Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Sabatti Redux.....

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
3DogMike
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/15
Loc: Western Slope, Colorado USA
Sabatti Redux.....
      #273791 - 22/11/15 02:24 PM

Took a chance on a Sabatti 92 Classic 9.3x74 due to a smokin deal; have been kind of looking for a rifle that I could actually hunt Colorado with and not worry about hurting my nice British doubles. Knowing the Sabatti issues I figured if it didn't pan out it could be sent to Aaron Little to get fixed and still be a competitive all in cost.
This one is a "Post Cabelas" rifle that is being imported by the latest group called IFG out of Amarillo, Tx. The muzzles have NOT been Demel'd.....
Weight is 7.3 lbs (3.3 kilo) with 23.6" (65cm) barrels and a 14.5" length of pull.
The only thing I don't really care for aesthetically is 1) the bold white lettering on top of the barrels, and 2) the Bavarian style hogback stock; still, it shoulders and shoots nicely.

Got to shoot it today, only 4 shots on paper and no chrono because it was just too cold (28°F/-2°C)and with low late afternoon shadows to do much more than a quick test fire.
Load was old school 285 Norma round nose soft points, 57 grains RL15, CCI 200 primer, and RWS brass.
The pictured target is a 6" bull at 50 yards standing, shot over my old B4 bag on the hood of my SUV. Max spread is 3 1/4" and R1 & L1 were pretty good......by the time I shot (L2) the 4th shot, called it high, I was in a hurry to get back into the warm car. The non-traditional red fibre optic front sight isn't very conducive to shooting groups, covered up the whole bullseye @ 50 yards, was easy to see in the afternoon shadow..........that's my story and I'm sticking to it!
Did shoot a few more at rocks about 100 yards away and accuracy offhand looked great. Fun gun.

I think I lucked out on the Sabatti lottery/crap shoot & I have a keeper.....I'll post more when I get a better day to shoot at paper and have the chronograph on hand.

An interesting side note: take a look at the Sabatti supplied test target (take THAT target with a grain of salt).....see anything odd/AFU?
- Mike

BTW: the stock recoil pad not only is ugly, but it sucks......Pachmayer Decelerator in this guns future.

[image]http://[/image]

--------------------
"Here's to killing people you don't like with people you do"

"Will Rogers never met a fighter pilot"
- Anon

“Always carry a flask of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake."
-- W. C. Fields

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
crshelton
.333 member

Reged: 10/11/15
Loc: Republic of Texas
Re: Sabatti Redux..... [Re: 3DogMike]
      #273809 - 23/11/15 01:47 AM

Mmmmm, do we rotate the last target or assume it was shot upside down?

Thank you for the post. I met the distributor from Amarillo at the 2015 Dallas Safari Club show and he had a good story to tell and several interesting firearms to show. A friend of mine bought the .45-70 model at the show and is pleased with it.

Congratulations on a good buy.

--------------------
CRS,NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/

3DogMike
.400 member

Re: Sabatti Redux..... [Re: crshelton]
      #273811 - 23/11/15 02:32 AM

Not to worry, even Texas (most parts) will feel a freeze sometime this winter and you will probably slap that shoot-n-see target on upside down! (The print is too small to see @ 50 yards anyway). ;-))
Thanks for the comment about the IFG people.
- Mike

--------------------

- Anon

“Always carry a flask of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake."
-- W. C. Fields

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #273815 - 23/11/15 02:59 AM

Is that really on the top of the barrels?!

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#273816 - 23/11/15 03:06 AM

Quote:

An interesting side note: take a look at the Sabatti supplied test target (take THAT target with a grain of salt).....see anything odd/AFU?
- Mike

Yes 32.5 gms is over 500 grs. Though it is written as 325 grs. If 325 grs projectile who on earth makes a 325 gr projectile? Woodleigh does make 320 grs.

Also the Hornady FTX projectile is not available in 9.3mm and is also a boat tailed spitzer projectile not very suitable for a double rifle.

Obviously a similar level of quality control and effort is made test shooting, and recording on the target to making the rifles.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (23/11/15 03:10 AM)

aromakr
.375 member

Reged: 20/04/11
Loc: Hamilton, Montana
Re: Sabatti Redux..... [Re: NitroX]
      #273819 - 23/11/15 03:28 AM

I can't believe they put the un-godly looking white lettering on the barrels, what a shame an otherwise nice looking rifle made to look cheap.
Bob

3DogMike
.400 member

Re: Sabatti Redux..... [Re: aromakr]
      #273822 - 23/11/15 04:09 AM

John and Bob,
Laughing....Yup.......what genius decided to put that lettering in bold white right on top of the barrels. I mean REALLY?
Even car tires have not had white lettering on the outside since what, the 1970's.......FUGLY.....

I tried gently rubbing with 0000 steel wool and Kroil but that paint would not budge. I think I'll try a paint remover like "CitriStrip" later after I make sure the stuff will not harm the blacking.

