Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Nosler M48 Patriot rifles

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Nosler M48 Patriot rifles
      #270345 - 11/09/15 09:16 AM

Any one have one? Or dealings with one at all. They read like a good buy compared to the overpriced Sako`s etc.

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Nosler M48 Patriot rifles [Re: gryphon]
      #270358 - 11/09/15 02:12 PM

I had one last year in 26 Nosler..they are like holding a 2x4 in your hand..very clunky in my opinion..also for me, the trigger was to close to the wrist on the stock.it was awkward to get a normal grip on it like most guns..I sold mine this spring and am waiting for a Fierce carbon in 26Nosler as well..checked them at at a gun show..much nicer feeling gun..I know guns are different for everyone..but I have owned well over 100 rifles in my lifetime...would never get one of those again..for whatever that is worth..about as much as you paid for it..

Another really well put together rifle in my opinion are those by Legendary Arms..Mark Bansner is the custom gunsmith who is getting these more mass produced..

http://www.legendaryarmsworks.com/

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

gryphon
.450 member

Re: Nosler M48 Patriot rifles [Re: Ripp]
      #270514 - 15/09/15 02:24 PM

I checked the Fierce about three years ago ripp...they are costing six grand here...aaah!

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

#270525 - 16/09/15 12:15 AM

Quote:

I checked the Fierce about three years ago ripp...they are costing six grand here...aaah!

Wow..got mine for about 1/3 of that here...it was weird in that I called them and they wanted $2800. US ..ordered it through a place I do a lot of business with and got it for $2400. guess they are protecting the dealers...which is a good thing..I ordered the wrapped barrel model for carrying in the mountains..they are NOT getting any less steep as I get older..

The Legendary Arms models here are around $1700 and a really nice firearm..as wel...about the same price as the Sako's ..

Ripp

--------------------

gryphon
.450 member

#270551 - 16/09/15 09:10 AM

My N 300 Arrives tomorrow Ripp..I will have to shoot a few deer with it to make it feel better ha ha.

--------------------

gundog
.275 member

Reged: 16/10/10
Loc: Victoria, Australia
      #271836 - 18/10/15 08:43 AM

Have you put anything through it yet Grypho?

Ripp
.577 member

#283144 - 01/06/16 01:22 AM

Quote:

My N 300 Arrives tomorrow Ripp..I will have to shoot a few deer with it to make it feel better ha ha.

Curious how this turned out..???

Ripp

--------------------

gryphon
.450 member

#283179 - 01/06/16 06:19 AM

Ripp I must confess that nothing has so far,I screwed a set of talley one piece rings on it and a 30mm Zeiss Victory sits on top too.

I have been waiting for the 'right moment" and I`m still waiting...sort of hoping my worn out body heals a bit more.
I shot a couple of deer yesterday with my .358 NM and it could have been the nosler just as easily.

Gundog asked me on the phone the other day the same thing!

Keep prompting me and I will get off my arse and get her going.I have plenty of ammo and I still havent used the container of plastic tipped Woodleigh Hydros (300WM).

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

#283183 - 01/06/16 06:39 AM

Quote:

Ripp I must confess that nothing has so far,I screwed a set of talley one piece rings on it and a 30mm Zeiss Victory sits on top too.

I have been waiting for the 'right moment" and I`m still waiting...sort of hoping my worn out body heals a bit more.
I shot a couple of deer yesterday with my .358 NM and it could have been the nosler just as easily.

Gundog asked me on the phone the other day the same thing!

Keep prompting me and I will get off my arse and get her going.I have plenty of ammo and I still havent used the container of plastic tipped Woodleigh Hydros (300WM).

No time like the present..

Let us know when you get her fired up..

FYI--I've been shooting the 26Nosler and had a 28Nosler built using a Proof Research barrel in a Pierce action--plan to use it this fall for everything from as Daryl puts it "stink goats" to elk..
Suppose to be here by Friday..plan to use Swift Scirocco' and the new Hornady ELD's ..

thx

Ripp

--------------------

Edited by Ripp (01/06/16 07:05 AM)

gryphon
.450 member

#283197 - 01/06/16 10:17 AM

Oh well I got her out and took a pic today..thats a big start ha ha!

