Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Calibers for Africa- Members' survey

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Calibers for Africa- Members' survey [Re: larcher]
      #266114 - 08/06/15 10:04 PM

Quote:

IMHO the better calibres ever are that you have chosen. Because half of the pleasure of going on safari is about to rejoice yourself with whath you are opting for. Every day training, every day checking loads, doubting no end, and so on. The "old hands" are pleased to provide you with recipes, and this way getting a lot of joy enbodying your hunt.
Keep on the good job on trying to do the best with what your are planning. Unconsciously and because you're no fool, you have taken advantage of thousands of advices from books and from forums and that lead you to no fool options.
Hunting in Africa is the first reason to buy special rifles. So be it, fulfill your dream first and don't opt for shortcuts as this is all about your pleasure first.
Asking advices? the older the hunter the minimalist his options will be, with his OWN (I insist on own) choice.
My absolute recommendation is follow your feeling and what please You most.
My egoitical peronnal option is using my seasonned Sauer 375 for almost every game, and my chapuis 470 that I never used in Africa, prefering to travel light. Stupid option but I stand to it, perhaps because I now haven't the tenth of Your commitment.
Try liberally you options. I wish You plenty of fun and also doubts and regrets so as to once again test your talents in this never ending quest for Africa hunting.
Good luck my friend and don't forget that quite a lot are living your adventure by your proxy.
Please forgive my poor English, that comes from my heart and my odd personnal believes. Good luck

Very well stated

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Rell
.375 member

Reged: 03/12/04
Loc: Oyster Bay, NY, USA
Re: Calibers for Africa- Members' survey [Re: NitroX]
      #266116 - 08/06/15 10:43 PM

An interesting question was brought up about what has not been chosen and I think that is an interesting topic to explore.

My choice for PG is a rifle you can shoot really well to 300 yards and shoot from all positions, prone being the decider so to speak. I can shoot my 9.3x62 and 336-06 prone but not my 375h&h or 300 weatherby. So I guess that leaves them out as dedicated PG rifles for me.

I don't shoot 470, 378 weatherby, 458 Lott well at all. Just to much recoil for me to do my best work. So for me they are out as well. I had rifles in all of these calibers and they are long since sold. So that leaves the GMA 375H&H or the 450-400 double.

I guess that leaves me with 450-400 3' and the 9.3x62.

--------------------
450-400, 9.3x74r and 7x65r.

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
Re: Calibers for Africa- Members' survey [Re: Rell]
      #266136 - 09/06/15 06:16 AM

Quote:

I guess that leaves me with 450-400 3' and the 9.3x62.

How could you possibly go wrong with those two?

svaneknop
.224 member

Reged: 11/10/05
Loc: Denmark
Re: Calibers for Africa- Members' survey [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #266781 - 22/06/15 02:04 AM

I have always brought a
375 H&H for plains game
450 Rigby Rimless for dangerous game and a
475 NO.2 NE if things got difficult.

Edited by svaneknop (22/06/15 02:14 AM)

Cazadero
.375 member

Reged: 17/10/11
Loc: Texas
Re: Calibers for Africa- Members' survey [Re: Ripp]
      #266796 - 22/06/15 10:52 AM

Quote:

Asking advices? the older the hunter the minimalist his options will be, with his OWN (I insist on own) choice.

Ripp

HAHAHAHA

Agree 100%

(I'll be 50 years old in 6 months BTW)

PapaScarface
.224 member

Reged: 28/08/15
Loc: NSW, Australia
Re: Calibers for Africa- Members' survey [Re: dracb]
      #269797 - 30/08/15 08:13 PM

For the species i would love to hunt in Africa (warthog, bushbuck, baboon, hyena, steenbok and waterbuck) and style of hunting safari id enjoy in Africa i would love to take,

A lee speed style .303 replica.
And a scoped .375HH bolt.

BB416
.275 member

Reged: 01/10/13
Loc: QLD Australia
Re: Calibers for Africa- Members' survey [Re: PapaScarface]
      #269811 - 31/08/15 12:13 PM

1. 30/06
2. 450/400 3 inch
or
1 30/06
2. If I was to take a bolt gun 416 Ruger
The 30/06 worked well for me hunting PG in Namibia last year and wouldn't hesitate to take it back again should the opportunity arise

202T
.224 member

Reged: 05/08/15
Loc: Northern Territory, Australia
Re: Calibers for Africa- Members' survey [Re: BB416]
      #269813 - 31/08/15 01:31 PM

300 win mag for plains game
416 rigby for dangerous game

--------------------
Mans got to know his limitations

gwh
.333 member

Reged: 28/01/08
Loc: Cairns Australia
      #269851 - 01/09/15 09:29 AM

Plains: 375 h and h.

