Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 30-06 Baikal Over Under help needed.

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
zgunbear
.224 member

Reged: 25/06/15
Loc: Spring Hill, TN USA
30-06 Baikal Over Under help needed.
      #267045 - 27/06/15 02:07 PM

This is my first post here.
I recently purchased the IZH 94 version of the 30-06 Express Rife made by Baikal.
I work at a range on Sunday afternoons so I can get free shooting time... dirty job but some one has to do it.
I took the Baikal last Sunday to see how it shoots. The top barrel put 3 bullets through the same hole. The bottom Barrel was about 6 inches high and 5 to the right.
This rifle does not have the jackscrew for barrel adjustment. It has the sleeve with a screw through it
The bottom barrel is fairly loose in the barrel band.
I think the best way to "regulate it is to shim the bottom barrel Then solder it into place.
DO you think this will work?
Is there another method to make it shoot where it should?
The other method I considered was drilling and tapping the barrel band at the 2, 5, 8, and 10 o'clock positions. This would allow me to still have some adjustment. However I don't know how sturdy it would be.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Well_Well_Well
.333 member

Reged: 03/01/07
Loc: Australia
Re: 30-06 Baikal Over Under help needed. [Re: zgunbear]
      #267049 - 27/06/15 06:11 PM

Wow, I'm having trouble getting the height sorted in a sxs, but I've never heard of the o/u having fixed regulation.

You may well be right, fixing it, shooting and soldering may well be the way to go.

Birdhunter50
.375 member

Reged: 03/06/07
Loc: Iowa,U.S.A.
      #267060 - 27/06/15 11:22 PM

Zgunbear,
Don't do any of those things you mentioned to try and fix this, you will make a mess. I went through this including calling the distributor for these guns down in Florida and got no help whatsoever. If I had not had some experience in regulating doubles, I would have been lost also.
Here's the secret to getting your gun to shoot. That device between the barrels with the slots in it is not a screw for adjustment of the barrels. It is instead a blank spacer that is made in two pieces that have been dovetailed together in the middle. In the middle of one head of this device is a small hole with the tip of a plunger showing, that plunger needs to be depressed so that the two pieces of the spacer can be taken apart and taken out.
Originally these spacers were to be sold in different diameters so that a "gunsmith" could adjust you point of impact on the bottom barrel. The problem with that is that they won't sell you one. Because the lower barrel is shooting too high, that means that the spacer is too fat and needs to be turned down. I did this on mine in stages because if you go too far the bottom barrel will always shoot low unless you build it back up again.
Here's the tricky part, you need to measure the distance between the front and mid spacer brackets, on my gun this turned out to be just about 12 inches and I suspect yours is the same. This gives you an adjustment distance, if you will. Then you need to measure your distance to the target and convert that to inches, this is why I did mine at 25 yards). The ratio between these two measurement can be converted to a working ratio.
Since the barrel distance is one foot, this simplifies things somewhat. By converting 25 yards into feet instead, we get 75 one foot segments, this gives us a 1 to 75 ratio. This means that for each one thousandth you remove from the spacer, it will lower the point of impact on the bottom barrel by 75 thousandths at 25 yards. Because you want to lower your point of impact 6 inches, you convert 6 inches into thousandths and divide that by 75 and we find that you need to reduce the spacer by .080" this is exactly what mine was so I know how it will come out.
I used my lathe and reduced it by half that amount just to be safe,.040", and that brought it halfway to the place I wanted it, so after shooting it to verify it, I came back home and reduced it by the second .040" and that put it right on where I wanted it.
The side to side adjustment is much easier,your front sight bracket is pinned onto the upper barrel and the bottom barrel is fitted so that it can expand and shrink according to the different temperatures of each barrel. The pin that holds the bracket to the top barrel, rides in a groove that runs completely around the top barrel, so, in order to adjust the right and left movement of the bottom barrel you simply put a flat bar between them and move it over the way you want it to go.
There is enough friction to hold it where you put it. Always think of the top barrel as being solid and the bottom one as moveable. To begin with you may need to remove the front sight bracket completely so it will loosen up the barrels enough to get the mid spacer out, or you can simply pry the barrels apart till you can slip the spacer out. It helps greatly to have a helper when you do this part. The slots are in the spacer to allow you to rotate it till you can take the two halves apart and the plunger will have to be completely compressed in order to allow the two halves to slide apart sideways. They are dovetailed onto on another. You may want to put them back together while it is being turned down because both halves of it need to be reduced the same amount. Good luck. These are really much better guns than they seem to be at first. Bob

zgunbear
.224 member

Re: 30-06 Baikal Over Under help needed. [Re: Birdhunter50]
      #267061 - 27/06/15 11:49 PM

Thanks for the info. I don't have a lathe. I will have to figure out how to do it. Might have to break down and take it to someone else to get it worked on.

--------------------
I have a 30-06 and a 45-70 side by side rifle by Baikal. I also modified a 12 gauge side by side into a slug gun. My problem has always been champagne and caviar tastes on a generic diet coke and fritos budget.

Birdhunter50
.375 member

#267077 - 28/06/15 07:32 AM

If you don't have a lathe, it would be best to find some one who does and have them turn down the spacer for you. If that is not and option, you could always chuck it up in a drill press and use a file to reduce it, although this will be a slower process, you can do it yourself. Just be sure to measure the spacer first and only take off about half of the extra metal the first time, then go and shoot it to verify the amount you gained. You need to shoot a couple of four shot groups with it, 2 top barrels and 2 bottom barrels, then measure from the center to center of the pairs. Shoot as slowly and accurately as you can over a good solid rest. If you are not shooting real close pairs, stop and rest, because you are pulling the shots. You are checking the guns' progress, not trying to see how well you can shoot it offhand. It may help you if you set the bottom barrel to shoot right over the top barrel first, before you try and set the elevation spread.

zgunbear
.224 member

#267087 - 28/06/15 11:01 AM

how hard is the spacer?
I was shooting at 25 yards so the math should hold up.
For hunting would it be best to set the bottom barrel 1/2 to 3/4 inches lower than then top?
I want it both barrels to shoot parallel.
I am using a 1.25-4.5 scope on it. I am hoping it will be a good hunting rifle.

--------------------
I have a 30-06 and a 45-70 side by side rifle by Baikal. I also modified a 12 gauge side by side into a slug gun. My problem has always been champagne and caviar tastes on a generic diet coke and fritos budget.

Birdhunter50
.375 member

#267111 - 29/06/15 04:19 AM

The spacer is not that hard, you can file it down with a file while holding it in a drill if you want to. Just be sure you keep it round and centered, otherwise your regulation is apt to change as the spacer moves. If you want to try and regulate it so that it shoots parallel then you need to shoot top and bottom barrel groups. Measure the centers of both groups and then regulate it to put the barrels as far apart as the muzzles are.
On my rifle I think I set them to cross at about 50 yards with the top barrel set dead on with the sights at that distance, this will get you on a dear sized target out to at least 125 yards or better. The 06 doesn't drop that much out to 150 or so. I then set the bottom barrel to be used with the scope at longer distances. If I remember correctly I set it to be dead on at 200 yards. I don't attempt to shoot deer any farther than that and would prefer to have them much closer than that. Bob

zgunbear
.224 member

#267764 - 11/07/15 12:31 PM

I realized I forgot to add a picture

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 101 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4761

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com