Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Bear might be put down after hiker killed

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Pages: 1
lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Bear might be put down after hiker killed
      #269091 - 09/08/15 05:28 PM

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/08/08/us/yellowstone-grizzly-bear-attack-hiker-dead-feat/
"Bear might be put down after hiker killed

By Emanuella Grinberg, CNN

(CNN)A preliminary investigation into a hiker's death in Yellowstone National Park suggests the man was attacked by a grizzly bear.

While the exact cause of death has not been determined, investigators said they identified what appear to be defensive wounds on the victim's forearms, Yellowstone National Park said in a statement Saturday. A forensic autopsy is scheduled for Monday.

The victim, whose name has not been released, was found Friday in a popular off-trail area less than a mile from Elephant Back Loop Trail -- an area he was known to frequent. His body was partially eaten and covered.

Based on partial tracks found at the scene, it appears that an adult female grizzly and at least one cub were present and likely involved in the incident near Yellowstone Lake, the statement said.

The Montana man was a long-term seasonal employee of Medcor, the company that operates three urgent care clinics in Yellowstone. An experienced hiker, he had worked and lived in Yellowstone for five seasons, the statement said.

He was reported missing on Friday morning when he did not report for work. A park ranger found his body. Additional park rangers and wildlife biologists responded to the scene and gathered evidence for bear DNA recovery. The investigation continued Saturday, though heavy rainfall in the area hampered additional evidence recovery.

Wildlife biologists set bear traps in the area on Friday evening. If bears are trapped and identified as having been involved in the attack, they will be euthanized.

"We may not be able to conclusively determine the circumstances of this bear attack, but we will not risk public safety," Yellowstone National Park Superintendent Dan Wenk said. "We are deeply saddened by this tragedy and our hearts go out to the family and friends of the victim as they work to cope with the loss of someone who loved Yellowstone so very much."

The Elephant Back Loop Trail and immediate area is closed until further notice. Signs are posted and maps of the closure area are available at park visitor centers.

The grizzly bear population in the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem is estimated to be to between 674 and 839 in 2014, according to the National Park Service. Park regulations state people must stay 100 yards away from bears.

Deadly encounters between bears and humans are rare in national parks and national forests. Four fatalities were reported from 2010 to 2014."

proably looking like this
http://www.montanahunting.org/1600lb-man-eating-grizzly-killed-in-alaska/

Edited by lancaster (09/08/15 05:30 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Bear might be put down after hiker killed [Re: lancaster]
      #269100 - 10/08/15 02:09 AM

It happens - & most unfortunately for his family.

Usually to unarmed people who think parks are safe places to camp or hike with 'tame' wildlife. Sooner or later, the correct circumstances develop for an attack to happen. Protection of food source, protection of cubs, territory or simply a predatory attack - it happens.

We have had a few in the Canadian National parks as well, where firearms are not allowed to be carried. For many years I've tried to convince my family members NOT to hike or camp in the parks or where such game inhabits (most everywhere here) - they still do it.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Bear might be put down after hiker killed [Re: DarylS]
      #269115 - 11/08/15 01:19 AM

Quote:

It happens - & most unfortunately for his family.

Usually to unarmed people who think parks are safe places to camp or hike with 'tame' wildlife. Sooner or later, the correct circumstances develop for an attack to happen. Protection of food source, protection of cubs, territory or simply a predatory attack - it happens.

We have had a few in the Canadian National parks as well, where firearms are not allowed to be carried. For many years I've tried to convince my family members NOT to hike or camp in the parks or where such game inhabits (most everywhere here) - they still do it.

Unbelievable as it is, a law was actually passed here in the USA a couple years back where now you are allowed to carry in the parks..having said that I can only imagine the shit storm you would face if you actually pulled it out and used it..especially in enemy territory like California ...

Yellowstone has had its share of grizzly incidences in the past few years...the story of 6-800 bears is pure BS...that is the same number they were touting when I moved here 26 years ago. I am really good friends with a now retired F&G officer who said even in the 90's there was over 1000..unless they no longer mate, think of that number...they are everywhere here now and expanding every year into new areas...

As you state Daryl, I personally NEVER hike anymore without a gun on me..the little woman prefers pepper spray..but my thoughts are with a bullet you don't have to worry about which direction the wind is coming from..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: Bear might be put down after hiker killed [Re: Ripp]
      #269116 - 11/08/15 01:34 AM

I see McGrizz as the top predator so if you have grizzlys around there will be such storys every year, sometimes ending with dead bear and sometimes with dead human.

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

DarylS
.700 member

#269117 - 11/08/15 02:04 AM

It happens. Sometimes even fishing can be quite interesting.

