Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Land rovers

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Miscellaneous Topics >> Sporting equipment

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Bidgee
.375 member

Reged: 08/04/15
Loc: Northern Rivers, NSW
Land rovers
      #270058 - 06/09/15 09:28 PM

Opening Pandora's box here!

They say 90% of all Land Rovers manufactured are still on the road. The other 10% have reached their destination.

All Land Rovers are like women - They moan on long journey's, embarrass you in front of friends and you spend more money than you ever expected once you've committed yourself to one.

Police officers shake your hand when they issue you a speeding ticket

Why do most Defenders have jerry cans and gas bottles fitted?
So that the driver can make coffee while waiting for road assistance.

Why do Landys have the best fuel consumption of all 4x4's.
That's because they are always being towed by something else.

Why do LR's always drive in convoy?
The are playing 'Who's the weakest Link'

I always wondered why they called their models, a Series 90, Defender 110 etc. But this weekend I found out, those numbers in the model name are the top speeds.

When you drive on a toll road, you get these yellow emergency phones next to the road. Stop and look closer. On the phones there are emergency numbers: police, ambulance, doctor and Landrover Service .

Q: What do you find on pages 4 and 5 of the Landy's user's manual?
A: The train & bus schedule.

Q: What is the sport-version of a Landy?
A: When the driver wears Nike shoes.

Q: What do you call a Landy with brakes?
A: Customized.

Q: What do you have to do if your Landy gets in the way of a swarm of killer bees?
A: Stop pushing and take refuge inside the car.

Q. Why do the latest models have rear window demisters.
A. To keep the hands warm when pushing.

Q. Why do Landy drivers greet each other when passing by showing their palm.
A. To show that they have not pushed the Landy since the last bath they had.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Land rovers [Re: Bidgee]
      #270062 - 06/09/15 09:46 PM

Absolutely love them.

I think these should all be made into meme's or joke graphics with suitable photos of Landys.

With the NE logo of course.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

MikeRowe
.333 member

Reged: 23/11/11
Loc: Arkansas, USA
Re: Land rovers [Re: NitroX]
      #270063 - 06/09/15 10:21 PM

Around here, you can park a Landrover in town with the keys in it, money for fuel on the seat, and feel safe knowing no one will steal it.

Ahmed577
.333 member

Reged: 13/06/13
Loc: Western Australia
Re: Land rovers [Re: MikeRowe]
      #270065 - 06/09/15 10:54 PM

I am starting to develop a complex. An accoutment to the purdey 200 year battery of 9 is a new defender "90" . It is arriving new in Australia in April 2016. A s-w with factory front flaps & side steps. If anyone in Australia would like to assist with ideas on how to deck it out(including a trailer)you may become eligible for a safari using the outfit complete. British guns need British transport. My troupe carrier will be at a distance following.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Land rovers [Re: Ahmed577]
      #270070 - 07/09/15 12:16 AM

Ahmed,

I will drop a note to Erik. He and his wife "lived" in their Landrover for a year, driving from the North Cape of Norway, to the Cape of Good Hope in South Africa.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Bidgee
.375 member

#270073 - 07/09/15 01:00 AM

Ahmed,

I like the two drawer set up with a slide out fridge on top as done by Drifta. We used a set-up like this 4 years ago in our trip from Cape Town to Angola and found it worked well. You can store almost anything in the large lower drawers but it is easier if loose items are kept in boxes or containers in the drawers. They would be great for transportation of firearms.

Whist the link below shows a Disco and not a 90 it is the same principle.

http://www.drifta.com.au/landrover-discovery-3and4-storage-drawer-package/

Check out their trailer as well.

Cheers

Edited by Bidgee (07/09/15 01:04 AM)

Bidgee
.375 member

#270074 - 07/09/15 01:11 AM

This is all one needs in the bush! I must go and bring her home one day.

larcher
.416 member

Reged: 11/01/05
Loc: Saverne, Alsace, France
      #270081 - 07/09/15 04:57 AM

John
I agree with You, but You and me have seen that he is using a bloody fancy landcruiser, and we both were present when he sold his landy.?????????

