Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 4 bore rifle

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Muzzleloaders & Blackpowder

Pages: 1
TH44
.375 member

Reged: 21/02/09
Loc: West UK
4 bore rifle
      #270676 - 19/09/15 05:38 AM

After looking for a 4 bore rifle for years, this one came up last week and I could not resisit it

Made by an unknown Belgain maker (Liege proofs), this is a BIG rifle, compare it in the pic below with my 4 bore goose gun and Alexander Henry 6 bore rifle (posted here)

Unfortuneately it has had the Patch Box removed and several off colour inserts in the stock

At a touch under 19 lbs it it just about handleable for me, whereas the 22lb doubles are not

Barrel is 30 inches with bore of 1.005"

I have a mould for a .995 Round ball so MAYBE! in the future I will give it a go with a patch but not until I fix the nipple (only held in by a couple of threads) and NOT the full 14 - 16 drams BP (385 - 440 grain)!! loads

Top is the goose gun with 34" barrel at 11 1/2 lbs, bottom the Alexander Henry

Nice engraving

Possibly restocked

7 groove rifling .010" deep

Very optimistic 300 yard (metre?) rear sight, typical continental style

Rugged foresight and heavy iron ramrod, no screw for removing misfire balls

Comments and opnions please

TH44

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylSModerator
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: 4 bore rifle [Re: TH44]
      #270692 - 19/09/15 01:12 PM

The bore is in pretty nasty shape.
A lead lap and a LOT of work might smooth it up a bit.
Anew nipple is recommended, of course.
Should be fun.
If the barrel is not smoothed considerably, the bore will foul badly - spoiling the fun of shooting it.
Use VERY wet patches.
Oil like Neetsfoot Oil for hunting, while a water based lube for plinking will work and shoot more cleanly as well0

I use winter windshield washer fluid with a bit of Neetsfoot Oil added, for target shooting with my ML's - about 2 ounce oil per quart. This mix shoots well. You do not need, nor want soap in the mix.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

TH44
.375 member

Re: 4 bore rifle [Re: DarylS]
      #271070 - 28/09/15 09:01 AM

Daryl

Many thanks for your comments, I have heard about lead lapping but do not have any details

Exactly what do you do? (I have a lathe and am competent at turning to .010"!

I would only shoot it a few times but would like the barrel to be a little better

I have tried a bronze brush with "Butch's Bore Shine" (good results on better barrels) but with little success

Can you give me your advice (or anyone else's) please?

Tony

DarylSModerator
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #271099 - 29/09/15 01:51 AM

Try to find some "Scotch-Brit" or "Scotch Bright" pads at a hardware or perhaps wood finishing store. They are coloured as to how coarse they are. I think the green is too fine and would use the red colour.

They are a woven plastic-sort-of abrasive pad- about 1/4" thick and 10" square.

Cut about a 1 1/2" square and put that over a jag - with some form of thin lubricant, like WD40/Varsol/Kerosene etc. Scrub the bore with that.

This is what we advise fellows with brand new Muzzleloading barrels that are cut rifled and have sharp edges to the rifling that is cutting the patches. This coarse 'cloth' will smooth the edges without damaging the bore.

It might help your gun.

Ned Robert's Book, "The Muzzle Loading Cap Lock Rifle" written about 1934 or so, explained lead lapping fairly well.
:in a nut shell:

A tapered "Lap" is turned, that has about 1" long threaded male end and a threaded female end. The diameter is not important, but large enough that you do not need 5 pounds of lead to cast the lap on it.

The female threaded end is screwed onto a substantial rod. A washer of some sort to plug the bore at the rod is needed. The rod is inserted into the bore to the muzzle- usually, with only a small amount of threads sticking out.

USE ONLY PURE or DEAD SOFT LEAD

Lead is poured around the tapered lap plug until it comes out onto the threads about 1/2". After it cools completely, the lap is pushed out the bore AND a nut if run onto the threads up against the lead.

Lube the lead and push it through the bore one end to the other making sure it will fit. It is then removed and rolled in fine valve grinding compound - lubed with light oil and reinserted into the bore. It is run up and down the bore, breech to muzzle, back and forth, back and forth until it gets 'sloppy'. Then the nut is tightened to expand the lap and again it is run inside the bore.

Repeat:

After many hours of this, you may have to cast another lap and start over. What fun!

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

TH44
.375 member

Re: 4 bore rifle [Re: DarylS]
      #271103 - 29/09/15 02:37 AM

Many thanks Daryl - you have given me a few extra ideas also

I will se what I can do in slow time!

Tony

Ash
.400 member

Reged: 10/05/11
Loc: Australia
      #272752 - 06/11/15 11:16 PM

Let us know how you go Nice pick up!

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  DarylS 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2238

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com