Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 32 mm Cannon ...

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Paradox and Bore Guns

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
32 mm Cannon ...
      #267460 - 06/07/15 01:30 PM

Not sure of the forum but the BORE one will do.

Looking at a cannon. At a museum shop in Sweden which I visited a couple of years ago, I noticed they were selling a cannon,or cannons, which was hanging over a table in the gift shop. It seemed well and properly made, and had a proper looking touch/fuse hole so at the time I enquired about it to the girls manning the sales counter and yes, they confirmed it was a true black powder firing cannon. The price for the size of cannon was reasonable too ... but at the time I had been told there was no way to legally own one of these in my home state.

Since then I have found that was baloney well currently anyway, who knows when the new legislation comes in ...

So enquired reqarding the cannon to the Swedish museum.

It is only the barrel. For a ship's cannon, so the frame etc would have to be made for it. 1:4 replica. I can't remember the barrel length but probably around three or four feet long. I have been told the calibre is 32 mm and it is a black powder firing cannon.

I assume a custom mould for balls could be made for it ???

If I had the $$$ now I would jump at it. I would have bought one and had it shipped when over there instantly if I had believed in possible. Will have to consider it carefully. $$$ are a problem at the moment which is an impediment.

What do you think? Any practical problems in shooting one, loading for it etc?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
karamoja
.275 member

Reged: 25/04/12
Loc: Herefordshire, GB
Re: 32 mm Cannon ... [Re: NitroX]
      #267494 - 07/07/15 12:03 AM

I know it's the UK but have a look at this http://www.ncagb.com/ their is some information there. I have always wanted a cannon to play with!! Definitely a case of big boys toys!. Also if you look on the Webley site they offer a smoothed bore field canon!
Regards - K

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: 32 mm Cannon ... [Re: karamoja]
      #267498 - 07/07/15 02:28 AM

I-We've been shooting canons at black-powder rendezvous since 1973.

In the 70's Taylor (bro) had a 3" field piece - made from heavy wall seamless tubing, with another collar of the same stuff heat shrunk onto the breach. The collar had the trunions. Taylor made the carriage like a normal early civil war carriage with antique wagon wheel set he found on an old farm. The cannon shot 3" cast iron balls from a gold mill. We used 1/4 to 1/3 pound of 'canon' (ICI 1F-extreemly coarse - chunks up to 3/16" long) powder per shot and the balls were supersonic and invisible in flight.

Here's my bro - aligning the removable sights on Hatchet Jack's cannon. The rear ladder sight, pivots on a pin sticking out from the cascabel. the front sight, is silver brazed to a muzzle plug with a bearing in the centre. Both have counter weights to hold them square with the world. It worked a peach.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  tinker 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2371

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com