By the by Erik do You hear me?

I was the proud owner of a defender that leads me on the verge of divorce, I was spending more for repairing that for my earth.
I then opted for a Nissan, and then I know that what means a permanent nightmare, this truck costed more that the price of this new vehicle.

Since 2004 I am a fan of Toyota and never disappointed.

--------------------
"I don't want to create an encyclopedic atmosphere here when we might be having a beer instead" P H Capstick in "Safari the last adventure."

EricD
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
Re: Land rovers [Re: larcher]
      #270087 - 07/09/15 07:12 AM

Quote:

John
I agree with You, but You and me have seen that he is using a bloody fancy landcruiser, and we both were present when he sold his landy.?????????

By the by Erik do You hear me?

You are typing so loud, that I couldn't help but hear you despite not even being on the internet.

Yes, the Defender that we drove thru 20+ African countries is no longer owned by me, and has been replaced by a Land Cruiser. There is no doubt though that I still love and miss the Defender that we had so many adventures with. Some fun, some not so fun, but interesting memories none the less. Defenders have a certain feeling to them that few other cars have.

As for kitting out a Defender, I have lots of thoughts and ideas of what you need to have, what is nice to have, and what isn't really vital but is just kind of cool. Depending on your needs and how it will be used.

It's a bit late at the moment, and I need to get some stuff ready for work tomorrow, so here's a few things which I personally would not be without if setting up a new Defender:

- Locking diffs front and back. ARB makes decent ones, and the air compressor can also be used to fill up your tyres if you have let the pressure down when driving in soft sand.

- Roller-drawer in the back. Good for storing stuff you don't want flying around.

- Roof rack to store an extra spare wheel/tyre, plus a highlift jack.

- Raised air intake/snorkel. Will keep your airfilter substantially cleaner for longer.

- Engel fridge/freezer, mounted on quickrelease bracket that is mounted to rollerdrawer.

- Zarges cases (or similar) that are dustproof,

- Michelin XZY tyres, depending on where the driving will be done. Not great in mud, but are bombproof compared to most other tyres.

- Extra battery with split-charge system. Make sure main battery is ONLY for starting engine, while extra one is for fridge, winch etc.

- A few extra power outlets in the rear, to hook up external LED camping lights, charge laptop etc.

- Protection under steering, engine, diffs and fueltank.

- Extra fueltank for longer range.

- Winch, with synthetic "wire" rope to save weight. Plus shackles etc. An extra extention rope can be nice to have if trees are few and far inbetween.

- Shovel, axe and other useful tools.

I'll probably think of other things that might be useful by the time I get back home from work in a weeks time.

larcher
.416 member

Re: Land rovers [Re: EricD]
      #270205 - 09/09/15 05:06 AM

Hi Erik

I am very happy that you post again.

I hope You aren't cross because of my ranting against L Rover. In fact I keep a soft spot for the Defender. Right today I saw an old one and was very tempted to try again a Land Rover experience, LRs have so much appeal.

When in Burkina, the Defenders were the rule. Competing with Toyotas on the hunting area, the LR are more fragile but can be repaired immediately on the spot, Toyotas being stronger but when stranded are more tough to be locally repaired.

For customizing the Defender, I can tell that John's Toyota have most of this enhancements, very very impressive and so usefull.

--------------------
"I don't want to create an encyclopedic atmosphere here when we might be having a beer instead" P H Capstick in "Safari the last adventure."

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #270221 - 09/09/15 09:33 AM

Few guys I knew had Land Cruisers during the 80's and 90's. It was the the worst gas guzzling 4X4 known at the time. About the same as a 1 ton Power Wagon.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Land rovers [Re: DarylS]
      #270238 - 09/09/15 09:42 PM

Quote:

For customizing the Defender, I can tell that John's Toyota have most of this enhancements, very very impressive and so usefull.

Ha ha, Larcher exagerates.

