Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Latest Greener No1 Lee-Speed...!

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Lee Speed Forum & Archive

Pages: 1
Roy
.300 member

Reged: 06/09/15
Loc: New Mexico
Latest Greener No1 Lee-Speed...!
      #272903 - 09/11/15 01:57 AM

Hi Gents,

I thought I would share some details of my latest Lee-Speed find.

It is a BSA No1 retailed by W.W. Greener with a special order short 19" barrel. There are a few issues with the rifle; dust cover missing (does anyone have one spare?), sheered off sight screw, missing magazine chain. However the metalwork in general is superb but sadly the woodwork isn't, so possibly a wood restoration project.

Here is a link to some photos I threw up on my website.

http://wilkinsonfscollection.com/wilkinsonfscollection.com/BSA_Lee_Speed_No1_Greener.html

If anyone wants to copy some pics off my webpage and post them on this thread then please feel free.

Cheers, Roy.

--------------------
My Website: www.wilkinsonfscollection.com

http://wilkinsonfscollection.com/wilkinsonfscollection.com/The_Lee-Speed_Rifle.html

Edited by Roy (09/11/15 02:07 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: Latest Greener No1 Lee-Speed...! [Re: Roy]
      #272906 - 09/11/15 02:28 AM

lovely little rifle, with time and patience you will repair the small issues

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

Edited by lancaster (09/11/15 03:06 AM)

Roy
.300 member

Re: Latest Greener No1 Lee-Speed...! [Re: lancaster]
      #272908 - 09/11/15 02:35 AM

Hi Lancaster,

Many thanks for throwing up the photos, much appreciated.

And thank you for your kind words too. Yes a beautiful little rifle. Since I took the pics I have carefully pulled it apart for a closer look and really impressed with the condition of the original finish. I think with a really superb new stock it would be a stunning rifle. I was a cabinet maker in my youth so perhaps a project I will takle myself maybe?

Cheers, Roy.

--------------------

http://wilkinsonfscollection.com/wilkinsonfscollection.com/The_Lee-Speed_Rifle.html

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #272909 - 09/11/15 02:46 AM

The repairs (looks like Brownell's bisonite) at the rear of the action are quite well done. Looks like a nice hunting rifle regardless of this old damage and what appears to be a replacement forend.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Roy
.300 member

Re: Latest Greener No1 Lee-Speed...! [Re: DarylS]
      #272916 - 09/11/15 04:58 AM

Hi Daryl,

Thanks for that. And yes despite the repairs it's still quite solid. On disassembling it I'm inclined to thing the fore-stock is original and the butt-stock is replaced. However regardless of which it is I do believe this rifle deserved a really beautiful full stock replacement, as mentioned something I am seriously considering as a longterm project. I will however get it back together first and make sure it shoots okay and all is functioning as it should before I consider a (wood) restoration.

Cheers, Roy.

P.s. I would still like to get hold of a dust cover for the bolt, so if you chaps can keep that in mind I would be grateful.

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #272917 - 09/11/15 05:13 AM

Yes - with those engravings and stampings, it most certainly is prime for a re-stock.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Bidgee
.375 member

Reged: 08/04/15
Loc: Northern Rivers, NSW
Re: Latest Greener No1 Lee-Speed...! [Re: DarylS]
      #272926 - 09/11/15 10:46 AM

Nice find, that's a lovely pick up and a great restoration project. I like the short barrel on it.

Keep us posted on the work you do on it.

Cheers

PS, I am after a dust cover as well so when you come across an unopened box of them let me know.

Roy
.300 member

Re: Latest Greener No1 Lee-Speed...! [Re: Bidgee]
      #272928 - 09/11/15 12:03 PM

Thanks Gents,

Appreciated your kind words and support. I will certainly update with some pics as and when I takle a stock for this.

Bidgee, I will certainly drop you a line when that 'box' of dust covers comes my way...:)

In the mean time can I ask what rifle you have which is missing the part?

Cheers, Roy.

