Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Another rear sight question

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Pages: 1
dracb
.300 member

Reged: 28/02/13
Loc: British Columbia
Another rear sight question
      #267328 - 03/07/15 05:21 PM

Back about 40 years ago, somewhat before small companies began to make brass for cartridges that were in common use in the 1800's, British rifles seem to show up in small antique shops and could be ransomed for relatively few dollars. One day at lunch I wandered into Alan Lever's shop shortly after he returned from England and the nice little rifle below followed me home. We have shared a number of hunts over the years and between us have brought home a few deer, bears and moose. Unfortunately my eyes make it difficult to use the sights the manufacturer put on the rifle when it was built. I would like to add an aperture sight to this rifle. Sometime before it came home with me, a previous owner had installed a tang sight. The screw holes for mounting that sight have a spacing of 0.608 inches(+/- a bit). Does anyone here have an idea as to what sight might have been mounted on the tang or lacking that information which sight might fit this improved martini action?

[image)http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn15/dracb1776/DSCN0690_zpscinnzicb.jpg[/image]

Edited by dracb (03/07/15 06:12 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
HuviusModerator
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
Re: Another rear sight question [Re: dracb]
      #267336 - 03/07/15 10:44 PM

That is pretty narrow spacing there.
I would hit some gun shows or search the web for a Lyman or similar sight which has enough length on the base to drill new holes to match your gun.
Is your gun chambered in 500/450 No.2 Musket? Looks like the shorter length action.

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Another rear sight question [Re: Huvius]
      #267340 - 04/07/15 12:42 AM

Those appear to be about the spacing for a .22 Cadet tang mounted peep sight.
Dracb - you might try trackofthewolf.com, a muzzleloading retail sight in the gun parts or sight section for some of their ML tang sights. It could be the Thompson Center or equivelent tang sight might be made to work.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

dracb
.300 member

Re: Another rear sight question [Re: Huvius]
      #267355 - 04/07/15 08:37 AM

It is indeed chambered as No. 2 Musket

--------------------
"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

TH44
.375 member

Reged: 21/02/09
Loc: West UK
Re: Another rear sight question [Re: dracb]
      #267389 - 05/07/15 07:58 AM

dracb - I am sorry I cannot help you with the tang sight, the only one I have is far too short
Possibly mount a thin block to fit the existing screw holes (countersunk) and fit a suitable sight to mount on that

Many thanks for posting such a superb example of Westley Richard's 1869 patent "Improved Martini"
(they were competitors to Martinis, slightly earlier, only sharing the hinged block) with best quality engraving

The .450 No. 2 Musket is arguably a much better cartridge than the .577/450 and is good to load as well as taking most game under the right conditions

I hope you get the right sight for your eyes (mine are also getting old!) and good luck

TH44

dracb
.300 member

Re: Another rear sight question [Re: TH44]
      #267403 - 05/07/15 05:15 PM

TH44,

thank you for the idea of mounting a block with screw spacing matching that of the previous tang sight installation. that concept opens to door to many other options.

--------------------
"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 38 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2326

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com