Dg: 470 NE

--------------------
Hunt hard, shoot straight

"I speak of Africa and golden joys; the joy of wandering through lonely lands; the joy of hunting the mighty and terrible lords of the wilderness, the cunning, the wary and the grim"

Theodore Roosevelt, Khartoum, 1910

SharpsNitro
.375 member

Reged: 12/08/08
Loc: Arizona, USA
Re: Calibers for Africa- Members' survey [Re: gwh]
      #269857 - 01/09/15 12:20 PM

I could go a couple of ways. For a classic two-gun arrangement I would choose a magazine rifle in 300H&H (Ideally a British classic Mauser) for plains game and a Krieghoff Big 5 in 500NE for the big stuff (I like the K-gun design which makes it perfectly safe to slog around loaded). For a minimalist approach I would go for a Dakota 76 Traveler in 338LM/416Rigby.

larcher
.416 member

Reged: 11/01/05
Loc: Saverne, Alsace, France
Re: Calibers for Africa- Members' survey [Re: SharpsNitro]
      #269874 - 02/09/15 02:20 AM

As regards rifles, I will simply state that I have tried the following : -416, -450/-400, 360, 350, -318, 275 and -256. At the time I possessed the double -400 I also had a 275. Sometimes I used one and sometimes the other, and it began to dawn on me that when an elephant was hit in the right place with the 275 it died just as quickly as when hit with the -400, and, vice versa, when the bullet from either rifle was wrongly placed death did not ensue. In pursuance of this train of thought I wired both triggers of the double •450/-400 together, so that when I pulled the rear one both barrels went off simultaneously. By doing this I obtained the equivalent of 800 grs. of lead propelled by 120 grs. of cordite. The net result was still the same. If wrongly placed, the 800 grs. from the -400 had no more effect than the 200 grs. from the 275. For years after that I continued to use the -275 and the -256 in all kinds of country and for all kinds of game. Each hunter should use the weapon he has most confidence .
The stampede or rush straight towards the shot was a fairly frequent occurrence in my experience; and if one were convinced that the animals were charging, one would have to write down the buffalo as an extremely dangerous animal were it not for the ease with which they are killed with end-on delivered solid bullets. Of course, flesh wounds are no good. The vitals must be raked. But in thick stuff the target is so close and so big that no one should miss it, as for all game of this nature a reliable magazine rifle is streets ahead of a double. In a mix-up with buffalo in bush it is sometimes necessary to fire four or even five shots in rapid succession, and for this the double is mere handicap.

WANDERINGS OF AN ELEPHANT HUNTER

--------------------
"I don't want to create an encyclopedic atmosphere here when we might be having a beer instead" P H Capstick in "Safari the last adventure."

Edited by larcher (02/09/15 02:29 AM)

Viti80
.224 member

Reged: 26/08/15
Loc: Brisbane Australia
      #269944 - 03/09/15 09:28 AM

After recently completing my first African hunting trip, I can honestly say I was very happy to have my 375H&H with me. I only hunted plains game, but was also involved in a cape buff and hippo hunt. The 375 performed very well on the game I took and certainly provided a degree of perceived confidence when along on the DG hunts (next time I will have a couple of solids on hand!).

My pics would be;

375H&H (used 270gr Woodleigh PP last time)
470NE Double (one day lol, from what I saw they work very well)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Calibers for Africa- Members' survey [Re: Viti80]
      #269950 - 03/09/15 03:05 PM

Quote:

After recently completing my first African hunting trip, I can honestly say I was very happy to have my 375H&H with me. I only hunted plains game, but was also involved in a cape buff and hippo hunt. The 375 performed very well on the game I took and certainly provided a degree of perceived confidence when along on the DG hunts (next time I will have a couple of solids on hand!).

My pics would be;

375H&H (used 270gr Woodleigh PP last time)
470NE Double (one day lol, from what I saw they work very well)

Two good choices for a DG hunt.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#269951 - 03/09/15 03:08 PM

Quote:

As regards rifles, I will simply state that I have tried the following : -416, -450/-400, 360, 350, -318, 275 and -256. At the time I possessed the double -400 I also had a 275. Sometimes I used one and sometimes the other, and it began to dawn on me that when an elephant was hit in the right place with the 275 it died just as quickly as when hit with the -400, and, vice versa, when the bullet from either rifle was wrongly placed death did not ensue. In pursuance of this train of thought I wired both triggers of the double •450/-400 together, so that when I pulled the rear one both barrels went off simultaneously. By doing this I obtained the equivalent of 800 grs. of lead propelled by 120 grs. of cordite. The net result was still the same. If wrongly placed, the 800 grs. from the -400 had no more effect than the 200 grs. from the 275. For years after that I continued to use the -275 and the -256 in all kinds of country and for all kinds of game. Each hunter should use the weapon he has most confidence .
The stampede or rush straight towards the shot was a fairly frequent occurrence in my experience; and if one were convinced that the animals were charging, one would have to write down the buffalo as an extremely dangerous animal were it not for the ease with which they are killed with end-on delivered solid bullets. Of course, flesh wounds are no good. The vitals must be raked. But in thick stuff the target is so close and so big that no one should miss it, as for all game of this nature a reliable magazine rifle is streets ahead of a double. In a mix-up with buffalo in bush it is sometimes necessary to fire four or even five shots in rapid succession, and for this the double is mere handicap.