Erik's post in brown.

so here's a few things which I personally would not be without if setting up a new Defender:

Mine is a beaten up old 1990 commercial Landcruiser Station Wagon, purchased off the old Electricity Trust of SA. However it still has less thn 200,000 kms on the clock as it is usully only used on the farm other than longer trips for hunting and travel. It will get a visit to panel beater soon and a repaint to fix dents in every pannel on one side when I stuck against a low vine strainer post one by mistake. Had to reverse it out. Plus other sundry dents from bush and farm use.

As mentioned in aprevious thread years ago, I would like it to have zebra stripes, good ones, but too and fro with the idea. Makes one very noticeable, which can be good and useful but sometimes also good to blend with the crowd.

- Locking diffs front and back. ARB makes decent ones, and the air compressor can also be used to fill up your tyres if you have let the pressure down when driving in soft sand.

Carry a good air compressor, but not integral to the vehicle. Standard Landcruiser diffs. I don't believe they are separately differential. Good change to make to a vehicle.

- Roller-drawer in the back. Good for storing stuff you don't want flying around.

Has a two drawer roller drawer in the back. I like this one better than the Landrover's ones which are shorter and much higher and deny space for other things.

- Engel fridge/freezer, mounted on quickrelease bracket that is mounted to rollerdrawer.

The roller drawers in one of the links show a roller drawer OR a fridge on one side. Erik's obvious had lower drawers. My fridge is on an "ad hoc" slide, I open a drawer, pull the fridge out till it rests on the edge of the drawer and then pull the fridge and drawer out together.

I do have plans to get a real fridge slide soon. Had been waiting for a new model to come out which also drops the fridge lower, so shorter wives can see in the engel, and then the "driver, camp setter upper, cook, bbq setter upper, tent and swag unroller etc etc" doesn't also have to get everything out of the engel as well ....

Good idea on quick release brackets. Must see if that is part of the new or old fridge slides for engels from TJM. Don't want them bolted in from the bottom.

On the NT trip this year, I also had a Chescold fridge freezer, separate sections, borrowed from my B-I-L. It allegedly runs on 12v, 240v and gas. I didn't have a gas tube for it, and tried to buy one but no one knew what the fitting was or had hoses for it. We ran it on 240v generator at the camp. Was turned off at night and during the day if the genny ran out of fuel. It was warm inside for the first three days, and only slightly cool after that. Ran it on 240v some nights elsewhere, and 12v on the trip back. I hooked the vehicle up to 240v at home and forgot about it, it finally DID freeze half the inside when checked days later.

The engel on the other had is only fridge or only freezer. It will freeze meat rock hard. And keeps everything nice and cold as a fridge. Much better than the chescold, but one or the other only. Buffalo and crocodile meat was nicely frozen in it for the trip back.

I carried TWO as I wanted to bring back lots of good young tender buffalo meat.

The two battery system only started to run down the extra battery after several days in the hunt. So lasted maybe four or five days before running down the extra battery. Some driving only.

I carry some extension cords, including a long one on a roller, and a power board or two. A EL2000 Honda generator.

- Roof rack to store an extra spare wheel/tyre, plus a highlift jack.

Rock rack, yes. Extra tyre and wheel on top. Another on the swing aside holder on the back, another underneath which is the standard Landcruiser tyre storage spot.

If I could I would with hindsight have gotten the rear bumber allowing TWO tyres to be carried on the back, one on each side. The second could be used for another spare or other stuff such as jerry cans.

I would also like a 12v floodlight on a rising pole on the spare tyre bracket. For some reason 4WD shops have been resistant to do this. Good for camping, but also very useful for farm work at night.

Still have to add a bracket for the highlift jack and long handled shovel either to the roofrack or perferably to the rear tyre cover.

- Raised air intake/snorkel. Will keep your airfilter substantially cleaner for longer.

Good to have. Don't have it. SO MUCH CHEAPER when added as part of a new factory purchase, maybe $70 vs $800.

Very useful for outback river crossings.