That build of yours is something I wouldnt mind having myself!

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

#283217 - 02/06/16 12:40 AM

Quote:

Oh well I got her out and took a pic today..thats a big start ha ha!

That build of yours is something I wouldnt mind having myself!

Nice looking setup. What is the total weight of rifle/scope ??? I read Zeiss has come out with an entirely new line of upper end scopes..it appears the zeiss diavari series is not longer being made...

http://www.zeiss.com/sports-optics/en_us/hunting/riflescopes/victory-riflescopes.html

The 300 should put the hurt on more than one animals down there..

Ripp

--------------------

Edited by Ripp (02/06/16 12:43 AM)

gryphon
.450 member

#283233 - 02/06/16 05:18 AM

Art lucky I have 'some' answers, a mate came up for a visit before I picked this one up and weighed my deer rifles with a handy digital hook scale.
So I cant give you a real total for the Nosler. As you can see it still wears the plastic barrel sleeve.I reckon that will come off and make it .25 of an ounce lighter lol. I have no way of accurately weighing the Nosler atm thus.

five rifles ranged from 8.84 lbs up to 9.43 lbs with a variety of scopes,outside of those, one .300 W M is only 7.35 lbs,its a pared down barrel lightweight wood stocked job...the heaviest is a 26" barrelled 308 NM wood stock.

The scope pictured was a NIB job that I got for a tidy price,discontinued or not it will still carry my wants for the life of the rifle.
Its funny as a 300 Sako TRG-S always seemed " a heavy solid bastard" at 9.30 lbs yet my old W 7 MM comes in at 9.13 lbs. Bugger all diff,yet feels much lighter!

None are too heavy to carry in the bush for me.

--------------------

Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
      #283254 - 02/06/16 05:44 PM

G'Day Fella's,

Not much serious experience with the Nosler 48 rifles, apart from handling one.
Outwardly, the action seems to be based on (or is?) a Howa 1500/Weatherby Vanguard?
From the images in the Nosler Catalog, this seems to confirm my above suspicions.
I'm not bagging the Howa 1500, they are a great action, it's just the Nosler are a lot dearer than a Howa.

I'm pretty well sold on Kimber rifles these days, especially if you are shooting a .308 Win (Kimber 84M), or .30-06 (84L) based cartridge.
The action is based and sized (in Diameter), to suit these cases, which helps keep the overall weight down to a minimum.
Something to remember, I don't have huge hands, so the Kimber feels good in my hands. It may feel a bit "Match Stick" like, if you have big hands!

Hope that helps

Doh!
Homer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

gryphon
.450 member

Re: Nosler M48 Patriot rifles [Re: Homer]
      #283260 - 02/06/16 07:00 PM

Dont matter if Mahatma Gandhi made it in Hindu heaven, or Charlie Manson made it in his shed,it`ll kill anything that jumps up in front of it ha ha.

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Nosler M48 Patriot rifles [Re: Homer]
      #283274 - 03/06/16 12:55 AM

Quote:

G'Day Fella's,

Not much serious experience with the Nosler 48 rifles, apart from handling one.
Outwardly, the action seems to be based on (or is?) a Howa 1500/Weatherby Vanguard?
From the images in the Nosler Catalog, this seems to confirm my above suspicions.
I'm not bagging the Howa 1500, they are a great action, it's just the Nosler are a lot dearer than a Howa.

I'm pretty well sold on Kimber rifles these days, especially if you are shooting a .308 Win (Kimber 84M), or .30-06 (84L) based cartridge.
The action is based and sized (in Diameter), to suit these cases, which helps keep the overall weight down to a minimum.
Something to remember, I don't have huge hands, so the Kimber feels good in my hands. It may feel a bit "Match Stick" like, if you have big hands!

Hope that helps

Doh!
Homer

My wife has a little Kimber in 308 Win...pencil barrel ..lightweight and shoots incredibly...even with Factory Nosler loads with 165 gr Accubonds..1/2 to 3/4 " at 100 yrds...plenty good for elk or deer...and impressive really for quality you get along with the price...