The test target:
What were they smoking? Now Norma does (or used to) make a 325 grain 9.3 Oryx load, and Hornady certainly makes FTX but not a 9.3mm 325 grain. Maybe the Sabatti people mated the two to get a hybrid (like a mule), we could call it Horma or Normady "WTF" Ammo!
The Sabatti test targets seem to have always been bogus; now how can there be any credibility at all?

Don't get me wrong; this is going to be a fine "users rifle" despite the cosmetic gripes and that idiotic target.
For the price I am particularly impressed by the quality of the metal work with very good fit and action lockup is well fitted and tight. Stock finish and checkering are decent.
Barrels are, to me, a bit light given the feathery weight of the rifle (~7.3lbs/3.3kilo) and that the balance is between the hinge pin and trigger guard. As it will likely be carried more than shot I can live with the weight.
- Mike

--------------------

- Anon

-- W. C. Fields

Wayne59
.400 member

Reged: 20/06/15
Loc: Lagrange Ga. USA
      #273850 - 23/11/15 12:48 PM

I would pay the money and have someone re black the barrels. That is to ugly even for my tast.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#273855 - 23/11/15 01:23 PM

Quote:

Is that really on the top of the barrels?!

I wonder if that was put on by the importer?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

AZDAVE
.275 member

Reged: 12/02/09
Loc: Arizona, USA
      #273915 - 24/11/15 03:33 PM

The test target looks like the test firer had just been doing 45/70's and just messed up on what it was regulated with.. Guess that it was the hornady 286 gr. Since you are planning on using it for a knock around double just have the barrels bead blasted and cerakoted and be done with it. I have one of the 450NE double from sabatti that is very well regulated.

Nitro_Andreas
.224 member

Reged: 07/11/11
Loc: Norway
Re: Sabatti Redux..... [Re: AZDAVE]
      #273968 - 25/11/15 09:41 AM

23,6 inch barrels are 60cm... Not 65cm.
Thats 25.6 inches.

aromakr
.375 member

Re: Sabatti Redux..... [Re: Nitro_Andreas]
      #273976 - 25/11/15 10:41 AM

Mike:
Taking another look at the white lettering, I'm wondering if its been silk screened on after bluing?
You might try using some MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone) on a small corner of one of the letters and see if it removes it. I don't think it will remove the bluing.

Looking at your target again, its not that bad, any idea what the speed is, I'd bet by increasing the velocity 50 fps it will bring those together. I haven't looked to see how close that load is to max, but if you can get it up to about 2350fps they should look pretty good.
Where in Colorado are you?
Bob

Edited by aromakr (25/11/15 10:48 AM)

3DogMike
.400 member

#273988 - 25/11/15 02:17 PM

Andreas: yes, thank you for the correction. I wish the USA would get busy converting the rest of the world to feet/inches. ;-))
NOT....I was just in a rush and did not check the conversion.

Bob,
Tried MEK, Acetone, and CitriStrip to no result. Finally just degreased and then tried Brownells Oxpho-Blue......magic (sort of) at least it dulled/darkened it go the point that the lettering is not grossly obtrusive.
As I mentioned, it was too freakin' cold for this child that day I got to shoot so I didn't have my Chrono with me. As well, I just wasn't in to perfect bench rest form due to cussing the cold.
Between RL15, IMR 4064, and H4350 I have room to increase the loads to see what might bring them together a bit more. Might have to wait for Spring weather tho......

I'm on the Colorado Western Slope near Glenwood Springs.
- Mike

--------------------

- Anon

-- W. C. Fields

aromakr
.375 member

#274076 - 26/11/15 10:37 AM

Mike:
My best friend is in Fruita, I get over there all the time. You might try adding H414 to your list, that's my go to in my 93X74R.
I know what you mean about the cold, I tried Elk hunting today in a blizzard with 15-20mph wind. The only thing I accomplished was to burn gas.
Bob

3DogMike
.400 member

#274090 - 26/11/15 04:10 PM

Quote:

Mike:
My best friend is in Fruita, I get over there all the time. You might try adding H414 to your list, that's my go to in my 93X74R.
I know what you mean about the cold, I tried Elk hunting today in a blizzard with 15-20mph wind. The only thing I accomplished was to burn gas.
Bob

Hi Bob,
Fruita......kind of just down the road for me....actually I'm in Redstone, Co. Have done business with the guy that has "Old West Bullet Moulds" in Fruita. He does very nice moulds for about any bullet, even 1880's heel bullets.

You know, the next time you are out this way we need to meet up at "Shooters Grill" in Rifle, Colorado if you have never been. Look on the Internet; great place that literally upholds the 2nd Ammendment and has no problem with open carry....even the wait staff packs!!! Sierra Hotel.

http://www.shootersgrillofrifle.com

I will PM you my phone contact.

Will look into H414, thanks for the tip.
- Mike

--------------------

- Anon

-- W. C. Fields

Edited by 3DogMike (26/11/15 04:20 PM)

aromakr
.375 member

#274103 - 27/11/15 02:50 AM

Mike:
I have heard of that place. I'll be in Fruita the end of Dec. Don and I and several others are going to Arizona on a Mule deer bow hunt.
Bob

Pages: 1

Extra information
6 registered and 55 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5264

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com