- Zarges cases (or similar) that are dustproof,

I had plastic Rhino boxes on the roof, two of them. Tied down and also rachet strapped down. Want to find a way to strap them down so they can be opened with rachet staps. I do like the security of rachet straps though. Another similar box in where the rear seat was, also tied down and half filled with cooking gear, and half with canned and packet food.

Never seen the Zarges aluminium cases in Australia??? They do look useful.

I wonder at the plus or minuses of a Zarges aluminium case vs the thick plastic cases such as the Rhino and other brands. The Zarges see a lot of use from Europe and also military use. The Australian Army and also the US Army I know use the plastic boxes/cases as well.

The Rhino boxes proved 100% dust and waterproof on this short trip, but also other trips and uses. I have probably a doizen of them of various sizes in the farm sheds for tools and other uses.

- Michelin XZY tyres, depending on where the driving will be done. Not great in mud, but are bombproof compared to most other tyres.

I'm just using some standard Bridgestone tyre. Will edit and put the name in. But most of my driving is road, farm and outback track use. Always a bit worry to drive cross country as the chance of staking a tyre becomes so probable that all three spares would be needed.

- Extra battery with split-charge system. Make sure main battery is ONLY for starting engine, while extra one is for fridge, winch etc.

Got that. Very useful. I also carry a jumper large capacity battery separately. Able to jump start a large truck, tractor if needed. I carry this due to a medical issue meaning I need electricity at night. Quieter than a generator.

- A few extra power outlets in the rear, to hook up external LED camping lights, charge laptop etc.

I had some quite unreliable power outlets newly added to the passengers seat wall. Four lighter sockets and four USB sockets. Worked some time and not some time. Not sure why.

There is a single lighter socket in the back which works well. Utilised for the Engle.

To run the Chescold, I ran a 240v powerboard in the back, an extension lead to the front, and a small inverter off one of the lighter sockets. If staying at a motel, I ran an extension cord from the room and plugged in the 240v to run both fridges over night.

A change I would do, is to wire this up better, and have an external 240v plug on the outside, similar to a caravan setup. May never happen though.

- Protection under steering, engine, diffs and fueltank.

Don't have any of this on the Landcruiser. Would be interested in reading more of this.

- Extra fueltank for longer range.

Got the standard 90L tank and the standard auxillary 45L tank. I usually carry an emergency spare 20L jerry can on the roofrack. Sometimes in outback areas, more jerrycans are needed if the drive in is long, and lots of driving expected. One always needs to have enough fuel to get back out in reserve.

I carried a 20L jerrycan for petrol for the generator as well.

I have a Honda EL2000 generator which regulates itself. Useful for some farm jobs as well.

- Winch, with synthetic "wire" rope to save weight. Plus shackles etc. An extra extention rope can be nice to have if trees are few and far inbetween.

Desire a proper winch on the bullbar. With synthetic rope is a good idea. ARB tells me only a hi-mount winch will fit the bullbar they sold me and while VERY good costs over twice the normal expensive price!!!

Carried a trifor hand winch, cable, recovery gear of straps, shackles etc Never used thus hand winch. On trips where we had NO winch, a couple of times we were lucky to get out without one. On the farm, many times have got vehicles bogged, or more than one, but tractors are at most an hours walk away.

- Shovel, axe and other useful tools.

I have a set of some strong South African shovel/axe/saw tools which demount into a roll. But still carry an axe, ahlf sized between a tomahawk and a full sized axe. I would also carry a long handled shovel. They are more than sueful when bogged in mud and for shovelling out under the vehicle.

Probably carry too many tools and spares. BOTH of the two drawers are filled with tools, spares, oil, fluids etc. I would prefer to have one of these reserved for useful camping stuff. Easy to get to.

I also have a good aircompressor good enough for large tractor tyres, and a 12 tonne jack in the back in pockets beside the drawers which can be accessed quite easily without removing fridges or boxes, only the stuff on the sides.

I know Erik also had a simple roof rack popup tent, which is useful if it opens and closes quickly very evening and morning. Pain if you have a base camp but use the vehicle every day. If needing a trailer, mounting the same simple popup tent on a trailer achieves the best result for both scenarios.