The masters words, WDM Bell.

Larcher, interesting to read his comments on buffalo, eh? About the raking FMJ shot. But I think going even against our water buffalo with a 6.5mm or 7mm is good, but only when the shots are all placed perfectly. And not for a charge !!!

Bell is famous for the 7x57 or .275 Rigby but actually used a .318 for much of his career. The .330/.06 sized round with 250 gr porojectiles some regard as the perfect buffalo rifle, even if it is usually not legal today.

Bell also preferred the FMJ bullet.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Rell
.375 member

Reged: 03/12/04
Loc: Oyster Bay, NY, USA
      #269959 - 03/09/15 09:54 PM

My impression is that he prefered the FMJ because the soft points where unreliable. My guess would be that he would use Barnes TSX bullets today for everything but Ele.

--------------------
450-400, 9.3x74r and 7x65r.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #269962 - 03/09/15 11:25 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The masters words, WDM Bell.

Larcher, interesting to read his comments on buffalo, eh? About the raking FMJ shot. But I think going even against our water buffalo with a 6.5mm or 7mm is good, but only when the shots are all placed perfectly. And not for a charge !!!

Bell is famous for the 7x57 or .275 Rigby but actually used a .318 for much of his career. The .330/.06 sized round with 250 gr porojectiles some regard as the perfect buffalo rifle, even if it is usually not legal today.

Bell also preferred the FMJ bullet.

FMJ is king when it comes to penetration in my experience...first buffalo I took in Zim was running away after the first shot through the lungs with a 400 gr A-Frame..ran 3 Barnes Solids up the rear end..dropped him..recovered 2 but one made it all the way out..impressive results...caliber was .416 Rem..which IMHO, is the perfect buff gun.

Ripp
Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

grandveneur
.400 member

Reged: 21/09/08
Loc: France / Germany
      #379883 - 07/10/23 04:47 AM

It is a shame that the thread went under, but perhaps unfortunately the number of African hunters, member of the forum, has reduced in the meantime.

I prefer not to say which cartridge I used mainly in Africa, although some people probably know it. I have always hunted big game, plain game only marginally as an opportunity. Therefore, a caliber choice that is more in the big bore range. In the meantime, I went back once again to the classic, namely the cartridge 375 H&H Magnum for shooting a buffalo.

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: Calibers for Africa- Members' survey [Re: grandveneur]
      #379905 - 08/10/23 09:35 PM

grandveneur, you were allways a satisfied user of the 460 WM what surprised me allways because reading decades ago it have the same energy like a 600 NE. not that there is anything wrong with this concept, must be a flat shooting killer. with a hard solid bullet it must penetrat any elephant but the recoil of this rifle is bone crashing and teeth rattling in my imagination.
well, I never see a 460 WM or had one rifle in my hands.

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

grandveneur
.400 member

Re: Calibers for Africa- Members' survey [Re: lancaster]
      #379913 - 09/10/23 02:46 AM

Despite everything, the cartridge 460 WBY-Magnum will remain my first choice when it comes to hunting especially buffalos. But I don't know if I will hunt buffalos again.

I also own a rifle caliber 500 Schüler that was primarily intended for hunting elephants and it was used for that several times. I would like to use it once again for an elephant hunt.

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
      #379916 - 09/10/23 04:32 AM

Quote:

Despite everything, .

so recoil is little bit to much to have fun when shooting this caliber?

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

grandveneur
.400 member

Re: Calibers for Africa- Members' survey [Re: lancaster]
      #379917 - 09/10/23 04:46 AM

The recoil of the weapon is not the problem, but its weight and therefore top-heavy. As I get older, this causes me problems getting the weapon to my shoulder quickly. The recoil of my rifle caliber 500 Schüler is much stronger but the weapon is lighter and better balanced. This rifle will be preferred in the next few years, be it for many reasons I have to take rental rifles and satisfy me with smaller calibers for hunting big game. But I want not shoot an elephant with a cartridge 375 H&H Magnum.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#379945 - 10/10/23 08:19 PM

Good thread to reopen. Yes in addition to the good guys on NE today,we need some of these and others over the last 23 years or so to return and join in again. Gentlemen, forget ffffing faecesbook.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#379955 - 11/10/23 12:01 AM

I'm going to cut Colin's post into a new thread.

New thread here:

Update on Ahmed/Colin's Purdey and Boss batteries
http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=379954

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#379996 - 12/10/23 04:00 PM

Any Creedmoors heading to Africa?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #380001 - 12/10/23 06:31 PM

I think, with the right bullets in the right area, a 6.3X62 or 6.3x64 could do it all.
Baring that, a .375 would suffice.
Stopping guns, no, but hunting guns extraordinaire - for someone who can shoot, of course.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 81 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 31473

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com