Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: PEDERSOLI KODIAK DOUBLE RIFLE, .54 X .54 CALIBER

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
crkennedy1
.375 member

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: Utah
PEDERSOLI KODIAK DOUBLE RIFLE, .54 X .54 CALIBER
      #265103 - 17/05/15 11:41 PM

For anybody interested, I just got this in my email this morning. Looks like a great double for somebody wishing to get into doubles. Doesn't look like they'll ship to Canada, but perhaps Australia? Check it out - .54 cal black powder.

PR0975 PEDERSOLI KODIAK DOUBLE RIFLE, .54 X .54 CALIBER $1,495.00 $1,250.00

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?products_id=3515

--------------------
DOUBLE or NOTHING

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: PEDERSOLI KODIAK DOUBLE RIFLE, .54 X .54 CALIBER [Re: crkennedy1]
      #265121 - 18/05/15 12:21 AM

I sold my .58 Kodiak - a rare one, in that actually regulated with 100gr. to 110gr. of 2F GOEX and a .574" pure lead round ball. It would not regulate as well with a .562" ball with the right barrel grouping 2" above the left at 50yards. with .574" balls and 100gr. the tubes shot together and with 110gr., they shot parallel. With all other loads there was a large elevation difference and the barrels crossed. I've seen 4 other Kodiaks shoot and they all shot 1 to 2 feet apart at 50yards.

I sold it for $550.00 last year at the gun show. That was an appropriate price for the rifle. The price shown is a bit out of line, I think.

If someones does buy it, note there is a 1 pound bar of lead, epoxied into the butt stock, under the plate. Removal of this chunk of lead improves the offhand capability of this piece.

$550.00 or $1,200.00 - it is what it is, I guess. Shouldn't have sold mine.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: PEDERSOLI KODIAK DOUBLE RIFLE, .54 X .54 CALIBER [Re: DarylS]
      #265127 - 18/05/15 12:30 AM

Yep. I haven't got mine to regulate yet. But haven't had a big go at it yet either. So lots of things still to try.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Wayne59
.400 member

Reged: 20/06/15
Loc: Lagrange Ga. USA
Re: PEDERSOLI KODIAK DOUBLE RIFLE, .54 X .54 CALIBER [Re: NitroX]
      #267396 - 05/07/15 10:04 AM

I have one of the Pedersoli in 72 cal. The only way to make this one regulate would be with a torch. May actually be the worst rifle I have ever owned. There quality sure took a nose dive the day this rifle was made.

DarylS
.700 member

Re: PEDERSOLI KODIAK DOUBLE RIFLE, .54 X .54 CALIBER [Re: Wayne59]
      #267397 - 05/07/15 10:40 AM

Sorry to hear that Wayne59. Mine, an earlier rifle also had issues that I corrected.
I cut off the offensive cheek piece, shortened the nipples slightly so the cocks would actually curl over the fences a bit, and filed the rain grooves into the breeches as they should have been made by Pedersoli. I refinished the stock and also removed the 1 pound bar of lead from inside it's buttstock. This improved the handling considerably- making the barrels heavier, for much more accurate offhand shooting. On a DG double, weight between the hands would be more appropriate for fast action. For a Moose and bear rifle, accurate shooting out to 200yards is what is required - barrels-heavy is what is needed, imho, of course.

I also attacked all the silvery parts, T-guard, lock panels and tang with Birchwood Casey's cold blue paste, which darkened them considerably. I also removed the second sight, as it was superfluous after I found the regulations load.

I've been chastised by my brother and the other guys in the BP section of our range for selling it, but then, Taylor says he has less to worry about now that it's gone. I used to revel in 2 fast shots, right, then left on gongs out to 110yards - PBOOM/Clang - BOOM/Clang. It was fun, but there were other toys I wanted more.

For the .54, John, I suggest a l.020" to .022" denim (10ounce) and a .530" round ball of pure or dead-soft lead. The swaged balls from Hornady or Speer would suffice.
Re-crown the muzzles with the end of your thumb and 320grit emery.

A smooth entry is what is required to shoot a decently snug ball and patch that shoots cleanly and never needs to be wiped while shooting.

--------------------
Daryl

Wayne59
.400 member

#267416 - 06/07/15 03:16 AM

The 72 cal is not a lite rifle and it is a good thing. Kicks like a mule. I have loaded the gun up to 125grs and finally got the right barrel to about 4" from the left barrel. You might get the gun to shoot six rounds ( three from each barrel ) into a foot group at fifty yards. The closest I have come to regulation was with 50grs. You might as well throw a rock. By the way 125grs will blow the left hammer back. The rifling has chatter marks all the way down both barrels and they drilled the nipple holes out of line. That meant that I couldn't change the nipples out to musket caps to properly ignite large doses of powder.They are now asking close to 1500.00 for one of these now. They are out of there minds.

DarylS
.700 member

Re: PEDERSOLI KODIAK DOUBLE RIFLE, .54 X .54 CALIBER [Re: Wayne59]
      #267423 - 06/07/15 05:42 AM

Yes, seems much wrong with it.
If the barrels are coming closer together with more powder, it needs more yet.
The supplied nipples have holes that are too large at the bottom. You can get good nipples from www.trackofthewolf.com.

The first thing I did with my Kodiak, was to replace the nipples with new ones and reduce the length of the upper conical area. This was to allow the hammers to sit lower. One must be careful as the main springs will punch out the bottom of the lock mortice, if the hammers overtravel. One could also increase the depth of the cup on the hammer nose- somewhat. A little makes a lot of difference.

As the rifles come from Pedersoli - the hammer noses sit higher than the fence, not curling over it as they should. The fence is just that- it is a FENCE to keep cap fragments from entering your big shiny eyeball. Let that sink in.

In my opinion it is a dangerous design they have put out into the public. They DID NOT FOLLOW normal geometry as shown in even CHEAP rifles of the mid 1800's Euro and English design.

Here is a relatively inexpensive single, cap-lock 11 bore shotgun- by H. Wahll.

Here is a "Low Grade" Manton

Here is my 14 bore English Sporting rifle, modern made, & had to sue a Hawken Breech as the shop was out of English Breeches. My late hunting and BP shooting buddy Brad, is holding my rifle. By holding the Ctrl button and repeatedly pushing the + button (or scrolling the mouse button), the picture will become larger for a closer look. Holding the Ctrl button and pushing the (ZERO) 0 button will return your screen to normal size.

The problem wiht the Pedersoli breech/nipple/hammer relationship is the nipple seat is high on the bolster (not enough metal removed before drilling and threading for the nipple. The nipple seas is not in a low enough depression milled on the back surface of the breech plug, as it needs to be.

--------------------
Daryl

Wayne59
.400 member

#267474 - 06/07/15 06:28 PM

Seems like over the last several years a lot of the manufactures are producing junk. All they are interested in is pumping out as much product as possible. Bought an RCBS press last year and it would not seat any two bullets to the same depth. So then I bought a .416 RCBS mold and one of there sizing dies and the mold would not close properly and the sizing die froze up after sizing only a couple of bullets. There were burs left in the mold and a small steel chip in the sizing die. Next I had to buy a new scale. I had had enough of RCBS so I bought a Lyman. The numbers on the balance beam are not properly alined with the little notches in the top of the beam. I have bought tons of RCBS in the past an Lyman too and they were good products but apparently not any more. I now it sounds pretty far fetched but it is true. From what I hear RCBS is having most of there stuff made in China. Don't know about Lyman.

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 59 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4108

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com