Some of these trailer "pop-up" tents nowadays are ridiculously expensive at $20,000 to $30,000 and up ... And leave no real storage space in a trailer. Which is the main purpose for the trailer in my opinion, usually to carry lots of additional fuel and water.

I carried a full sized popup tent. Quick to put up. Not as quick to pack up. Pain as when it is rolled up, it takes the full length of the roofrack on one side so is not compact. Have taken it on a number of trips but rarely used. One this trip again we just used swags. Nice under the stars at night. Northern Australia is also warm enough. At Coober Pedy with ice formed on the windscreen a bit colder. I often carry a quick setup small tent which is compact and use this for overnight needs if under the stars is not possible. Light weight.

Carried two folding/demountable camp beds. I don't believe I have ever used them, but carried them on a number of trips. I wanted luxury on this trip, but still didn't use them.

I like the idea of the awnings which can be run out at the side and/or back of the roof rack. A luxury but good if shade is needed and also useful in light rain for cooking, camping needs, and for putting a swag under.

Water storage is essential. Some vehicles are modified with in vehicle water tanks, with a pump or gravity fed tap. Good idea. All I carried was a 20L water jerry can and a 5L smaller water jerry can. Not adequate in my opinion. DID carry beer, spirits and wine however.

I believe some rear bumper bars have a water reservoir in it,

SAFARI BAR. I know Ahmed needs an excellent spot to securely store his lovely Anderson Wheeler Safari Bar!

My own is more humble and is a four bottle wicker round container. Or sacrifice one bottle and tow or three crystal tumnblers can be inserted there.

Internal cargo barrier is essential if an accident happens. Mine was mounted at the rear of where the rear seat would be. Can be moved forward to a foot behind the front seats. Much safer to have it here if an accident happens. As I had it, any gear where the back seat was could break one's neck in a rollover. Once rolled over my Pajero years ago, with no cargo barrier. Found an axe on the seat next to me. I didn't this time as I want an impromptu bed on the food/cooking gear box where the back seat was. That proved too cramped for me.

Driving lights. I did more driving at night on outback roads than I wanted. My Landcruiser headlights are good and far far better than the old Landcruisers had which were awefuil and absolutely dangerous. However I DO feel a strong NEED for some good driving spotlights to light up the highways well ahead. Doesn't stop a roo, cow or camel coming out at close range at a hop or run though.

An extra bit of gear. A handheld spotlight. Some guys use these all the time "hunt" in Aust, which is often legal. I carry one for searching at night. Sometimes more than useful.

Communications. I have a UHF mounted in the vehicle, which a screw on aerial on the roofrack. I believe it can have a range of say 20 kms or more. I also carry a couple of shorter range hand held UHF radios. Which we carry when hunting for communication if separated or lost.

On the vehicle, I would also mount a GPS carrier, standard vehicle sort of one, and a carrier for a mobile phone. Interesting stayed next to a guy with THREE large thick aerials. He said they were for work purposes, for his mobile, ipad and laptop.

Claydog had a good setup, where he could use his mobile phone card in a satellite phone and no additional costs. Something more than useful especially in an outback emergency.

I carry an emergency radio beacon in my daypack in the outback. So someone can find my bones if I break a leg or get snake bitten.

Good airconditioning is useful. I had mine serviced before leaving home and it hardly worked. In the Top End blew air out like a heater. Second Top End trip like that. Need to take it to a place that actually does fix and service it properly.

I don't have this, mine is more impromptu, using a folding table on top of the pulled out rear sliding drawers. But a fold down table attached to the rear door is cool and useful. I carry some neat steel folding/telescopic cam chairs (were from Opposite Lock) and a folding table for camp use. Gas cylinder and three burner stove, now equipeed with surgical clamps as knobs thanks to gifts from JB. (the plastic knobs were brittle and broke from age, JB had used surgical clamps whcih saved the use of pliers to do the same. )

I hope Ahmed finds something useful from my long waffling here. Not a Landrover, but many things are applicable, even if with different models and slightly different designs.

