Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Who has regulated a blaser S2 Safari model double rifle?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
mchughcb
.333 member

Reged: 21/02/14
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Who has regulated a blaser S2 Safari model double rifle?
      #269154 - 11/08/15 11:29 PM

Need help. Regulated the standard S2 but the safari version is a different beast.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Postman
.375 member

Reged: 25/09/13
Loc: Canada
Re: Who has regulated a blaser S2 Safari model double rifle? [Re: mchughcb]
      #269174 - 12/08/15 08:16 AM

Bin there. Done that.

If modifying loads and or bullets won't cut it for you then you may wish to perform adjustments.

There is a wedge between the barrel set that can be adjusted to add or remove stress between the barrels. Adding stress makes the muzzles point inwards and draws the left/right shot groupings together. Relieving stress has the opposite effect.

If the shot patterns are such that one barrel is printing higher than another, this is where things become tricky because there is no adjustment for this. You can try different loads to try to draw the shot patterns together or you can take matters into your own hands and pretend you're a middle ages Knights of the round table era blacksmith which is what I did. There is a soft brass yoke that acts as a cap on the muzzle end of the barrel set. I turned the gun upside down, rested one barrel (the one shooting high) on a block of wood and gently swat ithe yoke on the barrel side of the barrel shooting low with a ball peen hammer sufficient to ever so slightly to bend the yoke. This is not a sanctioned method to regulate this rifle and you are TOTALLY on your own in assuming the risk of breakage and/or degree of success. It did work for me but it sure felt like I was committing a crime of great magnitude in treating an expensive double rifle in this fashion. Mine was a .470NE.

Good luck and let us know what you end up doing.

mchughcb
.333 member

Re: Who has regulated a blaser S2 Safari model double rifle? [Re: Postman]
      #269187 - 12/08/15 06:33 PM

Thankyou very much. One barrel is shooting high by 6inches at 25 yards. I'll see if this expensive rifle can be beaten into submission or regulation.

TonyD227
.300 member

Reged: 09/07/15
Loc: NSW Australia
      #269190 - 12/08/15 08:40 PM

The other option is contact a good gunsmith and see what he can do for you.

I am taking my Sabatti to John Clapham ( http://www.jkprecision.net/ ) in the Blue Mtns to synch mine.

He used to work for Merkel and so has some experience with DR's

--------------------
When to much recoil is just not enough.

poprivit
.333 member

Reged: 09/04/07
Loc: Las Vegas, NV
Re: Who has regulated a blaser S2 Safari model double rifle? [Re: TonyD227]
      #269197 - 12/08/15 11:52 PM

I sent both of mine back. One crossed at 25 yards, the other would not chamber in the right bbl. Turns out the W-R ammo that it was built for (not regulated - used a laser for that), had a thinner rim than SAAMI specs. The 470 had never been assembled, and I had to gunsmith it to make the bbls fit in the action.
Phlaaaat!!!

mchughcb
.333 member

Re: Who has regulated a blaser S2 Safari model double rifle? [Re: poprivit]
      #269210 - 13/08/15 08:06 AM

Thanks Tony but if I can't fix it easily it will be going back to mialls. John Kenyon I trust and ive used their indoor range before so any adjustment, test firing can be done very quickly.

mchughcb
.333 member

#269458 - 20/08/15 10:35 PM

Well Poprivit. What I found today was that indeed the barrels do cross at about 20 yards. Using the factory regulated ammo at 100m I had the right barrel shooting 100mm high. The left barrel was shooting 130mm low and 40mm to the right of the POI of the right barrel. The right barrel shoots POI at 200m but I run out of ammo to see where the left barrel shot at 200m. My guess it may even be off target. I know this probably good enough for a standard hunt, but he's keen to use it for sambar hunting where I know he may have to shoot 250m with it and I wanted the right barrel to be at least good for that.

Also very interesting was that some neck sized reloads which I confirmed shot to the same poi as the RWS 300gr factory loads would chamber in the right barrel but not in the left. So I've told my mate to make sure its all FLS.

So where do we go from here? Well I can't adjust the vertical I don't think but he's keen to reduce the stress in the wedge and get the barrels crossing closer to 100m. I'm not sure if this is possible and he's wondering if it may also bring the barrels down closer together. The reload that shot the same was 64gr of 2208 with a 270gr Woodleigh which is far cheaper than the RWS factory ammo.

