Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: BGRC moving targets?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
Dr_Deer
.300 member

Reged: 23/02/09
Loc: Australia
BGRC moving targets?
      #267323 - 03/07/15 10:41 AM

I was wondering if the engineers here had any good ideas or experience setting up moving target systems for big game rifle practice.

It would be a bit of fun to run an alternative to charging animal - 2 shots each at 75, 50 & 25m in 35 seconds with a rig that moved the target over 50m in 35 seconds.

The only ideas I've had for a means to do this involved remembering the chain loop seen on roo shooters vehicles for removing skins via the aid of an old starter motor running a chain hoist wheel.

Could a light enough chain be run over a 50m loop and run a target frame without bottoming out midway? - I'm sure you'd have to tension the rear pulley against an existing target rail or pegs

Is a 12v starter motor with a cog out of a chain hoist capable of 50m in 35 Seconds?

Any better ideas?

Chain is an expensive initial outlay but at least individual links can be replaced easily enough if shot.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Cazadero
.375 member

Reged: 17/10/11
Loc: Texas
Re: BGRC moving targets? [Re: Dr_Deer]
      #267324 - 03/07/15 01:17 PM

In my admittedly limited but honestly practical DG experience, if you want to replicate dangerous game moving towards you for rifle practice, then you should build a cart with solid wooden wheels with no suspension and have it bouncing over a rough gravel road, and have the silhouette of the animal's head mounted on a coil spring so that it can sway, move, and swing all over the place as it's coming at you.

The "shooting schools" that I've seen on TV where the target moves at a nice, steady, and even pace along a cable are about as real as reality TV.

Just my 2 cents.

Dr_Deer
.300 member

Re: BGRC moving targets? [Re: Cazadero]
      #267325 - 03/07/15 01:37 PM

Cazadero, I know precisely where you are coming from, but such a rig as you describe is by design not going to be able to provide consistency of target presentation between competitors.

Not to mention the chances of someone shooting the wheels off the cart

Edited by Dr_Deer (03/07/15 01:37 PM)

dracb
.300 member

Reged: 28/02/13
Loc: British Columbia
      #267327 - 03/07/15 04:25 PM

Bur neither will a charging beastie

--------------------
"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #267342 - 04/07/15 12:52 AM

Quote:

Cazadero, I know precisely where you are coming from, but such a rig as you describe is by design not going to be able to provide consistency of target presentation between competitors.

Not to mention the chances of someone shooting the wheels off the cart

HA!- that is exactly what happened to the cart made for BC Forestry Shotgun/slug training/testing. One lad from Mackenzie Forest District, with a pistol gripped 12 bore could not hit the advancing bear, but he certainly destroyed the cart - frame and wheels. What a pile of junk - those pistol griped 12 bores! They may be handy for carrying, but are very difficult to shoot accurately when needed.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: BGRC moving targets? [Re: DarylS]
      #267440 - 06/07/15 12:06 PM

Always planned to build my own running and charging target range for practice and fun but never done it to date.

The ADA club has to used to have a running deer target for their annual target shoot. A wire strung between a tree on a hill and a very tall post on the bottom of the hill. The target on runners, slid down the wire pretty well. Manual done, a guy at the top of the hill pull started it with a rope and then got behind a tree, so by the time the target cleared another tree he was behind cover behind a gumtree. Then the target was manually retrieved and pulled back up the hill. Ran nice and fast if given a good starting pull. Not too hard to shoot well with between one to three shots during the shooting zone. If the puller wanted to make it more challenging for a "friend", he gave the rope a tug downwards as well to make the wire and target bounce as well ...

Now if shooting solo or not wanting to have someone in the range area to manually do it, some sort of automatic retrieval system, but makes it more complicated and beyond my engineering abilities ... but would be good.

Shot the Swedish running moose target system for fun with Christer / cchunter, an old member from these forums. I think I passed it two out of three times, with a rifle I 'd never used before. That moose target was not fast and no where near what a real moose is like when appearing out of the forest for a short time and need for a quick reaction. The Swedish target at the range ran on some sort of rails and was automated and ran in both directions. Which is good as it provides shooting both ways that way.

If I ever get mine going, the first attempt "plan" at the moment will probably be a manually retrieved target. On a tensioned wire. With a greased wheel runner system on top of the target on the wire. A weight to hopefully cause the target to start off downhill and gain enough speed. Some sort of remote starting system. Would like a side on running target and also a buffalo charging target for fun. Some sort of track system would make it easier but a lot more to setup and also not a removable system as I would plan to have it. On a "safe" hillside.

Safety is far more of a concern for big bore running shooting than eg for a clay target shooting range, as a errant miss fired projectile will go a long way and if in the wrong direction, could pose big problems. Needs real thought and planning where to put it.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Dr_Deer
.300 member

Re: BGRC moving targets? [Re: NitroX]
      #267655 - 09/07/15 12:08 PM

My thinking here is safety and replaceability.

You put something on a range expect it to be shot, hence chain that can have links replaced rather than needing to replace an entire cable.
Depending on the cost of the motor and drivewheel it might be an idea to mount it at the shooters line rather than 25m ahead - resulting in a target moving from 50m to 0m rather than 75m to 25m.

The question still remains, any engineers here who can suggest weight of chain, size of drive wheel etc, or would the whole thing sag too much over any worthwhile distance?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 98 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1991

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com