Erik's Landrover was very well set up for long term camping and also in very remote and difficult countries such as the countries of the Saharra, Western Africa and Central Africa.

One decision is to whether you need the rear seats or use as cargo space.

One thing I would definitely do in your vehicle. Is the integral drawers and also ensure the drawers can be secure and locked. I would make one into a cool, rifle and gun storage rack, for your lovely and expensive new rifles. The Purdey drawer. And good storage for the safari bar, maybe a classic wooden "chop" box too.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#270239 - 09/09/15 09:48 PM

Quote:

Few guys I knew had Land Cruisers during the 80's and 90's. It was the the worst gas guzzling 4X4 known at the time. About the same as a 1 ton Power Wagon.

Landcruiser being the worst gas guzzler?

Petrol or diesel?

Mine on this trip didn't too well. The roof rack and gear, plus speeds I was doing wouldn't have helped. Often did 100 to 125 kmph. Hopefully I can work out some fuel usage numbers from notes. Probably around 6km per litre.

But many Landcruisers get very good fuel economy. The old box shapes didn't help, but if driving at 80 to 90 kmph on my first trip in 1984 we achieved 35 mpg. (mile per imperial gallon). 12.5 km per litre.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

larcher
.416 member

#270250 - 09/09/15 10:46 PM

Never in my life have I seen a 4x4 with so many items. Incredible. For all terrain capacity, also perfect.One clearly see that we are in ARB and DRIFTA country.

regards to : quote"Driving lights. I did more driving at night on outback roads than I wanted. My Landcruiser headlights are good and far far better than the old Landcruisers had which were awefuil and absolutely dangerous. However I DO feel a strong NEED for some good driving spotlights to light up the highways well ahead. Doesn't stop a roo, cow or camel coming out at close range at a hop or run though. quote.

I have rigged my toyota with this inexpensive xenon kit(less than 30 USD, and 30 minutes work) and the result is spectacular, and most of oncoming drivers at night express their anger though I am using the dipped beams.
xenon kit

Add a kit for a comfortable inside lighting
for less than 40 USD. Midday sun in your car.

inside lights

--------------------

Edited by larcher (09/09/15 11:13 PM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#270251 - 09/09/15 11:53 PM

Ahmed's drinks box. His Landrover I think needs to be of this quality and style and also to match the Purdey's.

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=263490&an=&page=0&vc=1

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#270252 - 09/09/15 11:58 PM

One of these could be carried for the "camp rifle rack" with NINE spots for guns and rifles.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

DarylS
.700 member

#270255 - 10/09/15 01:01 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Landcruiser being the worst gas guzzler?

Petrol or diesel?

Mine on this trip didn't too well. The roof rack and gear, plus speeds I was doing wouldn't have helped. Often did 100 to 125 kmph. Hopefully I can work out some fuel usage numbers from notes. Probably around 6km per litre.

But many Landcruisers get very good fuel economy. The old box shapes didn't help, but if driving at 80 to 90 kmph on my first trip in 1984 we achieved 35 mpg. (mile per imperial gallon). 12.5 km per litre.

That's incredible mileage - the straight 6 cylinders the guys were running here were around 12mpg. - Imperial gallon of 160ounces - and they had small fuel tanks as well. Without customization, they made poor hunting buggies.

My Ramcharger was getting 18 at that time. Dodge PWagons were around 12. Talking highway. Of course today, mileage is MUCH better.

--------------------
Daryl

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#270259 - 10/09/15 01:21 AM

I'm thinking as a guess I got about 18 mpg from my Landcruiser this trip. Giving it a highway range of 810 km or 500 miles. At highway speeds and conditions. If driven slower, eg on dirt or gravel, it could be better. If difficult conditions of course worse.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#270261 - 10/09/15 01:52 AM

Seeing this is the "Purdey" Guncarrier, the following might be the sort of standard Ahmed is looking for.