Ripp

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

#283275 - 03/06/16 01:01 AM

Quote:

Art lucky I have 'some' answers, a mate came up for a visit before I picked this one up and weighed my deer rifles with a handy digital hook scale.
So I cant give you a real total for the Nosler. As you can see it still wears the plastic barrel sleeve.I reckon that will come off and make it .25 of an ounce lighter lol. I have no way of accurately weighing the Nosler atm thus.

five rifles ranged from 8.84 lbs up to 9.43 lbs with a variety of scopes,outside of those, one .300 W M is only 7.35 lbs,its a pared down barrel lightweight wood stocked job...the heaviest is a 26" barrelled 308 NM wood stock.

The scope pictured was a NIB job that I got for a tidy price,discontinued or not it will still carry my wants for the life of the rifle.
Its funny as a 300 Sako TRG-S always seemed " a heavy solid bastard" at 9.30 lbs yet my old W 7 MM comes in at 9.13 lbs. Bugger all diff,yet feels much lighter!

None are too heavy to carry in the bush for me.

I was just curious on the weight as I am looking and researching different weight combos for high mtn hunting...for me--from about 9000ft and up..every extra pound is noticeable after a few days hiking...so trying to keep those rifles i use for that as light but yet shootable as possible..

The Rifles Inc I took to Azerbaijan was 6 1/2 lbs all in with Zeiss 4-14 Scope..and is very accurate as well chambered in 280AI...The one coming in early next week in 6lbs 2oz without the scope but includes bases and rings...this is in 28 Nosler..so the few extra ounces may be appreciated while shooting ..still for these guns, ,my thoughts are, I carry them a heck of a lot more than I shoot them..so weight is an issue..but also need them to be dead on when the opportunity arises for the cross canyon shots that I have worked hard to get to..

Ripp

--------------------

gryphon
.450 member

#283285 - 03/06/16 05:09 AM

Most of my rifles have been pro bedded,I cant remember what medium was used but it adds to the weight of course,but then helps them to shoot better.
The little 6 pounders in 300 mag certainly will want to jump out of ones hands at the shot.

I remember freaking out at using a long barrelled HS Precision 300 WM with a monster Swaro on top in the Wicklow Mountains in Ireland.
The fukn thing weighed around 11.5 lbs from memory! My mate carried it into the zone,I shot the Sika,he carried the deer out in a deer sack (great idea) and I carried the fukn rifle back about three kilometres in some shit walking terrain.
Even though in a buoyant mood with my good shot and the whole overall experience that fukn fluted giant was fukn heavy!Way over the top for a sambar hunters bush.

I also took sika with a sister rifle in .270 Win that was a tad lighter,not much!The Irish boys,both hard tough hard walking bastards took it in their stride.

Its everyone to their own of course with their needs and having done the south island NZ fun walks Shanks style carrying several different rifles I doubt if I actually would have noticed whether my 7mm would have benefited me a pound lighter..a toothpick in that alpine terrain is too heavy.
There are some sambar hunters that carry O+U double rifles..like wtf for!
One barrel is heavy enough for me!

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

#283309 - 03/06/16 10:09 AM

Quote:

Most of my rifles have been pro bedded,I cant remember what medium was used but it adds to the weight of course,but then helps them to shoot better.
The little 6 pounders in 300 mag certainly will want to jump out of ones hands at the shot.

I remember freaking out at using a long barrelled HS Precision 300 WM with a monster Swaro on top in the Wicklow Mountains in Ireland.
The fukn thing weighed around 11.5 lbs from memory! My mate carried it into the zone,I shot the Sika,he carried the deer out in a deer sack (great idea) and I carried the fukn rifle back about three kilometres in some shit walking terrain.
Even though in a buoyant mood with my good shot and the whole overall experience that fukn fluted giant was fukn heavy!Way over the top for a sambar hunters bush.

I also took sika with a sister rifle in .270 Win that was a tad lighter,not much!The Irish boys,both hard tough hard walking bastards took it in their stride.