--------------------
Daryl

Ripp
.577 member

#269120 - 11/08/15 05:19 AM

I read of a study last winter where collared grizzlies were tracked some during hunting season..

What they found was pretty interesting..some would follow hunters at a distance all day long waiting for them to get a kill..OR once the shot was heard, they were literally coming at a run towards the "dinner bell"...have read this before about deer being shot on Kodiak..but interesting to see it happens here as well...

This is why we keep a loaded Marlin Guide Gun in Camp when camping with the family..and a handgun on the hip for one of those "just in case moments"..

Ripp

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

#269122 - 11/08/15 05:33 AM

More info in Yellowstone Grizzlies..

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and...h_all_dt_tw_top

--------------------

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #269128 - 11/08/15 08:44 AM

I would think that with large numbers of bears and an increasing population of them, the number of bear related fatalities will increase. Good luck to the rangers trying to keep the number down.

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Bear might be put down after hiker killed [Re: Rule303]
      #269130 - 11/08/15 09:34 AM

HA! - found this in the link.

"That was how grizzlies were treated if they injured humans in the early days of Yellowstone: They were killed."

Now, in the later days, they are ONLY euthanized - LOL.

--------------------
Daryl

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Bear might be put down after hiker killed [Re: Rule303]
      #269156 - 11/08/15 11:44 PM

Quote:

I would think that with large numbers of bears and an increasing population of them, the number of bear related fatalities will increase. Good luck to the rangers trying to keep the number down.

Read in the local paper this morning and 2 things stuck out..

1. no pepper spray or other means of self defense..
2. he is the 6th death by grizzlies in the Yellowstone area since 2010..

Crazy idea, but really??? People should know better, especially those in the area that have significant experience there..lots of bears..be prepared...feel horrible for his family..but, bad mistake on his part..

Ripp

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

#269198 - 13/08/15 12:15 AM

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnew...lled-hiker.html

--------------------

szihn
.400 member

Reged: 24/06/07
Loc: Wind River Valley, Wyoming
      #269200 - 13/08/15 12:54 AM

Just a note to think about
I live on one of the major routs to Yellowstone. I have been there and I have hunted around the borders of the park many times. There are a LOT of bears and a lot of wolves too.
Yellowstone National Park is a lot bigger than most people realize. 3,468 square miles. It's about 2-1/2 times bigger then the whole state of Rhode Island. It's larger than the state of Delaware. Over 3 million people visit it every summer. So when you understand that it is as big as some states, and has a summer time population of that size you are not surprised to learn that many people die there every year. More just "go missing".

So keep in mind that when the papers say that X many people have been killed by Grizzlies since 2000, what that really means is that US Fish and Wildlife and US Parks Service have 100% proof that X many were killed by Grizzlies. Those that probably were killed are never mentioned, but many dozens more may be "gone" and we'd never hear a word about them. It's bad for the economy of the park, and the authorities that be do not want people being armed even though it's 100% lawful to carry firearms in the park.
The US Government is mostly dedicated to discouraging armed citizens these days and they try to keep the actual laws under wraps as much as they can, but it is legal to carry in the park.
Bears and wolf packs are not anything to play down. I have lived here many years. I have personally never had a problem with a grizzly, but I have have has a horse badly mauled by wolves. I do not let my guard down. I NEVER go out there without at least a powerful handgun (454 Casull) and most times I carry a rifle too.
Paranoid?
No, I don't think so.
I have fire extinguishers in my home and I wear a seat belt when I drive. That doesn't mean I intend on burning my house or crashing my truck. But I realize that such things can and do happen to people, and I am "a people" so I take precautions as much as I can. That is only sensible. People without common sense will say different, but they speak out of ignorance and are often brain washed by the "facts" given to them by the mass-media which is strongly influenced by the financial and political interests of government.

Edited by szihn (13/08/15 12:56 AM)

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Bear might be put down after hiker killed [Re: szihn]
      #269211 - 13/08/15 08:09 AM

Agree Steve with you comments..

Again in our local paper this morning was an article that they are NOW trapping grizzlies south of our town in an effort to get a more accurate count. Which in the end, the REAL number we will never know..they have to keep them on the endangered species list..SO, need to keep that number down...

Dang it..they do not reproduce..they only exist...

Ripp

--------------------

Cazadero
.375 member

Reged: 17/10/11
Loc: Texas
      #269216 - 13/08/15 11:28 AM

The world is a more interesting place knowing that the bear is out there.

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Bear might be put down after hiker killed [Re: Cazadero]
      #269231 - 13/08/15 11:00 PM

Quote:

The world is a more interesting place knowing that the bear is out there.

A lot of truth in that statement....

Keeps you on your toes just a bit more....

Ripp

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3288

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com