Here the "Holland & Holland Range Rover":
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/holland-and-holland-range-rover-by-overfinch/#slide-329153

Certainly the wood drawer system, provision for the drink cabinet. A suitable hood ornament. Perhaps with the theme of "9", "Purdey" or "200 Year Battery of Nine".

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#270262 - 10/09/15 02:00 AM

Some others? Maybe the earlier ones and current are not suitable for an Ahmed Top End hunting trip? More for a drive from the out of city British house to the pheasant shoot and lunch at the nearby pub or restaurant. But brainstorming ideas.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Bidgee
.375 member

#270376 - 11/09/15 09:02 PM

Bulletproof Landy is now available in RSA.

http://www.wheels24.co.za/NewModels/Bulletproof-Landy-New-Sentinel-barges-into-SA-20150911

Pretoria – The new Range Rover Sentinel is the first luxury, armoured vehicle to be engineered by Land Rover’s Special Vehicle Operations (SVO), hand-built at its Oxford Road factory.

The new bullet-proof 4x4, dubbed 'The Sentinel', uses a Range Rover Autobiography as a platform.

The Sentinel is available in South Africa and interested customers can visit their nearest Land Rover dealership to place an order.

The vehicle is designed, says Land Rover, to withstand threats including 7.62mm high-velocity, armour-piercing incendiary bullets. It's capable of protecting occupants against up to 15kg Trinitrotoluene (TNT) blasts and defend against grenade explosions (from beneath the floor and above the roof).

A six-piece armoured passenger cell, comprised of high-strength steel, provides protection to occupants. For visibility, it uses multi-laminated armoured privacy glass with bullet protection.

The automaker says the Range Rover Sentinel is "fully certified to VR8 standard against ballistic threats independent organisation by QinetiQ".

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#270386 - 12/09/15 01:47 AM

And weighs 12 tonnes ...

--------------------
John aka NitroX

DarylS
.700 member

#270387 - 12/09/15 01:50 AM

12 tons - is that long tonnes? WOW anyway. My Hemi PU only weighs 3.12 tons. Of course, it isn't bullet proof. LOL

--------------------
Daryl

Bidgee
.375 member

#270392 - 12/09/15 03:22 AM

Hehehehe....at 12 tonnes think how many gallons per mile it would do. It would make my old petrol Landcruiser look like a fuel miser.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#270394 - 12/09/15 03:42 AM

I made that up. No idea of its hefty armoured weight. I do remember watching a documentary on Salman Rushdie and the he was driven to a cottage in the country. The tyre tracks from the car fitted with armour were said to be very noticeable.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

DarylS
.700 member

#270427 - 12/09/15 11:56 PM

Armour is not light, however 4 or even 5T might be quite possible even considering the small size.

--------------------
Daryl

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
      #270707 - 19/09/15 05:28 PM

Came in late, didn't have time to read everything but wouldn't be offended anyway...!

Here's my old one:

1982 Stage 1 V-8 Safari Wagon with all the usual extras.
Just missing the custom walnut wine cooler.....

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
Re: Land rovers [Re: Marrakai]
      #271851 - 18/10/15 09:47 PM

Love it Marraki!
I have been driving a diesel Prado for about fifteen years now but am considering giving a Defender 110 ago

GD
.224 member

Reged: 24/03/16
Loc: Scotland
Re: Land rovers [Re: ozhunter]
      #279981 - 29/03/16 02:00 AM

Hi folks
I have a friend who owns and runs a shoot as well as a game farm in Sweden, we were travelling one day to collect some hen pheasants and I asked him if the Landrover was a popular vehicle amongst hunters he replied " In Sweden we have a saying that goes all Landrover owners when they die they go to Heaven" I asked why's that then ? Hans replied "They have had their Hell on Earth !!
I can sympathise I have used them professionally as a gamekeeper and stalker as well as driving an armoured version known as a "snatch wagon" in Northern Ireland.
All the best from Scotland.
GD

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: Land rovers [Re: GD]
      #279987 - 29/03/16 05:31 AM

Bidgee that Series 1 is worth far more than you may think to the LR boys.

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 10934

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com