We'll see how we go again in a couple of weeks.

cheers
chuck

poprivit
.333 member

Reged: 09/04/07
Loc: Las Vegas, NV
      #269459 - 20/08/15 11:32 PM

Well chuck, my friend, I got rid of my S2 just exactly for the reasons you mentioned. That was over four years ago. Looks like the manufacturer hasn't changed one bloody thing.

BTW; Be careful what you play with with the bbl. open. That little steel block inside the action can, and will, drop out with little effort. Hell of a thing to have happen with a buffalo on the barrels!

I'm back to using my Ruger #1; accurate as hell, and usually one shot does the job.

If Blasers were free, I'd use a Baikal!

mchughcb
.333 member

Re: Who has regulated a blaser S2 Safari model double rifle? [Re: poprivit]
      #269460 - 21/08/15 12:00 AM

Never had a problem with the standard S2 in 9.3 x74R and I've posted here but this beast is something else.

Postman
.375 member

#269464 - 21/08/15 07:50 AM

Quote:

Never had a problem with the standard S2 in 9.3 x74R and I've posted here but this beast is something else.

So, did you work up the nerve to swat it with a 2 pound ball peen hammer? I got mine to regulate perfectly at 100 yards. I did eventually trade it off for a whole host of other reasons, but accuracy was not one of them! Using a scope, each individual barrel was typical of Blaser accuracy, rendering a group that could be covered by a quarter dollar coin. Post-ball peen hammer swat, the composite group was an inch apart and on the same horizontal plane at 100 yards, but it took extreme measures to get it there. The doubles I currently own, while not as perfect in the accuracy department are very good, and all are traditionally built with soldered ribs and regulated by craftsmen at the factory. I have had a couple that were less good, but these also ended up as trade ins. None were remotely as pitiful as the Blaser in it's pre-ball peen hammer modified state.

mchughcb
.333 member

#269466 - 21/08/15 11:01 AM

No, I haven't smote the barrels because its not my rifle. I would like to leave it to a professional. The repeatability of each barrels are good because both repeat shots formed one hole groups with each barrel. Only problem is them being apart.

mchughcb
.333 member

#269471 - 21/08/15 09:13 PM

Good news, it appears the factory is going to send out the jig so we can do it. No need for the ball peen hammer just yet!!

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #269716 - 28/08/15 10:44 PM

Let us know if it works.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

mchughcb
.333 member

Re: Who has regulated a blaser S2 Safari model double rifle? [Re: NitroX]
      #269762 - 29/08/15 03:32 PM

3 weeks to get it from the factory.

mchughcb
.333 member

#269864 - 01/09/15 05:24 PM

I think we've worked out how to adjust it. We built a jig from a ceramic tile. We then clamped the monoblock to the tile. The barrels were not level. Loosening the end cap we then clamped both barrels to the tile so they were level. Then we tightened up the end cap which clamps to the left barrel. This keeps the barrels at the same twist relative to each other. Will test fire later.

Edited by mchughcb (01/09/15 05:25 PM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #269897 - 02/09/15 02:18 PM

If the barrels were not level perhaps the answer has been found. Hoping it works out when tested.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

mchughcb
.333 member

Re: Who has regulated a blaser S2 Safari model double rifle? [Re: NitroX]
      #269925 - 02/09/15 08:16 PM

As bad as all this sounds get it to work it means that you can regulate a safari double rifle for whatever ammo you prefer. Might upset the purists but speer 270gr are a cheap reloading proposition for a rifle that is predominately going to be used for hunting sambar.

I have a suspicion that I may have unwittingly contributed to the problem by taking the end cap off for initial inspection not knowing they kept the barrels twist relative to the monoblock.

Postman
.375 member

#269947 - 03/09/15 11:36 AM

Would it be sacriledge to suggest it felt good to smack this abomination with a 2 pound ball peen hammer? I must admit though, the tilting block lockup was a god send to a budding load workup virgin...... Cost me several thousand dollars to exit the .470 Blaser so I may be harbouring a touch of bitterness......

At any rate, I'm very happy that you have this sorted.

Best,

Oaktree

Edited by Postman (03/09/15 11:39 AM)

mchughcb
.333 member

#269958 - 03/09/15 09:02 PM

Don't feel too bad postman. We haven't fired it yet, nor received the factory jig, we are just working it out ourselves. I suspect the previous owner had a similar problem and exited without solving it, dropping many dollars in the process. Hopefully I'll have an answer by next week when we can get to the range if its better or in a few weeks if we have to send it back to the gunsmith to do it properly.

mchughcb
.333 member

#270287 - 10/09/15 03:43 PM

Done. its regulated 1.5" high and 1.5" apart at 100m with Woodleigh 270gr and 64gr of 2208. All you need is three wood clamps, a flat piece of wood or ceramic, a 2mm Allen key and a torx key and a bit of patience.

