a 300 Win Mag. Sorry.........no can do.
You see the Ultra Mag has a bigger shell so the bolt face is bigger. The receiver is milled out to accept the larger magazine so the smaller "standard magnum size" (ie 300 Win mag)can't be made to work.
When you have one of these ultra-mags that is the only thing it will ever be unless you want to re-barrel to a 338 Ultra or a 375 Ultra, or maybe the best one of the bunch, the original 404 Jeffery.
You can go bigger, but not smaller.

So I am going to guess those that get one of the new Weatherby 6.5s will learn the same lessons very soon.

But that's just my take. Others may want one anyway. If you can justify the cost of ammo and barrels they might be fun.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: 6.5/300 Weatherby article [Re: szihn]
      #274084 - 26/11/15 02:44 PM

I've an idea on this.

imho - A person interested in long range shooting, should purchase a GOOD .308 (or factory rifle if there is such a thing) A decent barrel and action and build it for long range shooting.

Practice with that using the VV powders to get light magnum performance, then when you are good with that, switch to the flat shooting hyper velocity number for long range sighting.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: 6.5/300 Weatherby article [Re: DarylS]
      #274101 - 27/11/15 01:14 AM

Quote:

I've an idea on this.

imho - A person interested in long range shooting, should purchase a GOOD .308 (or factory rifle if there is such a thing) A decent barrel and action and build it for long range shooting.

Practice with that using the VV powders to get light magnum performance, then when you are good with that, switch to the flat shooting hyper velocity number for long range sighting.

THAT is exactly what we do a lot ..works well and still get in the practice you need..

Per Steve's comments on the RUMS and other hot rod calibers needing barrels so quickly..not sure what his clients are doing but what is described has never been the case for me. I have owned a 300 RUM since 2000..HS PRECISION..have shot hundreds of rounds through it..have taken it around the world with me..no problems..I have also owned 2 customs chambered in .257 Weatherby..developed loads for them under 50 shots total for both..use the same load every year..still shoot under 1/2" at 100 yds..have owned them both for over 10 years..

With the HS, they actually send a target along with the gun showing the 1/2 guarantee and load they are using..one can simply use that load or come up with one of your own..I have always found with a very accurate rifle you don't need to shoot hundreds of rounds to come up with a load..case in point is the 26 Nosler I shot a few weeks back--worked up 6 loads with 3 different bullet types..researched as to what others found accurate for powders, etc and put them together..3 of the 6 loads shot 1/2 or better at 100..so I had 18 rounds through it by that time..

As Barnsness stated in his review, come up with a good load and go for it..how many rounds do you shoot per year deer or elk hunting..1,2 3?? the rifle will last a lifetime and then some..

As for cost of ammo, dont think too many are going to shoot factory ammo..I haven't shot factory ammo in my RUMS since I bought it..same goes for the 257's as I didn't free bore the throats like the factory at weatherby does..hence factory ammo will not work. So, in that light it doesn't cost me a whole lot more to shoot them than anything else..

Finally as to barrel cost..they are only $4-$600 typically..not a ton of money for a lot of fun..heck thats a weekend out of town in todays world..

As stated, this is just my opinion and what I have experienced..everyone is different and that is great..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Edited by Ripp (27/11/15 10:40 AM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 35 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1255

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com