Its everyone to their own of course with their needs and having done the south island NZ fun walks Shanks style carrying several different rifles I doubt if I actually would have noticed whether my 7mm would have benefited me a pound lighter..a toothpick in that alpine terrain is too heavy.
There are some sambar hunters that carry O+U double rifles..like wtf for!
One barrel is heavy enough for me!

I have a very good friend who has the exact rifle you describe..an HS Pro Hunter in 300RUM with a Swaro on it..he went to Northern BC last fall and also took it when we went to Kyrgyzstan..he said never again..and I have to agree..I will NOT carry a 9-10 lb rifle around in the mtns for a week or more..absolutely no need in todays world..many options out there with very good accuracy and 7lbs or less in total weight...

As to those hunting with an O/U rifle in the mtn--again, each to their own, but I will not do that either..I used a Blaser when hunting in Spain a few months back..and that was actually very comfortable to carry, well balanced and shot very nice..but again, the hunting in Spain is not what it is in Kyrgyzstan or Azerbaijan in terms of difficult terrain..in those I stick with as light as possible that will still get the job done...

Ripp

--------------------

gundog
.275 member

Reged: 16/10/10
Loc: Victoria, Australia
      #283659 - 09/06/16 07:08 PM

When I come up yr way next Gryph, we'll sort out that Nosler & the 338.

gryphon
.450 member

Re: Nosler M48 Patriot rifles [Re: gundog]
      #283688 - 10/06/16 06:56 AM

Ha ha..too right one thing that pisses me off is having to go 'check or sight in a rifle/rifles'
I soon get the absolute boredom shits with it hence "ah that`ll fkn do"

Like my 358NM I rolled a pair of deer with last week...I know from the last sight in it was one inch high at a 100 and one inch LEFT...as the mate with me at the bench said 'arent you gonna shift it over'..fck that`ll do for my bush hunts.

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #283692 - 10/06/16 07:47 AM

Quote:

.he said never again..and I have to agree..I will NOT carry a 9-10 lb rifle around in the mtns for a week or more..absolutely no need in todays world..many options out there with very good accuracy and 7lbs or less in total weight...
Ripp

So - my 11 pound 4 ounce model 1876 .50/95 is out of the question, eh! You'd really not like my .45 cal Sharps at 12# 4ounces, I assume.

I can't climb the mountains any more, anyway. BUT - I don't have to walk far to get an elk, moose or deer - good thing - eh?

Good thing my favourite, the 14 bore cap lock only weights 9 1/2 pounds.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Yochanan
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/03
Loc: Volksdiktatur Schweden
Re: Nosler M48 Patriot rifles [Re: DarylS]
      #283694 - 10/06/16 08:28 AM

A friend of mine from Austria uses nothing but a very light kiplauf rifle for the steep and high places. A very light and nimble rifle but the recoil can be brutal in magnum chamberings.

--------------------
© "I have never been able to appreciate 'shock' as applied to killing big game. It seems to me that you cannot kill an elephant weighing six tons by ´shock´unless you advocate the use of a field gun." - W.D.M. Bell: Wanderings of an Elephant Hunter.

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Nosler M48 Patriot rifles [Re: Yochanan]
      #283722 - 11/06/16 12:24 AM

Quote:

A friend of mine from Austria uses nothing but a very light kiplauf rifle for the steep and high places. A very light and nimble rifle but the recoil can be brutal in magnum chamberings.

If/when I go on a serious mtn hunt, I weigh everything..but refuse to use any rifle over 7.5 lbs--and preferably lighter...as I previously stated, on my last hunt I used a Lex Webernick in 280AI--with scope about 6.5lbs .and shoots like a dream..one of the best I have...

I bought a new backpack before the last hunt. its a STONE GLACIER.. http://www.stoneglacier.com/

was half the weight of my other pack and more room..technology in some/most cases is a beautiful thing...

Ripp

--------------------

gryphon
.450 member

#283733 - 11/06/16 06:35 AM

I picked up a mates Badlands pack one day thinking ah thats the one I have seen online...geezuz the fkn thing weighed so heavy empty I simply cant fathom why anyone would actually buy one.
Those Stoney`s look like RIPPers! But exy too.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 33 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3535

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com