Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: How do I get a paid gig like this ???

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Fishing

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
How do I get a paid gig like this ???
      #267845 - 12/07/15 02:24 PM

I was only just thinking, I am in the wrong business and need to become a greenie in order to get access to all the filthy lucre out there for "environmentalists" who don't seem to actually work much ... and found this story.

How can I get a paid gig fishing and wandering around the outback, making up BS theories to support BS conclusions?

My sarcastic 'humour' in red.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-07-12/cl...h-finds/6611082

PhD student James Shelley at a waterhole in the northern Kimberley PHOTO: Researcher James Shelley fishing in the northern Kimberley, where he is part of a team investigating the resilience of freshwater fish in the region to climate change.

DAMN! Looks like a tough place to do some fishing !

Entire species of tropical fish could be wiped out by climate change, according to a research team that has spent months carrying out a study in Western Australia's north.

The team from the University of Melbourne is looking at how sensitive freshwater species are to small increases in water temperatures.

PhD student Matthew Le Feuvre said the results were cause for concern.

"We're finding a lot of species are living potentially very close to their maximum thermal limit, so these species will be very sensitive should the climate change in the Kimberley," Mr Le Feuvre said.

We'll arrive at a beautiful spot in the Kimberley with a ute and a trailer fully loaded with sampling gear and a tinny.

Researcher Matthew Le Feuvre holds a sooty grunter fish in WA's Kimberley
PHOTO: Matthew Le Feuvre holds a sooty grunter fish, one of the Kimberley species being studied under the project.

"If water temperatures and air temperatures increase by just a degree or two, you could potentially see a lot of species fail to adapt and go extinct as a result, or at least become far more vulnerable."

The team focussed on 18 species that are found only in the river systems of the Kimberley.

Yeah right, the sooty grunter is only found in the Kymberleys and is "rare".

As Dick Eussen said elsewhere "found all over the North of Australia. " Any of you guys remember Dick?

A mate fished some in Arnhemland in a small inland stream with a handline last time we were there buffalo hunting. Reported here on NE.

Until now, little research has been done on the river systems, partly because they are located in remote areas accessible only by helicopter or boat.

The University of Melbourne study involved eight months of trekking and camping in some of the most rugged terrain in Australia, to allow researchers to collect specimens.

HELLS BELLS! A 8 month paid fishing holiday! Life is tough for eco-scientists.

"We'll arrive at a beautiful spot in the Kimberley with a ute and a trailer fully loaded with sampling gear and a tinny, and then we basically throw the whole kitchen sink at it," Le Feuvre said.

a carton of beer or three and have a nice nap, then a bit of fishing, a feed of fresh fish, then another nap, time for another beer ...

"We use a variety of nets, a baited underwater video camera, and we use an electro-fisher, which basically stuns the fish in the water and then you can scoop them out, which is a really useful tool for sampling fish.

"We also use traditional hook and line fishing techniques and also snorkelling, so we use a whole lot of methods at each site for a couple of days."

The fish were packed into customised eskies for the 4,000 kilometre flight to laboratories at the University of Melbourne.

Nothing like bringing the catch home for a good feed Down South ...

Testing Begins

In Melbourne, they were put into a flow-rest barometer, to measure the amount of oxygen they consumed as the water temperature was increased in tiny increments.

That is when the sensitivity of the fish was discovered, Mr Le Feuvre said.

"We've found that these species basically fail to function above 34 degrees, which is roughly the temp of the water you find in the Drysdale river in the wet season," he said.

It was found when cooked, it was fried and too hot to be alive any longer ... so we ate them ...

So little research has been done in the remote areas of the Kimberley, and there's so much more work to be done up there.

Scientific Conclusion: Need more global warming funding for another paid fishing trip Up North ...

Environs Kimberley projects officer Jason Fowler
The Kimberley species were also considered to be highly vulnerable because of their unusually limited range.

"The Mitchell Falls Gudgeon [for example] is only found around the Mitchell Falls, so it's only known for a couple of kilometres upstream from the falls, and a couple of kilometres downstream from the falls," Mr Le Feuvre said.

"There's one species from the Drysdale River that’s only been caught once... so it's a really rare species and we failed to find it in more than eight months of fieldwork."

Scientific Conclusion: Need more global warming funding for another paid fishing trip Up North ...

It is hoped the work results in some of the species being added to a national register of threatened species.

While 20 per cent of Australian freshwater fish species are currently included on the register, none of the endemic Kimberley species are listed.

Conservation group Environs Kimberley said the research work was groundbreaking.

Yep, we had to break some ground getting in on the fishing tracks into the good fishing holes with the 4WD ...

"So little research has been done in the remote areas of the Kimberley, and there's so much more work to be done up there," said Marine Projects Officer Jason Fowler.

"It's certainly going to help build a case to protect these river systems."

Scientific Conclusion: I hope this global warming gig lasts forever !!!!!!!!

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Bidgee
.375 member

Reged: 08/04/15
Loc: Northern Rivers, NSW
Re: How do I get a paid gig like this ??? [Re: NitroX]
      #267848 - 12/07/15 02:50 PM

Strewth, I will come with you and write up the scientific paper then we could get funding to conduct a PHD study into the effect do hunting plains game in Tanzania for 12 months followed by deep sea fishing in the Scheycelles for 6 months,...........

We just need to find someone to pay for the PHD funding. It doesn't matter what crap we write as no one ever reads a PhD and there is never any action on them.

Oh and yes, I remember Dick Eussen, he was an excellent outdoor writer.

Edited by Bidgee (12/07/15 02:53 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1713

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com