No hammer required lol!

Edited by mchughcb (10/09/15 03:44 PM)

mchughcb
.333 member

#270292 - 10/09/15 04:29 PM

This is how we did it.

First get a flat piece of board (wood/ceramic). Cut a hole in the board so that the monoblock hooks can fit in and the end of the monoblock is near the end. Lay it down flat and then use a wood clamp to clamp the monoblock tight to the board tight. The muzzle should just be over the other end of the board so that you can access the torx screw on the barrel cap whilst it is pinned down. Next insert two, 1.5mm spaces under each barrel. Slightly loosen the torx screw. The split will open and allow the barrels twist. Now clamp each barrel really tight to board with the spaces underneath. When everything is tight then retightened the torx screw on the barrel cap and the split will close and tighten on the left barrel. This will lock the left barrel relative to the right barrel.

Test fire and you should see that both bullets are level or very close to level. If not repeat with different spaces if required until they are level. I'd then consider putting Loctite on the screw so it never easily comes loose again.

Now if the barrels are crossing too early, you need to loosen the wedge in the centre. There are three 2mm allen key screws there. Loosen the two outer ones first then with only 1/8 of a turn slowly undo until you get the barrels crossing at the regulated distance.

I'd like to post the regulation at 100m but I don't know how to post pictures on this forum.

cheers chuck.

mchughcb
.333 member

#270348 - 11/09/15 09:40 AM

Before Regulation at 50m. The 270 Woodie (left and right) shows how far they were out.

After Regulation, 100m left and right barrel using the 270 Woodie

mchughcb
.333 member

#270349 - 11/09/15 09:47 AM

Quote:

Would it be sacriledge to suggest it felt good to smack this abomination with a 2 pound ball peen hammer? I must admit though, the tilting block lockup was a god send to a budding load workup virgin...... Cost me several thousand dollars to exit the .470 Blaser so I may be harbouring a touch of bitterness......

At any rate, I'm very happy that you have this sorted.

Best,

Oaktree

Oaktree, what you have done by hitting the barrel cap is to actually twist the barrels in relation to each other. By hitting it you have rotated the barrel cap on one of the barrels until they were regulated. This is not the recommended way to do it. You should have loosed the clamp by undoing the torx screw on the barrel cap. These relaxes the barrel cap clamp on the left barrel. The trick is then to follow my instructions before then retighten the torx screw which will inturn tighten the clamp on the left barrel and keep the barrels twisted relative to each other according to the regulation required.

I do not under any circumstances recommend belting the cap with a hammer, if you managed to move the cap you have move the cap whilst it has clamped, if it doesn't twist back because you've loosened it, you may have removed your blueing on the barrel as you have rotated the clamp without loosening.

If you have a half decent scope and a bit of time you should be able to regulate to 200m which I would do for a 375H&H.

mchughcb
.333 member

#270350 - 11/09/15 09:54 AM

The horizontal split in the cap from the left barrel actually forms a clamp. Tightening this torx screw through this split makes it clamp to the left barrel and holds the right barrel in position to the left. It also holds the foresight and rib together.

Its a neat bit of engineering.

Edited by mchughcb (11/09/15 09:58 AM)

Postman
.375 member

#270354 - 11/09/15 11:20 AM

Hi Mchughcb:

Wonderful you got it sorted. Curious though, Is it possible to have both barrels print exactly on the same horizontal plane using your method?

It looks like one barrel is printing above the other from your photos. I don't believe I was dealing with any torque forces in my case. The barrels were pinned in the mono block, and were essentially loose in the yoke when I loosened and then tightened the pinch bolt, ergo no tortional stress in my case. I tightened the yoke, smacked it, noted a slight bend in it's shape, didn't mar the blueing - total luck, but that' s how it came out..... But in my case, the barrels printed perfectly even on the horizontal plane. I applied ever greater tension to the wedge to draw the barrel groups tighter together until nearing the point of cross over. I actually went past the cross over point and had to relieve some wedge tension in order to get where I wanted to end up.

You've applied much more science to this whole affair than I ever imagined possible. There is a reason why I am not a machinist by trade (or any other vocation that requires more patience than what is required for simple instant gratification)

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 143 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 8497

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com