--------------------

Bidgee
.375 member

Reged: 08/04/15
Loc: Northern Rivers, NSW
      #272941 - 09/11/15 11:54 PM

Roy,

PM sent.

Cheers.

Sarg
.400 member

Reged: 20/01/07
Loc: Nil
      #272951 - 10/11/15 06:47 AM

Wow great rifle, I to really like the shorter barrel (are you sure that's factory ?) I have a few like yours (much worse) that I'm getting back on there feet, almost none have original barrels or sights, some have dust covers missing & holes drilled in the actions for scope mounts !

Most of these I could have bought complete for less than it has cost me to get them back to original !
Sort of like paying them off this way LoL .

If your barrel is good you are very lucky, if your magazine does not have engraving on the bottom it is most likely a replacement (normally have a Carbine type mag but some have the rifle type) & I would be very surprised (astounded really) if the rifle has not been refinished !

Some thing that really sticks out is the Winchester grip cap, same as my Win Mod 88 & Mod 100 had .

Great rifle & wish any of my old girls were as nice !

Roy
.300 member

Re: Latest Greener No1 Lee-Speed...! [Re: Sarg]
      #272956 - 10/11/15 08:38 AM

Hi Sarg,

Thanks for that. Re originality of finish and barrel length - once I did a basic diss-assemble I had a good look at all parts, finish etc and I'm reasonably confident that both the barrel and finish are original. I'm no expert so can't guarantee 100% but I cannot find any tell-tail signs of ether the barrel being cut down and/or refinishing done. The finish overall is clean but shows consistent wear with all (metal) parts and when looking closely at the markings/engraving in comparison to the finish, all looks untampered with.

I thought the same when I first got it, especially regards the short barrel but for the life of me, all looks good and original. Needless to say I was pretty chuffed. Just a few minor issues and of course a full re-stock would really bring this old girl back to life.

Cheers, Roy.

--------------------

VonGruff
.400 member

Reged: 08/02/09
Loc: South Otago, New Zealand.
      #272959 - 10/11/15 10:31 AM

Quote:

Thanks Gents,

I will certainly drop you a line when that 'box' of dust covers comes my way...:)

Cheers, Roy.

You could put my name on that list as well Roy as I would be happy to get at least a couple from your magic box.

In the meantime following on with the restoration of this fine old rifle will be watched ith interest. I dabble a little with fake Lee speeds but the real macoy is step u in all areas of desirability

--------------------
Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Edited by VonGruff (10/11/15 10:34 AM)

Old_rifle_nut
.300 member

Reged: 13/12/06
Loc: Manitoba, Canada
Re: Latest Greener No1 Lee-Speed...! [Re: VonGruff]
      #274958 - 12/12/15 08:00 AM

Roy:

Don't forget that your dust-cover will probably be engraved, but not inscribed with Greener's name & address, as all of the examples that I have seen by various retailers have either the barrel / rib marked or the dust cover, but never both.

Jim

Roy
.300 member

Re: Latest Greener No1 Lee-Speed...! [Re: Old_rifle_nut]
      #274961 - 12/12/15 08:46 AM

Hi Jim,

Thanks for that. Yes I had considered that too. Right now 'any' dust cover would be an upgrade but certainly an engraved example would be preferable.

The good news is, is that I now have an engraved magazine which has replaced the plain example. A ten rounders and would prefer a five round example but again and still the engraved (ten round) mag is an upgrade.

Cheers, Roy.

--------------------

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #274974 - 12/12/15 12:50 PM

That is a great find and with some work will be the bees knees.

I have had the fortune to handle several Lee Speed and they are all excellent handling stalking rifles. If I ever get my hands on one it will become my go to rifle.

Roy
.300 member

Re: Latest Greener No1 Lee-Speed...! [Re: Rule303]
      #274983 - 13/12/15 01:58 AM

Hi Rule303,

Thank you for that and I couldn't agree more. It will be a bit of a long term project as I'm not set up for any 'restoration' per-se but this old beauty certainly deserves to be brought back and that is something I fully intend to do.

Cheers, Roy.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4770

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com