Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: First ever leopard census in India

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Asia

Pages: 1
lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
First ever leopard census in India
      #270177 - 08/09/15 01:25 PM

"First ever leopard census in India shows impressive numbers
Monday, 7 September 2015 - 1:01pm IST | Agency: dna webdesk

The count was conducted along with the tiger census last year and includes the regions in and around habitat across India.

The very first leopard count in India has shown impressive numbers putting the population of the spotted cats at 7,910. The figure excludes the northeastern region of India.

The leopard count was conducted in a similar manner as the usual tiger count where pictures of the leopards were captured using camera-trapping and other evidences were gathered showing evidence of their presence. After this, the numbers are extrapolated to cover the entire forest landscape. The count was conducted along with the tiger census last year and includes the regions in and around habitat across India.

Lead scientist of the tiger census, who presented the leopard figures at Wildlife Institute of India's annual research seminar in Dehradun last week, Yadvendradev V Jhala said, ""There are leopards outside the areas we covered. Based on these numbers, we estimate India's total leopard population to be in the range of 12,000 to 14,000."

Jhala further said, "Most of the leopard populations are contiguous, ensuring a healthy genetic exchange. So, leopards do not face the problems of isolated populations that plague Indian tigers..There's an impression that leopards are everywhere. That's not the case. Leopards need a protected patch of forest to occur in the vicinity. They aren't found in purely agricultural stretches" a leading daily reported. "
http://www.dnaindia.com/india/report-cen...o-14000-2122692

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

Edited by lancaster (08/09/15 01:26 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
larcher
.416 member

Reged: 11/01/05
Loc: Saverne, Alsace, France
Re: First ever leopard census in India [Re: lancaster]
      #270907 - 24/09/15 05:02 AM

Thanks Lancaster

Real good news.
My opinion is slightly different. If leopard tracks are seen, leopard is truely present, and probably booming.
Leopard is such a secretive and talented cat that, rat apart, I don't know of other animals more adaptative.
The such estimated Indian population is encouraging but not impressive. I hope that will lead the Indians not to interfere with it and blissfully let him flourish.
Don't forget that most of hindus won't kill monkeys (and dogs of course) the menu of tom. Hunting is forbiden,what let only leopard to keep game at check. Apart man encroaching leopard risk nothing.
All considered, it's more easy to lure voters, than leopard.
My humble opinion.

--------------------
"I don't want to create an encyclopedic atmosphere here when we might be having a beer instead" P H Capstick in "Safari the last adventure."

Edited by larcher (24/09/15 05:03 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1697

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com